Topic: Starting bass guitar

Hello!
I am trying to find a nice cheap electric bass kit.
with the works.
I am just starting and I am pretty broke.
I have no ideas on what is a good guitar and what is a bad one.
Can you help me out
Thanks
-Tron Truncheon

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato

Re: Starting bass guitar

go to musicianfriend.com and check out some of their bass packages. Most any bass will be alright to start as long as it has a descent action. (Strings fairly close to the fretboard, so as to make it easier to chord). If you don't have a credit card, go to some of the local pawn shops and have someone go with you who plays a bass or guitar so that you will have some idea as to what not to buy.
Good Luck

Musiciansfriend has a line of simple basses called "Rogue". It's their inexpensive "store brand". I bought a four string fretless Rogue, put nice strings on it (black Tapewound GHS) -and I love that bass. The pickups could be better, but for $99 it can't be beat.

Since you're just starting out, don't bother with a 5-string, or 6-string -get one when you really know what you're doing. But eventually you will need some sort of a bass amp to hear your new instrument in full glory. I bought a Behringer Ultrabass BXL450 45W 1x10" Bass Combo for under $130. Now you're talking -at least for practice and jamming with friends it's a working setup.

Play on!

Thanks everyone for the help
I think i am going to like it here

Does any one have any tips on buying or even playing the bass!
-Tron Truncheon

-Plato

Been learning bass for the last 2 months now Tron. Recommended book CD packages are both by Ed Friedland, Bass Grooves (you're bound to find a favourite in there) and Blues Bass (you may not think you know the songs but they are real standards everyone's heard once).

Playing bass starts with playing root and pumpin out eigths. You'll also find r'n'b/soul/funk grooves very satisfying to learn. Then you need to start appreciating 'chord' shapes, passing notes and working out your own basslines. There's no one right way to play a song, but your job as bassist is to work out something that drives the beat forward.

The other big tip I've had of my bass tutor is the 'hamburger hold'. Imagine you are holding a large hamburger, the shape your hand makes holding it is how your hand should go over the bass neck. Your thumb lining up with the second finger not the first, indeed if you make your thumb point to 1 o'clock it's perfect. This feels odd but gives you the best stretch, you will be able to access 4 frets without moving up and down the neck, freeing you mind up to make grooves.

Let me know if you want more and I'll tab out the grooves that make 'Hang On Sloopy' and 'Louie Louie' bump along rather than just plod through the root notes.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Hello guys
I've found a 2 pretty nice looking Bass guitars, but what do i know about guitars.
Please tell me which bass is better for the price
and I already have a amp

Ibanez TR Series Bass Guitar - $125

"4 string Ibanez TR Series electric bass guitar. The body is solid ash with cherry red stain. Strings are fairly new. The padded black nylon gig-bag shown in the picture goes with it. I am the original owner, purchased at Bananas at Large in San Rafael about 14 years ago. It shows wear, but not abuse. Plays solid, has three pickups. Not shure too much about the pickups or anything else about this bass. Asking $125 for the bass & soft case. "

Or

Ibanez SoundGear Gio 4 String Bass Guitar Black - $100

* Agathis body
* One-piece maple neck
* Rosewood fretboard
* Pearl dot inlay
* Split-coil and single-coil pickup combination
* Active EQ with Phat II Bass Boost
* Chrome hardware
* Fully adjustable bridge
* Medium frets

Thank you for the help

-Tron Truncheon

-Plato

7 (edited by cytania 2008-02-13 12:40:37)

Hi Tron, two very different basses there. One remark on the TR seller's desciption makes me worry "Not shure too much about the pickups or anything else about this bass." I'd take that to mean that the electrics are shot. I would avoid unless he can guarrantee he's plugged it in and the pickup sound is good, volume and tone don't crackle etc.

With basses you have two types, active and passive. Originally all basses were passive just like regular guitars, but at some point in the 90s makers started adding circuits powered by a little 9v battery in the body. The SoundGear Gio4 has just such a thing called Phat EQ. I have the version of Phat EQ from 4 years ago on my Ibanez and I can tell you it makes a huge difference. With it turned off your bass handles like a typical passive bass, fine for unobtrusive backing. Turn up the Phat EQ and in comes a real punch. Great if you are playing at low-ish volumes but want an -in-yer-face sound or indeed if your bass amp is too mellow, just watch out for boomy room vibes.

If you have a regular guitar amp you can use the bass with it for practice just start with the volume turned way down and then gently crank up making sure you don't overload the speaker cone when you play loud.

PS. One downside of an active bass is when the battery goes flat (sounds weak or distorted), always unplug the cable from the bass to avoid running it down too quick.

Tron ... If you happen to have a Guitar Center or applicable music store close by you will always find Bass starter packages on the cheap side ... usually less than $200 ... and they come with a case, small amp, strap, etc ... for the beginner it's good but you'll eventually get good, want something better, and never touch it again ... just check online and you'll find what will work for the beginner

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Thanks for all the help
I just got my bass today, and i like it
Its a fender squire, with a pretty nice case.
I think ill learn on this and then get a better bass once i have invested some time in the instrument
Now what do I do?
-Tron

-Plato

Congrats Tron!
What you do now depends a little on what kind of music you like the best...
I'm sure the forum members will recommend all kinds of learning tools, my own is very simple.
You need to first learn how to tune that bass. If you don't know how, here is an online bass tuner: http://www.dontfret.com/basstuner.html

In my case it's been easy to learn by trying to play with my favorite tunes (The Blues usually has simple bass lines).  I consider that one easy way to start...more inspiration and advice will sure come from the members here!

Play on!

11 (edited by dino48 2008-02-14 05:37:08)

Glad too see you finally found a bass guitar,fender squires are a decent guitar.As for music you might try some beatles tunes,Abby road is loaded with bass. Which part of n.cali. are you at? I live in hollister ca.     dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

12 (edited by cytania 2008-02-14 12:03:47)

"Now what do I do?"

You start off playing the root note. This will allow you to plod through any song without embarrassment. Here's 'Louie Louie';

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.b … nt=3824510

It's A D E D A all through the song but what does the bass play? Most obvious is;

------------------
------------------
----5---7---5----
-5-------------5--

This is dull but it's what I play if I'm singing the verse.*

To get 'Louie Louie' to rock you need to add passing notes. So the bassline becomes;

-----------------------------
------------------------------
---(4)-5-------------(6)--7-----5--
-55---------------------------
baBum-ba-Bum       da-Dum-(ch)-Dum

Changing to this at the chorus really makes the song rock (at this point I stop singing, so I hope the rest of the band are up for 'Louie Louie, woaooao' not a hard lyric to remember). Remember the bassline is not set in stone, you can move around the A Dd D D# E shape how you like. You'll also note it falls over 4 frets, look to have your thumb and second finger on the 5th fret and use your pinky on the 7th (yep I know it's tough but that finger will get stronger).

Enjoy.

* There are other areas on the bass neck where A D and E are close together you could simply play the open strings but it sounds boring, if you haven't fretted a string you can't give it feeling. There's also a A D E two below and down but this gives a more treble feel. But once you've learnt the basic groove you could transfer to it for effect later in the song.

dino48 wrote:

Glad too see you finally found a bass guitar,fender squires are a decent guitar.As for music you might try some beatles tunes,Abby road is loaded with bass. Which part of n.cali. are you at? I live in hollister ca.     dino48

I am frm the Bay... San Francisco that is! in the bay I live on the east side, berkeley. Right by the Punk Mecca, The Gilman

-Plato

cytania wrote:

"Now what do I do?"

You start off playing the root note. This will allow you to plod through any song without embarrassment. Here's 'Louie Louie';

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.b … nt=3824510

It's A D E D A all through the song but what does the bass play? Most obvious is;

------------------
------------------
----5---7---5----
-5-------------5--

This is dull but it's what I play if I'm singing the verse.*

To get 'Louie Louie' to rock you need to add passing notes. So the bassline becomes;

-----------------------------
------------------------------
---(4)-5-------------(6)--7-----5--
-55---------------------------
baBum-ba-Bum       da-Dum-(ch)-Dum

Changing to this at the chorus really makes the song rock (at this point I stop singing, so I hope the rest of the band are up for 'Louie Louie, woaooao' not a hard lyric to remember). Remember the bassline is not set in stone, you can move around the A Dd D D# E shape how you like. You'll also note it falls over 4 frets, look to have your thumb and second finger on the 5th fret and use your pinky on the 7th (yep I know it's tough but that finger will get stronger).

Enjoy.

* There are other areas on the bass neck where A D and E are close together you could simply play the open strings but it sounds boring, if you haven't fretted a string you can't give it feeling. There's also a A D E two below and down but this gives a more treble feel. But once you've learnt the basic groove you could transfer to it for effect later in the song.

Cytania ... I think I just managed to read Chinese! lol ... I'm sticking with my guitar ... it's easier tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75