1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-03 08:19:55)

Topic: GOOD ELECTRIC GUITARS? $$$$$ or $

Some interesting tips for people who haven't the budget to buy a decent guitar.
I assume that this is interesting for AND absolute beginners AND active beginners (1-5 months) AND for skilled people.
If I should ask a chordian, playing since very long (20-40 years), what kind of guitar was the first, he will remember the first guitar he bought. In my case: an acoustic YAMAHA FG 300, a dreadnought but also more in the JUMBO direction. Price in 1977: 300$: not that cheap.

I also want you to know, that here in BELGIUM, EUROPE, entering a music store, the choice was VERY LIMITED. In the USA, it was probably easier, because the stores had 30 years ago more guitars than we had.
MUSIC STORES: CHOICE: Fender Stratocaster (400$), Telecaster who was cheaper back than (350$) and there were the "always attractive" Gibsons. Les Paul Standard, custom and an SG.
In the store here above, I always went inside (1972-1973), still in college, to dream about a Gibson, and to be famous. IT IS NOT FOR NOTHING THAT GIBSON LES PAUL, where probably the most popular to copy.
There is a topic about acoustic guitars, so here is one about electric guitars.
I don't know if I'm right, nut most of people who play guitar, started with an acoustic.
Today: the choice is so huge that it becomes on 1 side easier, on the other: difficult.
When you are going to purchase a guitar, the first thing you will notice is the shape. Sorry for female and also male chordians, you can compare this with a situation in real life: you meet or see someone, and you are attracted to the other.
Now some guitars: being attracted to a guitar is the "starter", you ask a guitar (limit= 500$) and you hold it, and try to play it. Ask a few guitars, in different categories, you plug it in, and there is the sound of an electric guitar, weird to see that YOU produce the noise. That fact is for me a reason to tell: NEVER GO ALONE, take a friend or even your father with you, try at least (5 - 10 guitars), and put the best sounding "for you" aside. USE ALWAYS THE SAME AMP, IN THE SAME POSITION, SO DON'T TOUCH THE AMP. I am trying to find decent guitars, on the site www.zZounds.com, or on www.musiciansfriend.com. We all have a PC, use it to see on those sites what guitars they sell, and ALWAYS READ CUSTOMERS OPINIONS.
You will also see starters packages: guitar + gig bag + amp (10W) enough to produce some sound at home.
- Peavey Predator Plus HB Electric Guitar PRICE: 219,95$ more for hard rock, metal
- Silvertone SMART III guitar amp, a guitar gig bag, an electronic tuner, an extra set of strings, an instructional DVD packed with lessons, picks, a cable and a guitar strap PRICE: 259.95$ and 199.95$ without the starters pack. Comments say: it looks like a Les Paul, and the sound is Les Paulish.
- Epiphone Les Paul 100 PRICE 249.00$, I played 2 Epi's 2 weeks ago, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard: 399.95 $ (very good critics 4 stars), and a Epiphone Special: 149.95$ (critics 3 stars)
I preferred the classic, when comparing the 2 epi's.
- B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock 149.99$, 5 stars, and very special. Same category (THOSE GUITARS YOU WILL SEE GOING TO SEE A HEAVY METAL CONCERT Ibanez RG120 199.99$
4,5 stars: THESE GUITARS are "what I should choose!!!" Some more expensive: 300$-500$
- Gibson Melody Maker: PRICE: 349$, with a bridge single coil. Considering the IMAGE OF GIBSON: IN MEMPHIS I COULD WALK THROUGH THE "HOLY PRODUCTION" ROOM, (making (semi)-hollow guitars,  I WAS SHOCKED AND AMAZED THAT ONLY 7 GUITARS on 10, passed the TEST. The other 3: they destroy them. THIS IS FAR THE CHEAPEST, MOST POPULAR BRAND guitar: a real Gibson for that price. I agree, it is not THE Les Paul, with 2 humbuckers, but this should be MY CHOICE: GIBSON can not afford to produce "bad quality" see 7/10.
- the last: Fender Standard Stratocaster 399$ (a mexican), but almost all people claim that, using a decent amp, you don't hear lot of difference compared to the expensive USA made.

I really hope this topic was helpful, you have the sites, I worked for about 2 hours on this, and I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OTHER CHORDIANS WHAT THEY THINK.

FOR THE MORE EXPERIENCED MEMBERS: PLEASE HELP ME TO GIVE MORE INFORMATION
FOR THE BEGINNERS: PLEASE HELP ME TOO TO GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION

-

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GOOD ELECTRIC GUITARS? $$$$$ or $

thanks

some really good ideas here.

when I started playing I bought a fender squier and twenty year later still play it

some people knock them and I don't know whether the quality of the newest models is quite what it is was - but with a entry level guitar by a respected manufacturer you will always get an instrument that beginners can learn with - although the tonal quality may not be all that great

johncross21 wrote:

thanks

some really good ideas here.

when I started playing I bought a fender squier and twenty year later still play it

some people knock them and I don't know whether the quality of the newest models is quite what it is was - but with a entry level guitar by a respected manufacturer you will always get an instrument that beginners can learn with - although the tonal quality may not be all that great

The newer squire bullets are plywood bodies and the higher end squires are bass wood. Plywood for guitars do not have any tonal qualities what so ever, you might as well make it from press or particial board. Now it your using 9 or 13 ply birch plywood for making seaker cabnits thats a different story but for guitars it just don't cut it.

Bootlegger.

Here, I have to say goodmorning Boot &  you all, the US chordians still sleeping. The European chordians, are out of bed, but awake??? and the down under aussies, well good evening.
Thanks Johncross for your answer.
I wrote this topic, it took me again a lot of time, but I don't regret, in my condition that my days are passing quit fast.
I am feeling sad since a time, don't ask me why, and sunday the 2th of September, it was already 7, SEVEN years that my life changed forever. THE CRASH & hitting a tree.
But this is not about me, it is about ELECTRIC GUITARS.
Boot do you know how to place a picture in here and a chord diagram.
I think the guitars I described are, at least for me, real good guitars.
There are 2 issues: go to Walmart and buy a pack for 99$ (guitar, amp, tuner..), or spending 100$ more to have a quality guitar. Most of these guitars, I've tried them, but at that time I had a big budget. A friend of me gave me his Stagg Telecaster, and I have a telecaster, not for the US market, and limited quantity, more those guitars have the same colour as a car back then. Mine is a tele USA California Beach (reissue 1952). I played and mine and the Stagg. YES there is a (big) difference. It's like driving a Porsche, and changing your car for a little copmact model.
The Stagg Tele is not a bad or inferior guitar at all. If you plug it into an effect processor (like Line 6 POD Floorboard) and you play it loud: you will almost not hear a difference.
But in an amp without any effect like wah-wah or distortion, you will hear it.
PLEASE GIVE ME MORE BRANDS AND PRICES, they can be very helpful for starters.I wrote the topic, because if your budget is only 100$, you can buy a cheap and bad sounding guitar, BUT WITH 50$ extra, you can own an Epiphone Special. I really loved that guitar: sound, solid, simple.
I will look now for guitars below or near to 100$
- Epiphone Collegiate Electric Guitar 99,99$ you can order not only the colour, but if you ask they change  Epiphone decks out this electric guitar with your choice of finish replicating the college's colours and logo of many of America's greatest Alma Maters. The list price was 499$, but is now at musiciansfriend 99,99$. There is ONLY 1 HUMBUCKER: bridge. HAVING AN EPI FOR THIS PRICE: YOU WILL NOT THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY, incredible guitar, to start and to keep. Same price: Epiphone Junior and Ibanez GRX40Z 2001. I should go for the special with logos you can choose.
AGAIN: PLEASE HELP ME FINDING GUITARS: GOOD SOUNDING AND OVERALL QUALITY versus PRICE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

whilst I think you generally get what you pay for in guitars I think the manufacturing in far east and China has had a significant effect on the quality of guitars over recent years. The only thing that I find on the lower priced guitars is the quality of pickups is often poor.
I need another guitar like a moose needs a hat rack, I have Fenders and Gibsons etc but I liked the look of the Reverend range of guitars. Sort of Jaguar / Mustang shapes.
I recently bought a Reverend Charger 2x P90 for £269 (Special offer) from Dolphin music including hard case! The quality of finish and components is amazingly good for the money. It was playable straight out of the box. Sounds like a fat sounding Tele, no naff wooly sounding pickups here.  Cracking guitar for the money.

chordcrasher wrote:

whilst I think you generally get what you pay for in guitars I think the manufacturing in far east and China has had a significant effect on the quality of guitars over recent years. The only thing that I find on the lower priced guitars is the quality of pickups is often poor.
I need another guitar like a moose needs a hat rack, I have Fenders and Gibsons etc but I liked the look of the Reverend range of guitars. Sort of Jaguar / Mustang shapes.
I recently bought a Reverend Charger 2x P90 for £269 (Special offer) from Dolphin music including hard case! The quality of finish and components is amazingly good for the money. It was playable straight out of the box. Sounds like a fat sounding Tele, no naff wooly sounding pickups here.  Cracking guitar for the money.

Chordcrasher:
Check out the michael kelly guitar models patriot and valor series
(www.michaelkellyguitars.com) they use rockfield pickups for the most. I like them very much and the price is right for $100.00 american a set. Check out the sound clip from Ademption on the MK site you'll see (hear) what I mean. The MK's go for $399.00 to $499.00 american.

Bootlegger.

I saw the Michael Kenny guitars, real nice.
I think I mentioned that I went to a music store with me (everything 15% of the retail price), and we tried out some Epi's, more specific SG models. YOU NEED REALLY TO FORGET THAT IT IS NOT A GIBSON SG, but that will remain impossible. EPI = EPI, they are real good, if I would buy me another guitar (still have 30) I would go for the EPIPHONE CUSTOM LP IN WHITE.
I did good business, or better, investments, because all what I own, has doubled in price since 2 years. Prices are going crazy.
I forgot I did buy once a "CHINESE GIBSON" Beautiful on the outside, I received it but 250$ transport, but only 1$ for the FAKE. Fantastic shiny top, like the on the LP SUPREME. Playing, the guitar was at least 25% lighter than another, but she sounded not bad at all, the only problem was the noise, feedback from your amp. With a 10 metres of cable you could avoid it. I was thinking about putting EMG's, selling was not fair, I saw a lot of "US CITIZENS" placing their bogus gibson on eBay, even with comments like super Gibson, and the price was starting from 1$. I had the luck that the guy who buyed the Epi SG, NEEDED and WANTED REAL BAD that Gibson, he paid me 300€ = 410$, I even didn't ask him a price and he new it was a bogus, a CHINESE GIBSON LES PAUL, but she was so beautiful, and as told not bad at all. He is still really happy, and even more happy that nobody believes him.

Every guitar I own is Korean. Not by choice - but because even big names make or made them there. My 94 Epiphone Sheraton - made by Samick. Remember a Sheraton is not a copy. My 92 Fender Montara - Korean. Ibanez-Korean, My beautiful Indie Ricky 330 copy - Korean. All these guitars are spot on. I now feel Korean guitars are better quality than US made ones. And you ae just as likely to get a guitar with a big name from the same factory as the budget names. Would I buy one guitar or 2000Eur or four? Go figure!!!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

I do agree. I was involved in a discussion with PRS, a few days ago, I will try to copy and paste their answer. I wrote PRS concerning a special, and a probably "would be a future super investment, they made 3 different models, with different coils. I will write them like this s= single coil and h= humbucker. 3 different models: S-S-S (Lindy Fralin pick-ups in domino shape) a S-S-H and a H-S-H. PROBLEM: I purchased them on eBay, but the last 10 months, you will not see a US made EG. You will see a PRS EG SE S-S-S made in Korea, looks like a strat, and the S-S-S US made sounds BETTER than my original Fender US Stratocaster 1964.
The purpose was to go in competion with Fender. PROBLEM, they only started around 1985, and they produced 2 US models from 1990-1992, and one from 1990-1994. At this moment, they started to produce the PRS EG SE, in Korea. I have one: A PRS Billy Martin SE. SE stands for Student Edition. The sound is great, it is a "light guitar, and even worse: it sounds better than my Gibson SG Menace.
I asked them if their was a big difference between SE and USA, the answer I got:
The SE models are fantastic guitar, especially considering the price, but I feel the US made guitars are the finest electric guitars anywhere. Some of the pickups were the same, like the HFS, but others were different like the Fralin Domino pickups. If you mail them: you will get an answer very fast.
I am thinking, if I will have more money again, to buy a singlecut PRS, like the soapbar. I will ask PRS what the difference is between US soapbar and Korean soapbar. The SE production is in KOREA, but reading all critics and tests: PRS seems to be the only company, testing and studying the Korea made guitars. Even for an SE, they want the highest quality standards (at least this is what most of guitar magazines write. If you have time read some comments about the SE line.
They receive almost always the highest rating, and in fact you get MORE guitar than you paid for.
So, I am still doing research why these guitars are so "loved" and I try to figure out what the real difference is. One thing: low production cost, but that is not the only reason why you pay 500$ in stead of 5000$. Is IT THE WOOD, THE CONSTRUCTION? the hardware can be different, but that is also not the reason. You can always change the SE pick-ups by US pick-ups, but will it sound better.
CONCLUSION: The best guitar, in my opinion, is PRS SE: reasonable price and a great sound.
If I buy one, being a PRS FAN, it might be the single cut soapbar.

10 (edited by rockin gecko 2007-09-17 21:59:50)

My first guitar was a British strat from a not-very-well-known company called Chantry. It was 83 Quid(the british currency). When I moved I left my brit strat in the household goods and so I got an Epiphone DR acoustic, which was $130. I am a natural electric player and couldn't stand having an acoustic and nothing more. so i got an epiphone SG special, which I highly reccomend as a beginner guitar. Great shape, good quality and a name everyone rcognizes for only $150. After a long while, I saved up my pennies, sold my British strat, and bought myself an Epiphone Explorer. Most amazing guitar I've ever played. I reccommend one. If you have enough and will actually enjoy playing it, I would definitely get one. It is just as good as a Gibson, (Ive played both) and is half the price at $499. I bought mine at a local guitar center foronly$449.                                                       
lol  <my face when i opened the box.

Hello all you chordians.
I wanted to tell you something about the CHINESE people. My brother in law, owns a factory in CHINA, producing every plant, flower, Christmas trees, and a lot of other "trees". If you want a tree 2 metres high, with coconuts, they can make it. 
The CHINA adventure was risky business back then. Father was a florist, but he was far intelligent. Some years (20-30) ago, the fashion was "dried flowers", and it is all a question of jumping on the right train, on the right moment. I always tell people: that train is passing your house only twice. It is a risk, but my biggest skill, and "money maker" was working with a LASER, surgical interventions, like removing spots on the skin, even correcting wrinkles. My first laser, and they do this always, was so called limited: 1 for 10.000 people. It ended up with 10 lasers for 18000 people. BUT, as I told, I had the occasion to buy a brand new laser, also capable to perform surgery (not with the first), and here, the price was 70.000$: not so funny for the wife. I write this because THAT DECISION, was the best decision in my life. AND MORE, the other doctors, were afraid to spend so much for an unknown machine (in 1988) and didn't follow. I was the first doc in Belgium having this, thjey laughed (dermatologists, surgeons) but thanks to that machine...$$$$$ and happy patients. So the CHINESE workers are REALLY ALMOST THE BEST IN THE WORLD, happy to work, they live in a village constructed by my B i L, received bycycles, food, but they earn not much. They had choises: INDIA: no & kids working, INDONESIA?? trust me, Chinese work even better than people in Korea. So I am convinced that if you start a factory to produce guitars, you HAVE TO BE IN CHINA, and you point some real good luthiers as managers.
About guitars: my first electric was a beautiful black and golden hardware, GIBSON STUDIO LES PAUL, but I had to tune her after every song, or every day, so I had the opportunity in 1996 to sell her to a big MUSIC STORE, for 3x the price I paid 1 year before, and the guitar I bought was a PRS CUSTOM 24: since that moment I am a PRS addict. I also had the luck to buy a Fender Telecaster California Beach, only for the European market in a very limited quantity. The Tele is light green and is a reissue from 1952 Tele's. Far the best guitar, and I always admire the simplicity. To find a GIBSON LES PAUL: I have ordered already 2 guitars, half the retail price, and never problems.
I think that it is better to spend some more money to buy my "dream guitar": patience is the most important word, and $$.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

You mentioned the EPIPHONE SG CLASSIC.
I had the occasion to play an Epiphone SG classic (almost the cheapest) and to play an Epiphone SG
more specific an Epiphone G-400 Electric Guitar. The price of the SG special is 100$ cheaper, but my conclusion or opinion was: the EPIPHONE SPECIAL beats THE EPIPHONE SG G-400:. The Special had a far better tonality than the, what I call the Epiphone SG standard.
But having so many guitars, I have all different sounds.
The conclusion playing my guitars, especially in the acoustic segment is: there are songs "asking" to be played by a Martin dreadnought, and using a Martin for another song doesn't feel good, but using a Gibson SJ-200 that song sounds 100% different. The GIBSON SJ-200 Montana gold (special edition) is as far as I can see, the BEST ACOUSTIC I ever saw, and heard.

If you want to have a good el-guitar you'll probaly have to use more than $200 - $300, but if you're new you may start with a Fender Squier, it's a very good guitar to play and it's not to hard to play it. smile But if you really want a good guitar that'seasy to play
you could buy a Gibson-SG original.

I started with an Encore Strat with a single humbucker, you can get a similar guitar for about £80-£100 (think that's about $100-$150).

Don't know how many americans have heard of him, but when Robert Smith (guitarist for The Cure) went to record his first album sometime in the '80s, he brought a guitar with him that would cost the equivalent now of $100. And Jack White plays cheap guitars as well. So there must be some cheap guitars that are good quality.

Try something like Yamaha, Encore, Epiphone or Squier, they must be OK because they sell loads of them.

P.S. I've had that Encore Strat for 12 years, and apart from the chrome peeling off the tuners, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Sounds good, looks good, plays good.

If I wouldn't have my collection (fender US strat 1964, my martins) I think I should go for an EPIHONE SG SPECIAL, a cheap but amazing guitar. I compared it with the normal Epiphone SG 100$ more, and my choice was made, definitely the special.
What I also like is Takamine, compared to a few years ago, they became a lot more expensive.
The more they sell a brand the more expensive they become.
But GIBSON has some great affordable guitars, in particular the stripped of Gibsons, like SG Menace, Flying V (difficult to play for me).
You can find on zzounds a gibson sg special faded for 579$ for people in Europe 407€ and 248£ for our British friends. Here in Europe, you will pay at least 900€, there are always many different roads to buy it there and when it arrives, you will pay approximately taxes included, the same price you paid in $$$ after clearing by customs

Ibanez IJX121 Metal Guitar Jumpstart Package 299$

Is there a cheapo fender strat that is actually good? I have an electric, but i got it for 10$ and fixed it up myself, and it's constantly going out of tune. Any insight as to some cheap strats, or some better ways to keep my junk guitar tuned?

Well enjoipanda, welcome. It isn't easy, but I tried to make a list. It all depends.
1) How old are you, where are you from, and what kind of music do you play.
2) Do you want to play electric, acoustic or electro-acoustic?
3) What guitar do you have in mind.
4) What is your budget.
5) Since when do you play?
I always write that I am blessed, having a nice collection. If you are limited in your budget, but you really want to continue, you can:
-  wait and save your money
- buy a cheaper and decent model. I played some months ago on some epiphones, SG model.
and after trying some, the best guitar was the cheapest (asking the price after playing) was the epiphone SG special. But here some prices of EPIPHONE, FENDER (Squier included)
- Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar: 299$
- Dean: Playmate Avalanche 09H Amp and Electric Guitar Package  199$, this is a stratocaster copy, with a bag, cable, picks, and a 10W amp, you can hear the sound, without disturbing.
BEST SOLUTION: check the online music stores, I add another www.samash.com
If you find a guitar, low priced, check your guitar on youtube. It gives you an idea, when you hear the guitar you are interested in.
CONCLUSION: click on the links you see, take some time, and compare, followed by youtube where you often find a guitar, and listen to the sound