Re: PROFANITY: DIFFERENCE USA versus EUROPE?

Fáilte Phillyp,

For all my chordie friends here! Phillyp is really saying !

" Bloody Dubs! We  as Dubliners really get on the nerves of anyone who does not live in the Capital of Dublin.  We as Dubliners think we own the F###ing Country. We as Dubliners have a Dublin  born and Bred "Taoisheach"

Leader Of our Goverment! ?. Bertie Ahearn is also an avid  Dublin Football Supporter".This is probably the real problem here lol

Every other county lovingly disregard us in every game of football ever played in this country. We as Dubs can take it all on the chin. The Gaa
{Gaelic Athletic Association } Absolutely love us as we are the biggest
money spinners to follow our teams { win Lose or Draw }

I as a Dub did not vote for Bertie and his crew to run our country. Im much to clever for the brown bag brigade.
So he who dipped his wick must pay for the oil. lol  Now! would this have been you Phillyp ?

Also did your Mam/ Teachers/  Nuns/ or Priest never tell you not to go
upsetting yourself on the Sabbath?

Lighten up Petal.

Slán Mó Cara.

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

My personal favorite was when i overheard 2 girls at the local disco, one exclaimed "He was hung like a donkeys bollox"!!!! I thought it funny!!!!!

Philliyp,

Delighted to make your aquaintence! Fáilte go Chordie.

Yes! I have heard this expression before. Now how the young maidens of Ireland know this in discos is beyond my comprehension!!! Even a thought
like that in my day would have been a real mortalar. {Sin}. But i knew nothing of asses at all at all in dose days lol

Enjoy your time here. { Ders a lorra decent ould skins here righ!

dyeknowwharrimean  Bud? lol

Old Doll. Taking the P### outra de Dubs.

Sure everyone knows i love the Emerald.

Ah Yes Arkadiebudlike!

But did you understand the Dublineese? Its more about the accent its spoken
with. Probably why all my life ive been told i dont sound like a Dubliner,

In Dublin that is. My Mam would have given me a very distainful look if she heard me speak like that.

But i so love it.

Old Doll.

Everyone I meet in Dublin says I sound like I'm from Texas.

Go half way around the world to get insulted.  big_smile

I have never seen a higher concentration of pretty girls than in that fair city, though.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerowme!

Deres no use in bein iggorant unless ya can sho- w- eh  like! lol

When your asked " Were a ya goin wit no bell onur bike an yr knickers wringin,

den ye need ta worrie?.

Molly Malowne!

The high school and college(New River, oft called Harvard on the hill) from which I graduated are both located in Dublin.   Virginia that is! (USA) Honest................
If you don't believe me, ask Zurf. He can confirm that there is a high school and and college in Dublin.(25 miles southwest of Blacksburgh) Right Zurf!?!?! Help out a fellow New River Valleyan here.................

Give everything but up.

Southpaw!

I have no doubt, as i know this. Sure the Dubs and Dublin get themselves in everywhere lol

I am having a great evening here, Ive discovered my Great Great grand Father had an eye for the ladies!!  Its looking like he had a young wife here in Ireland with no family, and another abroad with One Son?. " The STud Muffin".

He has criss crossed his way from Ireland to Scotland, on to Haywood in Manchester, then to Canada, and back here to Ireland..With a wee stop over in Liverpool England. Im looking forward to seeing what this fella died from?

Stds Comes to mind lol

God didnt porridge give these old timers great stamina? Little did he know cyber would eventually catch up with him.
He is one interesting   Subject with the wonderful name of John. I have 8 brothers, and one who died  many years ago  who was known as John.
Obviously called after this Charmer! lol

Old Doll.

isnt swearing good , who says its bad , why feel ashamed when you conciously use those words to describe how you feel inside, thats whats wrong with us humans we have developed a sense of morality which stops us being our innermost self, that cant be good , hence we swear which is like our inner selves sticking two fingers up at the morals which confine us!!

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

weedjie wrote:

isnt swearing good , who says its bad , why feel ashamed when you conciously use those words to describe how you feel inside, thats whats wrong with us humans we have developed a sense of morality which stops us being our innermost self, that cant be good , hence we swear which is like our inner selves sticking two fingers up at the morals which confine us!!

But when you swear as punctuation, it loses it's emphasis thereby becoming common usage.  God help us all if we weren't confined by morals.  Imagine what might happen if everyone was free to do what they felt like to anyone else?  How would you feel if you saw your ma/gran talking to someone in the street and as you approached you heard something like

"Hi Edna, how the ~#%* are you?  Haven't seen you in ~#%*ing ages!  You need to get your skinny wrinkled A## self to ~#%*ing Church more often, 8!tcH!"

Quite unpleasant I think.

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

weedjie wrote:

With tact and discretion and in the right place at the right time. I'm for free speech just as much as anyone in the universe but I'm not gonna go into a childrens daycare center and practice my free speech right. Nor am I going to abuse my free speech privilege and risk beeing denied entrance on my favorite site on the computer.

Give everything but up.

I think I should learn tact & discretion !  lol

bonedaddy wrote:

"Hi Edna, how the ~#%* are you?  Haven't seen you in ~#%*ing ages!  You need to get your skinny wrinkled A## self to ~#%*ing Church more often, 8!tcH!"

Sounds like dinner at my house.

lol lol lol

weedjiie
I agree with you to a certain extent. But I do not like hearing young kids swearing. They should learn other words to use then when older they can swear as much as they like.
I swaer a lot but not in front of my kids, I wouldnt want them thinking swearing is ok, so much they start swearing then they go to school and swear then just get into trouble for it.

And your question, who said?
Well, Queen Victoria I know banned the word C**t. she didnt like it so she decided it was an offensive word. It was widely used once in the UK but now it is probably the most taboo sweary word you can get. I dont know why. Maybe because of the letters? it makes it a sort of hard sounding word, and aggressive word.
the ye get B*****rd, in the dictionary, means something, but is classed as a swear word in the content it is used.
S*it I was told before was something to do with boats years ago for loading stuff in the part under the deck where they storedstuff that had to stay dry. But I cannot remember whatthat was and propbably a load of crap.
crap, that is classed by some as a swear word but no way is it, bollox also,

ye just have to accept that this is the way society is.
I dont like it, but I accept it.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i hear you ken and obviously common sense would prevail as to where and when these words are used, at the end of the day they are only common sounds that are known and used globally.
regards to bonedaddy`s comment -

How would you feel if you saw your ma/gran talking to someone in the street and as you approached you heard something like

if thats the way they choose to speak its up to them, who am i to chastise them for it, its only sounds. some sections of society use swearing in every sentence that they speak , but it doesnt mean they are any less of a person for it.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Hi, Weedjie

If you are ok with someone speaking to a loved one like that then that's fine.  If your loved one was offended by the language/manner in which it was used then it becomes a criminal offense in the UK. 

If more people were educated in the ways of respect for others then we wouldn't live in such an insular society. 

Take care

I would like some dissertation on the spelling of shit vs shite.

The only difference is the spelling.  Shit means to separate (as in shed ie from the body).  Shite just gives the word a different emphasis.  Hope this helps!

By the way, there is only one true swear word in the English language and that is "bloody".  It is a 'bastardisation' of "By the Lady" (Mary of course) who people used to swear by.  Everything else is just profanity or vulgarisms.

cool professor bonedaddy!