Topic: PROFANITY: DIFFERENCE USA versus EUROPE?

- Watching a DVD, like movies about a prisoner, or gangs, 50% of the words they us are words like a***, m**f**.
This words are used maybe 10x more by Afro-Americans IN MOVIES. Like I take my n** a**to sit down in this m**f**chair.
- In our country, or in Europe, you can't compare this with the USA.
- Since we had discussions about this profanity, I loved to know how they deal with this movies, lyrics.
- Is this "cliché" about life in prison, hearing, while watching a movie about I will rape you m**f**, almost all said by Afro-Americans true? or really exaggerated?
- Is it also true that a minority represents a majority in prison? Here in Belgium, we have a lot of immigrants, coming from Morocco, this is also a minority of our population, but in prison the balance is different. Most of law offenders are these "Muslim People" who have problems because they are, what I call an in-between generation. Raised with their values and norms, and on the other side very influenced by big cars, money, our world let's say. They also don't have a real future, but also refuse to adapt, causing a big problem. If you have the opportunity to stay in another country, please adapt.
- Again: Is such a movie close to reality? What about such a movie in theatre? Censorship by replacing words like that by a beep? AND WHAT ABOUT LYRICS used IN RAP songs?
ANOTHER CULTURE CLASH?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PROFANITY: DIFFERENCE USA versus EUROPE?

It seems to be a question of life imitating art/art imitating life.  A symbiotic relationship where one feeds off the other.  For instance Pulp Fiction:  Who wouldn't want to be as cool as Vincent Vega or Jules?  This leads to imitation, which leads to imitation which leads to imitation....

I guess the profanity thing started off in the male dominated workplaces such as Docks, mines etc and was then transposed to public life as a form of disrespect for authority and escalated from there to being part of everyday culture.  When I'm on duty as a Police Constable profanity isn't tolerated when dealing with the public.

Cheers

I'm the son of rage and love

Daddy, I think we all use now and then profanity. When I used to work, and it became too much, I used also words as sh**, but those words are in my opinion not real profanity.
I just wanted to know, especially in the USA, if a movie, better a lot of movies, and certain if it are "prison-movies" that you find there people, representing a MINORITY, but due to circumstances, like being poor, bad education, blinded by "quick money" without doing a thing, made them a "MAJORITY" in prisons. The same with lyrics used by people in "rap" songs". What are the radiostations doing: a boycott, or a beep for every word. They are maybe better to sing: I want to beep ya, hey yo, beep beep yo, you are a beep, of a beep. This was my point.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

well,
I swear like a trooper lol
I see them only as words to express things or how strongly you feel about something or just use it because I sue it that much I cannot help it lol
But I do not swear in front of my kids for some reason, I do not know why even though I see nothing wrong wit hit. Maybe because the way I was brought up? Kids were hardly allowed to talk never mind swear. And it is not nice to hear young kids swearing, so if I swore in front of them how could I tell them not to?
I think a lot of it from the afro americans is exagerated. We see and hear them in films a lot but it is mostly showing gangs or rappers like you said. But if you watch a lot of films with mainly white people the swearing is rife, films like " trainspotting" stock lock and 2 smoking barrels" and many more.
Also the british punkn bands liked to use the odd word now and then and others would just swear constantly like the exploited, they are always Effing and C'ing on stage.
Maybe we hear more americans because of the volume of films that come from america?
so it is bound to make them look like they swear a lot more, but you walk down the streets in glasgow at 11:45pm on a friday,saturday,thrusday.....any night and you will hear just as bad as anywhere else.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

One of the best things I like about spending time in Dublin is all the new swear words I learn.

And I think one could write a Ph.D thesis on the many uses of "bollox,"  the greatest word in the English language.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I haven't been to prison, so I don't have any way of assessing whether the language represented in movies is accurate.  However, it is certainly true that blacks are disproportionally represented in prison populations when compared to non-prison populations.  The trick is explaining why.  I expect there are quite a lot of reasons all intertwined. 

The extent of cursing that you'll hear in the U.S. will vary dramatically based on where you are, time of day and season, who's around, and the mood of the speaker.  In general, I don't swear much.  But if I am agitated, then things will be different. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I try not to but I always end up swearing like a b*st**d!

It does depend on where I am though. Every Monday morning I say to myself that I'm not going to swear today. After being in my work for five minutes or so something always slips out.

Never in front of my mother or my daughter.

Come along with me to Love Street, Paisley (home of the famous Paisley Saint Mirren) of a Saturday afternoon and I'll give you lessons on swearing.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

lol
Al, ye could go to any football park in the UK, even the junior leagues.

and Jerome, I totally agree with you on the word bollox but that is really not a sweary word. I have said that all my life, my whole family said it while I was growing up even my teachers in school said it.
I think it is one of these great words you use to replace a true swear word.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I guess cussing is kinda like playing with yourself. Most people do it, just don't won't other people to know how much or how often you do it.

Nela

Seems like in some movies they go out of their way to swear.  Saw some movie not long ago...think it was some Matt Damon movie, and characters would swear, and it wouldn't even make sense.  Granted, the f-bomb is the most versitile word in the english language, but it was really goofy.
And as Zurf alluded to, just under 12% of our population is africian american, and they represent 49% of our prison population.  Don't get me started on the disparity of justice in this (maybe every) country.
OK, I have to go find somewhere  else to post...need one more for 200

We won't solve the roots of bad language, or the problems of racial inequality, poverty and crime here in this discussion forum, but I welcome the fact that we can freely talk about these issues, even on a music forum.

I have lived in Europe and the US equally long (27 years each to be precise), and when I first arrived here in the US, I was also appalled by the constant use of "Motherf..",, the "F" word, etc. Violence and violent language come from desperate people who have little self-respect, or are living under violent and stressful circumstances. Yes, it's true that a majority of criminals come from the poorest levels of society (anywhere in the world), where violence, crime and hate seem to be means of survival.

Folks, that's not limited to the US anymore, although the use of foul language in movies and music may have originated here. I watch plenty of new German, Italian and French movies with expletives all over the place. Let's not blame the sad inmates who have to live in prisons, let's not blame the kid who dropped out of school and never heard anything else besides F#$%^ and Sh*&% at home. But let's blame the greedy bastards who pepper their movies and music with foul language just to sell more records and DVDs.

I'm in the same school with George Carlin on this one. Why is "s***" a bad word and "poop" considered acceptable, or cute even? - they both mean the exact same thing. They are both just words. Letters formed in a particular sequence . It is only society's perception that defines one as bad and one as acceptable. There is no logic behind it. The only thing that makes them bad is that we were taught that they were bad as children and that they are not allowed on TV. I wonder if all these words were all of a sudden allowed in the media, how long it would take for them not to be considered "bad". Would society then form new words that were "bad"? Probably.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I'm also giving an honorable mention to "wanker."  It is also extraordinarily useful.

Tennessee Strat.
I am glad to read yor answer. Is it misplaced on this site? We had some months now, topics or post answers, sometimes ago. Today, now and then there are still profanity words. take my case: I am paid very well, but IT DESTROYED my  social life. Sitting alone here it's impossible to swear, but when I fall on the floor due to my paralysis in my left leg (my leg isn't  turning) I can swear enough for two years.
Isn't there a Big difference between the words you use? Like sh** or damned and more.. and the other real nasty words like piece of s*** (this is already PERSONAL. If they use words like that, IT IS A PERSONAL ATTACK. Also the movement you ( a lot of us has done this) show when a car is really giving trouble, the famous and world wide knowed sign = THE MIDDLE FINGER. I know from my brother who lives and works in DUBAI, if the police notice that finger ===> jail. He did this and was followed by a  Arab until he parked his car. He told them that this was done everyday by everyone in Belgium, an apologie was enough and the Arab disappeared.
- what about rappers like 50 cent Eminem, it almost looks like poetry.
- and yes: what in Prison?
If you wrote a song with "dirty" words, are this words replaced by beeps? I love to write a song= the beep song

gitaardocphil wrote:

I love to write a song= the beep song

i'd like 2 hear th@ song!

I'm the son of rage and love

I have "The Bollox Song" mid course right now.  It's intent is to be sung as a duet by an Irishman or Englishman, and an American.

Fáilte Jerome!

Emm! What about a good strong womans verse. Irish Woman love to use this word when riled!

Bean an Tíg!

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

18 (edited by Old Doll 2008-01-20 07:40:43)

My Mam Always said,

"Any one who had to resort to using bad language had a very low command

of the english Language" Well with the way bad language is used here every day now in  everyday conversation, she must be spinning in her grave.

Bean An Tíg.  { Woman of the house }

God Jerome what kind of company are you keeping here in Dublin! lol

Are Irish-men versus Scots-men not greater profanity heroes?
THis topic is so weird,I wrote this after seeing a list good word/versus bad word.
First of all, again movie an Afro -american sais you will be my b** nigga, about that last phenomenon: they even use it for us. Take your m**f**g a**es , i don' give a sh**.
- 1)This is still the question. Here I started to see that the "ATTITUDE" is different from state to state.
-2) AS newborn babies, our parents are oh so happy when their little baby is farting and pooping. After surgical intervention: same question did you.. or not...
About strange facts: yesterday, I read in a magazine that if someone is caught when "masturbating" or did I had to write mas**b**g, can be punished by death-penalty.
Strange world (instead of strang brew).

Old Doll wrote:

Fáilte Jerome!

Emm! What about a good strong womans verse. Irish Woman love to use this word when riled!

Bean an Tíg!

In  all honesty, my sweet, I had you in mind when I sat down to write it.  I'd hoped to have it done by the time I get over there next (next week, BTW) but it doesn't look like the muse is going to be on time.

Dang muse.

Old Doll wrote:

My Mam Always said,

God Jerome what kind of company are you keeping here in Dublin! lol

Irish women taught me all the bad words I know!

It's scandalous!

22 (edited by arkady 2008-01-20 10:30:25)

Would this "The Bollox Song" be the Dog's Bollox or just plain Bollox. lol
The Mother tongue is so explanatory.
Ark

Dublinified English. Wha!

Arkadiebudlike, As Jerowimm De Man sais,

He had  me in miund for dis song wit dat word bollix in.  Da ya nowarra i mean Righ.?
Dose dat think its the same as Bollix in Engleland are wrong Righ!.  Here Bollix dozen always mean dat ting  the pudendum? { God dats a maffice word dat is} me Ma id be reel proud a me an dat wan. { shed also box de head a me far bein cheeky like}

Handy Bollix tips in Dubalin Arkadiebudlike Righ!.

Ya berrer  Know who yr sain dis te in Dubalin. Righ, Or getyrself a good
pair a runnin shoewes.. Cos ya cud get yr self killt. D'ye know wharrImean Righ?.
Ya cud be takin tablahs fer de res of yr daise, Righ!  lol

Janey mack i jus luv my people from Dubalin an de whiffy liffey, der wily
charames ar de bollix.
Were in de worrold cud somewan say" {I see yr Ma but up er prices agin}
an get a rowend of applawse Like.  lol

But yeser are all welcome like, ask Jerowimm! lol sure e onie luvs us er!

Ould Doll.
De Dubalin Wan! lol

In Dubalins fair city were the girls are so pretty, ahem! gettin carried away  here Righ!

Bloody jackeens! Youd think dey own the feckn country never mind tryn 2 run it!!

Ah I now see....................
How such a jolly old Bollixy song would work looking back on dem oldie dollie posts.

"I only ever heard your expression from English People, friends or holiday makers!
We do use that word here in different ways! A term of endearment?
"Ah your an awful B####x" can mean i like you! or i think your funny!
That yoke is B####x? means its broke or not working!
Your only a B####x? Means "your not a very nice person!
I will-n-me B####x? means "Im not doing that!
Ask me B####x, "speaks for its self!"

I retract my old Bollixy post I am all Humbley. lol
Arkadiebudlike (sounds good might change my id)