Topic: how do you read these --?

I'm teaching myself how to play guitar and so far I can do most of the basic chords pretty well, and I've got basic a strum pattern. I wanna learn some songs, but I find that alot of songs are written in this format:
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=488100

and I don't know how to read them...anyone wanna help me out? smile What do the dashed lines mean? And how do you know what the strumming rhythm is? Thanks

Re: how do you read these --?

hi happyfeet and welcome to chordie.

This page you were looking at is "TAB"  the dashes are representing strings.

the page you were looking at is more of a lead guitar notes so it looks like it is not actually chords that are shown, however sometimes on tab format chords are shown by having the correct numbers on the correct strings.
The numbers on tab are the frets that are held down.

some people prefer tab as it gives you every note in a tune if written down properly rather than just having what chord it is in.

hope I have explained that ok for you

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

3 (edited by aj1 2008-01-19 11:46:07)

happyfeet wrote:

I'm teaching myself how to play guitar and so far I can do most of the basic chords pretty well, and I've got basic a strum pattern. I wanna learn some songs, but I find that alot of songs are written in this format:
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=488100

and I don't know how to read them...anyone wanna help me out? smile What do the dashed lines mean? And how do you know what the strumming rhythm is? Thanks

To get the strumming pattern just listen to the song and strum along with it. You probably won't hit it first time but don't just stop, try to get into the groove and feel the rhythm. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the song. Just about everyone plays the same song slightly differently each time.

Personally I don't like TAB for strumming, I can't see the point.
There are loads of songs on Chordie.com transcribed showing the chord name just above the lyric where the change occurs (Chordie even allows you to transpose to whatever key you want at the touch of a button)

Hope this helps a little

Jonas Brothers - Time for me to fly
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=407630

4 (edited by happyfeet 2008-01-19 19:31:24)

upyerkilt wrote:

hi happyfeet and welcome to chordie.

This page you were looking at is "TAB"  the dashes are representing strings.

the page you were looking at is more of a lead guitar notes so it looks like it is not actually chords that are shown, however sometimes on tab format chords are shown by having the correct numbers on the correct strings.
The numbers on tab are the frets that are held down.

some people prefer tab as it gives you every note in a tune if written down properly rather than just having what chord it is in.

hope I have explained that ok for you

Ken

Thanks upyerkilt! I kinda get it now, but what do the dashes IN BETWEEN the numbers mean? does it represent a break?

G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------55-5-5555-77-7-7777-33-3-3333----------------------------------|
E|33-3-33333---------------------------------------------------------------|

aj1 wrote:

To get the strumming pattern just listen to the song and strum along with it. You probably won't hit it first time but don't just stop, try to get into the groove and feel the rhythm. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the song. Just about everyone plays the same song slightly differently each time.

Thanks aj1! lol I didn't even think about listening to the song to learn the strumming pattern.

yeah I think the chord ones are a lot easier to read, but I'd still like to learn tabs smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNCwR1KQI0  Should help some...Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

6 (edited by happyfeet 2008-01-19 19:33:15)

Guitarpix wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNCwR1KQI0  Should help some...Peace!

lol thanks guitarpix! I realized I've already seen that video and know how to read it, except I was confused cuz this format looked a bit different -- I still don't get why some numbers are together "33333" and some are like "33-33-33"

me either happy,lol, maybe just the way people type it so ye can still see the "dash" to show the string is still there? lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I've always interpreted the dash as a slight pause in the beat....Can't say it's right though...lol but with the tabs on the internet mostly being done by do it yourselfers I don't think there really is a set guidline that's being followed. You just have to look at it and listen to the song and figure out what the tabbers intent was...Just random thoughts...lol Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]