Topic: Drop tunnings

I find it hard to alt tune my guitar.Not to "D" but it takes me forever to get it to an open "C" for example "She talks to angles" by the black crows in in open C and if I were to play it for a crowd good god they would be waiting forever just wanted to know if there was an easy/faster way or web site that could exp[lain this or teach me tks

Re: Drop tunnings

Sinjin ,
  I don't do much alt tuning ,
except that I have three or four songs that I drop everything on my guitar down one full tone .
  As to your question , I can't see how there would be a faster way . Sometimes I'll just tune one guitar down for those songs and leave one standard so I don't have to mess around . This works great if you have more than one guitar .
   I have also just used the drop tuned guitar and then capoed to play with the other guys . But that would'nt work if you're tuned to open C ...............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

One of the main reasons you see guitarists changing guitars during a performance is for this reason. Some folk artists may use 4 or 5 different guitars during a show because each one is tuned differently. I always thought it was just so they could show off how many guitars they had but now I can see the reason behind it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

anyone want to donate some guitars so I can tune them diff? lol

Hey Alvee ,
   Even doing what I do with the guitars tuned differently ,
I always assumed that performing guitarists used different guitars on different songs , just for a certain sound they wanted , but your explanation makes much more sense........
            Thanks............

Sorry Sinjin , I don't right now , but will ask around ......
                                 L O L

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I prefer to play in open g or "spanish tuning" one finger barre chords so I dont have to throw all those gang signs and get cramps in my fingers trying to hit the chords just right as needed in standard tuning. I can sound like a milllion bucks and only have to use a finger and my bottle slide.

Mcatak ,
   You know , I always wanted to try that after watching Barry and Maurice
Gibb do some of my favorite songs that way , but I was always afraid I would get spoiled ( or lazy ) , and not want to play the other way anymore . I'd be lost , I'd have to completely relearn all my picking patterns and run ups and downs . Might just have to try it anyway.........

8 (edited by mcatak2003 2008-02-29 17:57:56)

I feel like its not being lazy but being smart... wise man once said "work smarter not harder" lol. I also feel like I am learning more and can make myself feel less frustrated by playing in open g. Try it and you may say man I should have tried this sooner. Keith Richards doesn't have a problem with it either...lol

I'm a songwriter and believe some new energy could be on the horizon with alternate tunings. I love the sound of the low e tuned down to d, but would like to know of some particular songs that I could see chord charts for. After I learn a couple covers played this way, I'm sure I can create some original stuff with it. Any ideas?

50ft Queenie from P.J. Harvey is my favorite drop D bit.

Jimmy Page played a lot of alternate tunings, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Terry,
Like Mcatak mentioned, open g (DGDGBD) tuning is the basis for many Keith Richards comps like Honky Tonk Women, Happy, Tumbling Dice on and on.   In fact, for live performances he was known to use a telecaster with no E (6th) string so he wouldn't have to worry about muffling the string.  This may come as a surprise to you, but he would tend to drink some during a show and needed to work smarter, or at least less hard smile 

Open g is also a typical slide tuning used by the likes of Duane Allman, if you like blues.
See if you can find a copy of Richie Havens playing Here comes the Sun.    Very original.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Has anyone heard of Nick Drake? Incredible songwriter who experimented with all types of messed up tunings. Don't even know how his guitar takes it... Tried to play Pink Moon and my high e string snapped twice sad.

I have a song that is supposed to be tuned down one and a half notes.  Do I tune all of the strings down?  When I do, it sounds OK but it still not quite right.  Thanks for the help.

DADGAD is typical of celtic. Free falling/Kashmir/Norweigen wood

Mrjay I know what you mean about Nick Drake.
I love his music but practically all his songs I want to learn are in awkward tunings (From the morning, parasite, place to be)
I'm very reluctant to tune up the B or high E string for fear of snapping them.
You can do Northern Sky and river man in normal tuning - the latter is especially nice (if you can get the rhythm down).

Shane

What do strings cost you? A few bucks a piece? Small price to pay for artistic expression! Hehe.

If you don't already, buy a few extra high E's next time you buy strings and carry them with you. It's saved my night a couple times.

I always played She Talks to Angels in Open E....

We should post a topic about songs in each tuning because when I tune differently I want to learn at least a couple songs before switching back

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

u can always get a tuner. or diferent guitars for diffrent tunings. but if u have the time try tuning it to drop B its crazy low. U can play before i forget by slip not with drop B . u can find it on chordie.com

I agree with etc_04.  Open E is where you want to be with "She Talks to Angels".   You might want to tune to open D and capo the second fret.  That way you open up the door to a ton of songs in D and E.  Everything from Curtis Loew to Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Four Walls of Raiford and Long Haired Country Boy.  The list for Open D or E is as long as the list for Open A or G. Personally, I'm better at open G, but Slim Fatz once told me that "There was no song that couldn't be played in D, and its easier".  That may be true.  Drop D and Double drop D will send you in many directions related to Stephen Stills, and early Bob Dylan.  Play them all.  The guitar is incredibly versatile. Thats the beauty of it.

Now available in 5G !

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati … 001+304381
Here is a link to a cut capo or try Third hand capo! 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

I'm not sure how to solve your little problem there. But if I were hoing to perform 2 songs on stage, one in d-tuning another in say standard ( Won't probably ever happen) I'd bring two guitars, tuned and everything. So if you have the luxury of two guitars; etc...  I haven't read the entire tread so if someone has already mentioned this forget about my suggestion.

(A)                 (C#)     (D-barrè)                  (Cm#)(Bm)
Stand by your guitar, and tell the world you love it!

etc_04,
You are correct, 'She Talks To Angels' is in open E. I like open tunings, but find it a bit frustrating
To retune every time I want to play 'She Talks To Angels' or any other song thats open tuning.
Drop D is a lot easier to get to since all you have to do is drop your top string down one whole
step. I have seen bands play 'She Talks To Angels" In Standard tuning in bars, so it's possible
to play it without retuning!
                               getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!