Topic: guitar shopping questions/seagull questions

New guitar player here.  Been learning for about two months on a borrowed guitar.  I am over the sore finger hump and the tips are calused over, so I have one of the big hurdles crossed, thankfully!  now, if I could only be able to switch chords quicker!

I did look back through the old posts, but didn't see these exact questions asked elsewhere.

Aside from spending huge dollars and having a custom, handmade guitar built for you specifically, getting a guitar is, to some degree, a roll of the dice, isn't it?  If you take 50 guitars of the exact same model, they each will still have their differences. 

Having said that, how "dangerous" is it for me to shop for a guitar online and not have the opportunity to play it first? 

First, I'd like your thoughts on shopping online.

Secondly, I am strongly considering a Seagull S6. I have read that they are good for beginners.  Any input on them?  How are they at holding their value?

Re: guitar shopping questions/seagull questions

Buying a guitar without trying it out first is like playing russian roulette.  You don't know when you pull the trigger if the gun is going to go off. If you can wait, go to different music shops and play different brands and models of guitars. From the cheapest to the high end guitars. This will give you a feel of what you like in a guitar, playability, sound and overall feel of the guitar. Alot of you choosing a guitar will come with more experience, as you stated that you are a new begining guitar player. Try to stay a way from the big chain walmart type music shops until your ready to buy a guitar. Go to the smaller shops and look for the older sales guy they have experience and will know more about the guitars their selling. If you like a certain brand you play in a small store and can get a good deal buy it or go to the big chain store and see if they carry the same brand and will make a deal with you.  Good luck.

good advice!!

also if buying a guitar online I personally would only buy a very expensive one. One that I knew was a good make with a good tone. But I would only buy online if I really really had to.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I agree with Ken.  I too, have bought guitars on-line (Ebay).  And, unless the guitar is brand new, you really don't know what you're getting.  Luckily, my experiences have been positive. 

The perception of more expensive guitars are better guitars is not always true!  You can find a pretty decent guitar between $500 to $700, with good action and tone.  If you are just starting and practicing, this price range should serve you well.  However, if you are an inspiring musician/artist, having a more expensive guitar would be a good investment for your future recording sessions!

Look at Willie Nelson.  He still plays with his old acoustic, with an extra hole in it.  And, it still sounds good!

There is a certain risk with buying over the internet, but the selection is much greater. Generally speaking, the higher $$ guitars SHOULD have tighter quality control, but it is usually best to get it in your hands before you buy it.

Seagull's are great guitars. I started (and still have) with a used S6 off eBay a year and a half ago. They have a wider fretboard than most (1.8") and a short-scale which keeps the string tension down a bit so it's easier on the fingers. The cedar top dings easily, but the sound is more mellow than spruce. I think it's the best guitar under $500 out there. Best thing, is you won't outgrow it quickly and be on the market again in 9 mo. Find one and play it. Nice balanced sound.

If you are more into bluegrass/country, two other cheaper brands to look for are Blueridge and Carolina (by Johnson).

Good luck.