Topic: How to read notes

Does any one have an idea on how to learn to read notes by themselves? Thanks

Re: How to read notes

Hi slash1998 and welcome to chordie!

By 'read notes' I'm guessing you want to read music"
Here is a link that may be helpful:
http://www.cyberfret.com/reading/index.php

The ability to read music is a useful skill.  It takes some patience and determination, but the payoff is worth the effort. 

Hope this is helpful.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanks a lot this really helped!

Like James McCormick said, learning to read standard notation is a very handy skill. It not gives you an added edge in your playing, but also allows you to, at a basic level, read music for most other instruments (such as piano/keyboards), making it easier to compose entire songs, rather than just writing only the guitar part. It also makes transcribing songs to guitar a lot easier.

I had a Mel Bay book that teaches you to read music. not a bad place to start.

Just play

Starting simple is the key... Don't overwhelm yourself...

i think i went to school with mel

Oldnewbie wrote:

I had a Mel Bay book that teaches you to read music. not a bad place to start.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Oldnewbie, those Mel Bay books are very good resources.  They are simple to understand and focused on practical exercises and ideas.  There must be a Mel Bay book for just about any common instrument.  All their books are written by individuals who are serious about creating quality materials.

Books and internet can provide great materials - but I am also a big believer in the personal touch.  Finding an experienced and articulate teacher is still the best way to learn.

Ideally, a good music teacher can not only help you focus your efforts - but also provide challenges to inspire one's creativity.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James, I told you alreaddy that I am a VERY LAZY man (even before my crash). It has to go the easy way, I followed music class in 1973, and left after 1 month. I HATE TECHNICAL STUFF, reading how to use it, that's already a problem. I hope to change this. On the other hand, I learned some nice stuff on YOUTUBE, just search: guitar lessons.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Tried piano lessons? Best thing I ever did was start classical training.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.