Topic: C Major Scale Confusion on my part

I am taking lessons. During the last lesson, the instructor showed the class (8 of us) what he said was the "Major C Scale".
Because I had to hand print what he said, I wanted a printout that was easier to read. I 'googled' Guitar:C Major Scale and rec'd a nubmer of responses. As I was looking at the responses, I noticed that each example of the C Major Scale was slightly different.

Could someone give me the real C Major Scale for the guitar?

Thanks,

Rdot01

Re: C Major Scale Confusion on my part

The third one you printed out.

The major scale in C is C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.  The major scale has intervals of whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step.  Or if you are in Europe, that's Two Semitones, Two Semitones, One Semitone, Two Semitones, Two Semitones, Two Semitones, One Semitone. 

The differences you may be seeing are playing the same notes in different positions on the fret-board.  If that's the case, then each is correct.  For example, the starting C can either be on the low E string at the eight fret or the A string at the third fret.  Same note, but they'll look different in a printout. 

Hope that helps, because that's as  much as I know.  Now I'll let step back and let Jerome and Russell correct what I've said.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-30 18:09:14)

ZURF YOU NEED NO CORRECTION c major scale is C D E F G A B C  WHOLE STEP, WHOLE STEP,WHOLE STEP,HALF STEP,WHOLE STEP,WHOLE STEP,WHOLE STEP,HALF STEP no sharps or flats

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-30 18:12:53)

ZURF you beat me to the punch on the whole and half steps but you added some very helpful info for your answer to rdot's question

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by dguyton 2008-01-30 18:23:05)

Which one is the 'real' one?

I currently know 5 diatonic scale patterns.  Using one of those 5 patterns, a C-major scale can be played anywhere up and down the neck; which pattern you use depends on where on the neck you want to play it.  I also can use 3 different patterns to play a C-major scale along the neck.  The multitude of ways that you can finger a sequence of notes on the fretboard seems to be what's causing you confusion.

So, pick a convenient spot on the neck where you happen to know that a C lives (low E string, 8th fret for instance), and then pick what finger you want to start with (let's say middle).  Put your middle finger on that C, and then play the natural notes that fall under your fingers: C (low E string, middle finger), D (same string, pinky), E (5th string, index finger), F (5th string, middle finger), G (5th string pinky), A (4th string, index), B (4th string ring finger), C (4th string, pinky), D (3rd string, index), E (3rd string, ring), F (3rd string pinky), G (2nd string, middle), A (2nd string pinky), B (1st string, index), and back to C again (1st string, middle).  Then start at the bottom, and play the sequence in reverse, just for practice. 

Congratulations, you've just played one of the many C major scales that exist on the neck!

If you draw a picture of the neck with all the frets and strings, and where all the natural notes are, you can figure out where you can do this sort of thing.  Customarily, the major scales begin and end with the root note; if you start playing the scale on some other note, you're getting into a different 'mode', and your teacher may scold you for it.

Good luck!

edit: Darnit, Zurf beat me, too!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

rdot01 wrote:

I am taking lessons. During the last lesson, the instructor showed the class (8 of us) what he said was the "Major C Scale".
Because I had to hand print what he said, I wanted a printout that was easier to read. I 'googled' Guitar:C Major Scale and rec'd a nubmer of responses. As I was looking at the responses, I noticed that each example of the C Major Scale was slightly different.

Could someone give me the real C Major Scale for the guitar?

Thanks,

Rdot01

Weird my guitar teacher showed us the Cmaj scale too lol........not the same class surely?