Topic: Guitar Travel

I'm going to Ireland in the summer and would like to bring my Taylor Acoustic along. I have the Taylor hardshell case which is pretty tough. My question is should I do anything to the guitar for the long trip in the cargo bay of the plane. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-10 04:19:56)

Re: Guitar Travel

as a precaution i would loosen the string tension all the way and add extra padding inside like a few t shirts if they fit in the case

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Also, find out ahead of time if tou can carry the guitar on as a "carry on". I do quite a bit of flying and have been able to do this. It helps if you are a frequent flyer and get early boarding privileges while there is plenty of overhead space, as well. In most hard shell guitar cases there is a small storage area where you can keep small "gear" items such as tuners, capo's , cleaners, polish, etc. - LEAVE THE POLISH AND CLEANER AT HOME. You may be asked what the capo is since it is a strange looking device. Have an anser ready. If you will not be needing something then leave it at home.

If you have to check the guitar case as luggage then expect to have some new "battle scars" on it when you get where it's going. Things are not handled very gently by the baggage handlers. If you place a "fragle" sticker on the case they will use it as a "bullseye" and hold target practice. You will not be allowed to lock the case, either, since it may have to be inspected as it goes thru the process of being loaded on the plane. If you have a "day / date camera I would take a photo of the case / guitar prior to boarding (along side of that day's newspaper) so the condition of the guitar can be determined at that point in time. (You said you were flying to Ireland but you did not say from where. The more stops and planes changes you have the more the case / guitar will be handled. Keep in mind that the cargo holding area is not heated in any way. Always loosen the strings several turns as the change in altidude will affect the guitar. Have a safe trip and NEVER / EVER carry more than 4 oz's of toothpaste with you while flying!

Nela

Good tips...I would also suggest putting a few stickers on the case or better yet paint something nice and bright to make your case easily identifiable...especially if it's checked instead of carry on.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Good tips mentioned folkes, I have a couple additions/sustitutions. Instead of using t-shirts to pack inside of your guitar case I like to use packing foam(some call it foam rubber) and tons of it. I knew some guys who worked at an airport which shall remain nameless and these little demonic dudes would seek the packages with the highest amount of  fragile stickers on it and give that package the extra-rough treatment. Kind of their way of taking out their frustrations for working so hard for such little pay.......... As Russell said, definately loosen your strings. The change in altitude can be tragic. And to add to jaygordons comment, I like to tie(very tightly) a colorful bandana to my guitar case.
      My friend just flew down from Virginia and instead of bringing his main $$$ gigging guitar he brought a lesser $$$ guitar, still  he packed the case real good w/ foam. He had no problems with checking his guitar at the airport and the lesser quality guitar worked fine for our 3 gigs we played together.

Give everything but up.

I just ordered a Washburn Rover for the same reason. Comes with a great case - sized to fit into overhead bin. Good reviews on Harmony Central. Seems like you can't go wrong for $150.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=511819

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … tring/10/1

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

7 (edited by flester 2008-01-30 16:36:33)

Buy a cheap one when you get here. Might cost less than repairs to your Taylor.

Will ya be buskin' anywhere? I might come and listen

As an owner of a Broken Martin DM (because I couldn't live without it for a week in Florida) don't do it, man. Some planes/airlines will say that you can carry it on, which is good, then you transfer to a little plane and they say no dice. I've even been told I could carry it on one plane of the same airline, then told no on the next plane, even thought it was the same freaking plane.
And of course, the neck got cracked.  The luthier glued it up, and it's still my favorite guitar to play, but that little buzz on 4th fret still makes me want to strangle a certain airline stewardess/baggage crew until they wet their pants.
flester has the best advice here. Buy a cheapo when you get there and give it to a friend or relative when you leave.  Then you'll always have one when you go.

I received a few guitars from the States. In 2004 they still allowed you, probably depending on who, to bring them on board, telling them at the desk that they where worth a fortune, and every guitar "landed" in the cockpit, even played by  pilot during the flight.
You have to loosen, like Russel told the strings. IF YOU DON'T DO IT = BROKEN NECK, MORE SPECIFIC THE HEADSTOCK.
About not locking, I don't know, because they scan it anyway if you use it as luggage. IMPORTANT: ask and tell your problem, as written above, take a picture if possible, but a lot depends how you explain your problem at the check-in.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]