Topic: BIG GUITAR BRAND'S SUBDIVISIONS

By subdivisions, I mean the little brothers made by great brands as a CHEAP LINE.

- MARTIN ===> SIGMA
- GIBSON ===> EPIPHONE
- FENDER ===> Squier
Do you know other "subdivisions?"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BIG GUITAR BRAND'S SUBDIVISIONS

I read somewhere that a lot of the "little brothers are made by the same factory" ie. Sigma, Epiphone, Squier all made in the same place but to the design and specs of the parent co. Martin, Gibson, Fender etc.

I have been researching guitar manufacturers a bit and it truly surprised me how many brands were actually subsidiaries or “sister"  brands of other companies. What you would think of, or are often advertised as a small shop are often part of a larger conglomerate. Not that it’s a bad thing, just surprising to me.  A brief summary of what I have discovered so far.

FMIC (Fender Musical Instruments Corporation) – Brands: Fender, Squier, Guild, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, SWR, Tacoma, Olympia and Orpheum.

Gibson Brands – Gibson, Epiphone, Kramer, Valley Arts, Tobias, Stein Berger, Garrison, Kalamazoo, Baldwin

US Music Corp Brands – Washburn, Randall, Eden, Parker, Soundtech, Mojo, Oscar Schmidt, Lyon, Vinci

Godin brands – Godin, Seagull,Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Lapatrie

The Music Link Brands - Johnson, Recording King, The Loar, Paris Swing Co. Dell’Arte, Palatino,Lucida, Antionio Hermosa, CODA, Guardian.

Kaman Music Corp Brands – Ovation, Adama, Takamine, Hamer, Toca, Gibraltar, Gretsch Drums, LP Music, Sabian, Dixon Hardware, Genz Benz

Hanser Music Group Brands – Aria, BC Rich, Breatheaudio, Davitt & Hanser, Floyd Rose, Kustom, Michael Kelly, Nuvo, OLP Guitars, Rockfield Pickups, Stage One, Tragen Bass co

SAGA Musical Instruments – Blueridge, Gitane, Valencia, Rover, Kentucky, Anton Brenton, Mahalo, Regal, Durango, Trinity College, GoldStar, Cremona, H. Siegler, Hamano, Fullerton (Music 123 house brand)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Takamine has one, starts with a J.....

All You Need is Love smile

So is an Epi Les Paul any worse sounding than a Gibson? Little brother and cheaper or not surely it still as to sound good

topdown wrote:

I have been researching guitar manufacturers a bit and it truly surprised me how many brands were actually subsidiaries or “sister"  brands of other companies. What you would think of, or are often advertised as a small shop are often part of a larger conglomerate. Not that it’s a bad thing, just surprising to me.  A brief summary of what I have discovered so far.

FMIC (Fender Musical Instruments Corporation) – Brands: Fender, Squier, Guild, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, SWR, Tacoma, Olympia and Orpheum.

Gibson Brands – Gibson, Epiphone, Kramer, Valley Arts, Tobias, Stein Berger, Garrison, Kalamazoo, Baldwin

US Music Corp Brands – Washburn, Randall, Eden, Parker, Soundtech, Mojo, Oscar Schmidt, Lyon, Vinci

Godin brands – Godin, Seagull,Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Lapatrie

The Music Link Brands - Johnson, Recording King, The Loar, Paris Swing Co. Dell’Arte, Palatino,Lucida, Antionio Hermosa, CODA, Guardian.

Kaman Music Corp Brands – Ovation, Adama, Takamine, Hamer, Toca, Gibraltar, Gretsch Drums, LP Music, Sabian, Dixon Hardware, Genz Benz

Hanser Music Group Brands – Aria, BC Rich, Breatheaudio, Davitt & Hanser, Floyd Rose, Kustom, Michael Kelly, Nuvo, OLP Guitars, Rockfield Pickups, Stage One, Tragen Bass co

SAGA Musical Instruments – Blueridge, Gitane, Valencia, Rover, Kentucky, Anton Brenton, Mahalo, Regal, Durango, Trinity College, GoldStar, Cremona, H. Siegler, Hamano, Fullerton (Music 123 house brand)

Hey topdown, I could be mistaken here but I believe FMIC has recently acquired the Kaman music group....The article I read last week said that fender now owned ovation and Takamine ,at least, so I assume they got the whole group as well but not 100% sure.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

^ thats interesting Pix, I hadn't heard that, thanks.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

last_rebel wrote:

Takamine has one, starts with a J.....

Jasmine by Takamine. Entry level guitars but they sound very close to the Takamines and it is the same construction. Still trying to figure out the differences.

American Fender Stratocaster Highway 1 SSS
Squirer Standard Stratocaster customized (Lace pickups, HSS, custom paint job)
Ovation C-065
Ibanez SGT-120