Topic: WOOD and TREES

WHAT is considered as the best wood for THE BODY of an electric guitar, I suppose that the resonance factor is important.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WOOD and TREES

im not sure the wood has that much to do with electric as the sound is not dependant on the wood for resonating like in a accustic i think the quality of the pickups and circutry are the factor and the neck,frets.tunning keys and bridge not much left

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm not convinced choice of wood is hugely important with electrics. My reckoning is that  tone chambers*, glued or bolted necks, string thru body vs string to bridge, Bigsby's etc have far more impact. Afterall the bit of wood we all love is glued to the top, the gorgeous book matched maple, mmm...

* Quite an important one this as we progress from semi-solid to centre-blocked semis to full archtops.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Here is a quick opinion on tonewoods: Mahogany works well for a warm sound. Maple, Ash and Alder give more "snappy" tone... and then continues the long list of factors that can make a guitar sound good or bad. My favorite ingredient for good tone: precise fit, nice pickups and overall quality workmanship. That's the reason why handmade custom instruments usually sound great.

Russell, 4 against 1. But if you play electric and very loud, some extra effects, you won't hear the difference. I saw 2-3 timers a guy playing on a Squier, followed by a Mexican strat, and a US Strat
It was not easy to hear a difference.
For acoustic guitars, it is very important, but more wood = more $$, and going for real good wood = $$$$$$.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Russell, 4 against 1. But if you play electric and very loud, some extra effects, you won't hear the difference. I saw 2-3 timers a guy playing on a Squier, followed by a Mexican strat, and a US Strat
It was not easy to hear a difference.
For acoustic guitars, it is very important, but more wood = more $$, and going for real good wood = $$$$$$.

Phil,

As mentioned by Tenn.Strat the major tonal structuring will come from you wood choices and will factor on the sound shaping of your guitar. Also mentioned is the quality of the craftmanship of the guitar maker. Of course your electronics will contribute largely as will the quality of the electronics you purchase. With that said play each of the Fenders, squire,MIM & MIA strats unplugged and thats where you'll hear the tonal difference and sustain.

Bootlegger.