Topic: strumming, ... : /

im having alot of trouble trying to figure out the best ways to strum, could anyone give me any pointers?
it would be greatly appreciated..

: )

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-17 01:11:56)

Re: strumming, ... : /

robhenb i think you will get a lot of opinions on how to strum.if you are strumming a slow song in 4/4 time,down strum i strum for every beat in the measure count 1..2..3...4 and strum once on each count or you could strum down and up and count it as 1&2&3&4&... in 3/4 time (waltz time) you count 1..2..3.. to start with and get a feel for the 3/4 (waltz)time keep it simple and slow to start good luck.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

thank you smile

Here's a link to a strumming lesson that I used.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/?p=10

I struggled with strumming when I first started too - trying to find the exact strumming pattern for the song I was playing. Then after a while, I just listened to the song, got a "feel" for the music and strum it in a pattern that sounds good and works for me. It's still much more of a feel thing for me than a technical count 1 and up / down, etc. It just "clicked" one day- keep at it and feel the rhythm, you'll get there.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

yeah, thats what im like too ya know,
like i play piano, and its different than strumming a guitar for sure, haah, but like i need to 'feel' it in order to do it right.
thats why usually i dont ever play something i dont know..

and thank you very much smile

everyone is so helpful on here !

topdown it could be that the reason it "clicked" and you got a "feel" for the music was that you understood what you were doing 

topdown wrote:

Here's a link to a strumming lesson that I used.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/?p=10

I struggled with strumming when I first started too - trying to find the exact strumming pattern for the song I was playing. Then after a while, I just listened to the song, got a "feel" for the music and strum it in a pattern that sounds good and works for me. It's still much more of a feel thing for me than a technical count 1 and up / down, etc. It just "clicked" one day- keep at it and feel the rhythm, you'll get there.

Russell_Harding wrote:

topdown it could be that the reason it "clicked" and you got a "feel" for the music was that you understood what you were doing

I agree Russell and I could be leading someone in the totally wrong direction (but I hope not). What I was was trying to say is that for me at least, it's not so important to match the original strum pattern exactly, but more to strum what sounds and feels right to you. That said, there are certainly songs that the exact original strum pattern is critical in making it sound right (Jack Johnson comes to mind). But oftentimes, especially on older classics that are covered by many, the strum pattern is not so important as just getting a feel for the song. So don't get hung up on an exact pattern, experiment until you find something that sounds good and 'er rip.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown when i answered robhenb post i had no way of knowing what musical knowledge if any robhenb had.,i assumed she or he was a newbie so my comments were on a very basic level and 1 2 3 4 is as basic as abc when anyone asks for strumming help its only natural to keep a response limited.