Topic: what kind of guitar to look for?

hey all...

i have been playin for too years and i have 2 cheap guitars. one is a KARINA W-160 and the other, a YAMAHA FG-150. i'm looking at getting another one, but not sure what to get  tongue  anyways, HELP!!! i like to play country and pop so some help on choice would be great!   
cheerz

:o____"SHOOT FOR THE MOON, EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONGST THE STARS"____o:

Re: what kind of guitar to look for?

Depending on how much you're willing to spend for that "better" guitar.  For a good midrange (price) guitars, I would suggest Ovation, Takamine, some Martin and Epiphone.  Of course, if you have the funds, a nice Martin, Taylor, Guild, Gibson are also good investment.

cheerz earz  roll

:o____"SHOOT FOR THE MOON, EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONGST THE STARS"____o:

Martin, Taylor, Blue Ridge

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Go to the music store (preferably a small independent but whatever) and without looking at any price tags or brands. play 10-20 different models; pick your top 5. Then look at the tags. Hopefully at least one is in your price range. Yiu can't go wrong with the big names but I always think the one that feels right is the one for you. When your collection and skill level is more advanced then maybe a different approach but I like the blind test drive method myself..
My 2 cents for what they're worth (please note I am a cheap bastard so that could factor into my method)

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My favorite mid range guitar's besides my Carvin, are Simon & Patrick or Seagull.  Made in Canada. Very rich / full sound.

I love my Takamine, and I play alot of country. Great tone for the price

All You Need is Love smile

I have a Seagull S6 Cedar top that sounds great. You can get one around $300.00

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

geoaguiar wrote:

Go to the music store (preferably a small independent but whatever) and without looking at any price tags or brands. play 10-20 different models; pick your top 5. Then look at the tags. Hopefully at least one is in your price range. Yiu can't go wrong with the big names but I always think the one that feels right is the one for you. When your collection and skill level is more advanced then maybe a different approach but I like the blind test drive method myself..
My 2 cents for what they're worth (please note I am a cheap bastard so that could factor into my method)

Good info here from geoguitar. One additional thing I might do after playing the many various guitars in the store and you've found that 'magic guitar' for you is, go home and research the price on said guitar from many various locations. Print out the best advertised price, take it back to the music store you initially went, and see if they'll match the best price you found. It's worth a try at least. There's huge mark-up in musical instruments.

Give everything but up.

And another thing - NEVER pay the asking price on anything. These music stores all have room to lower their price if they want too. Learn to negotiate a better price. Remember it doesn't cost you anything to ask - "what's the best price you'll make me for cash money?"

Nela

SouthPaw41L wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

Good info here from geoguitar. One additional thing I might do after playing the many various guitars in the store and you've found that 'magic guitar' for you is, go home and research the price on said guitar from many various locations. Print out the best advertised price, take it back to the music store you initially went, and see if they'll match the best price you found. It's worth a try at least. There's huge mark-up in musical instruments.

Couldn't agree more. Even the chain stores will drop their prices significantly. Beat them up. If the independent guy is close to the chain stores give him a chance. I'd really hate to see the small music store get extinct. It already seems to be happening in my neck of the woods (New England USA). The service and advice IS worth something.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I notice afew people have suggested the Seagull which I find is a great guitar. It has great action and a lovely tone.  In my estimation it is the best value for your money. I had to move to a high price Martin before I gave up my Seagull.