Topic: Do you have a favorite chord?

In my mind (at least presently) the Cmaj7 x32000 delivers the most bang for the buck. Such a simple chord, yet it seems to say so much. If it is present in a song - nothing else can substitute it is absolutely unique and identifiable. I love the melancholy tone - I just don't think any other chord delivers so much and it has such a simple fingering to boot. (OK maybe I've had 1 too many to be in love with a chord).

Just wondering if other chordians have a favorite chord?

A most hated chord? Not just a barre because it's a barre, but in the sense that the tone doesn't deliver the effort of fingering if you know what I mean.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Do you have a favorite chord?

i like the augmented because they lead you somewhere and the sus because they demand resoulution

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I love Em because it reminds me of a trainyard, or a jailhouse, or some impending trouble... (something visceral like that).

I also like C7, because it makes me want to pay attention to what is coming next, it kind of pushes things forward.

I also like your assesment of Cmaj7, TD.

Just play

I like the bluesy tone of B7.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

I love any chord i learn to play with clarity,

But the Fmajor , Groan , groan , groan , and more groans.  But ya have to lol

sometime.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

my two favourite sounding chords are A7 and C7.

A7 because it sounds so much better than A, but A still has to be played in certain songs, but I always see if I can replace it
And C7 because it is good for going from C to C7 to another chord, sort of fills a space.
A bit like oldnewbie has described I think, it sort of pushes the song onto a new part.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

7 (edited by arkady 2008-02-18 18:05:07)

I guess at the moment my favourite (I seem to use it quite abit in my songs) is the Dsus2 with an added F# on the bass.
I found in my style of play it can replace a D or lead to a D in a nice progression but not always.
Ark

dom7 chords using a C shape.  I've also become fond of the G shape.  They're both portable all over the neck, and the associated scale patterns don't require you to come out of the shape much.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

no idea what the chord name is (I doubt it even is) E is the root note

|-0------|e
|-0------|b
|-0------|g
|-9------|d
|-7------|a
|-0------|e

I use it in writing a lot of my own music, as I am fond of the droning sound I get out of it, I like to use the open "b" as the droning string when playing my classical guitar...

Think it's an Em

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

chords are just collections of notes. the important thing is not what they sound like on their own but how one chord relates to another in a progression. the most easily recognisable movement in the major scale is from the root to the fifth but there are many other recogisable harmonies.

furthermore cmaj7 has exactly the same hamonic function in the key of C as Dmaj7 performs in D major so

of course I don't have a favorite chord but

D and Dsus2 are very nice  smile

Alvee Mó Cara,

An bhfuil Gaeilge agat?

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

C7 and Am...
  And the E7 played way down at the dot...

All You Need is Love smile

johncross21 wrote:

chords are just collections of notes. the important thing is not what they sound like on their own but how one chord relates to another in a progression. the most easily recognisable movement in the major scale is from the root to the fifth but there are many other recogisable harmonies.

furthermore cmaj7 has exactly the same hamonic function in the key of C as Dmaj7 performs in D major so

of course I don't have a favorite chord but

D and Dsus2 are very nice  smile

Now, johncross... see what you went and made Old Doll do?

I hope you didn't get any on you, dear...

yikes

Just play

15 (edited by arkady 2008-02-18 23:09:52)

I think it was Alvee that caused old dolls Gaelic outburst  smile
Ark

alvee33 wrote:

Think it's an Em

Or at least really close, cause I usually write the harmony parts around the Em chord......

Chord sounds, hmmmmmmmmm.

I like the sound of an open "C" played after a "G7" chord.

I like the sound of an open "D" played after a "A7" chord.

I like the combination sound of an open "C" to a "C7" followed by a full barre "F" chord.

Or a open "D" to a "D7" followed by an open "G" chord.

So I'm kinda partial to 7th chords.

Nela

Amaj7 d7 C9  mystical quality to these chords

rgross1
                             HINTAHAY

I'm a powerchord junkie so any of 5th string varieties I love!  On the open chord format I love the sustained chords (Asus, Dsus, etc)

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Well TD...my favorite is an simple C.
Its like the total ending chord of all.
One other favorite iss the Emsus7

Open G on my current "beater" acoustic. Like the sound of F#m on my player. The twelver's favourite chord is Am.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

Am.  I have no reason for liking it.  I just do.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

isnt it funny how different guitars haev a diffent take on diffent chords. a D on the 12 string is magic because of the  in your face octave resonance, but on my 6 the Em is my favourite cos its soft and bluesy. Good subject - never thought of having favourite chords before. probably a bit like favourite keys to sing in - do you match your guitar to your voice or yur voice to your favourite key to play?

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

There are TWO DIFFERENT results about my favourite chords.
- MINOR: used for a lot of melancholic songs, and my favourite chords are Am, Em
- BLUESY: E7  A7  D7, and my top chord G7

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

HI guys , ( and gals )
I agree with badeye , in that there's just something about that B7 .
  If I leave out the minors ,
( which are my true love ) , then I have to go with Cmaj ,
which to me has always constituted perfect harmony .
That and what you can do with walkups to it and walkdowns from it ( quite amazing )..............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "