Topic: first guitar.......

Am looking at buying a new guitarm the one i am trying to learn on is a 3/4 sized classical, but i have been told that i'd be better off with a steel strung as they are easier to make the chords?????   i have been offered a  fender fishman electro acoustic, dreadnought size........mean nowt to me??    what do you think??

this is a link to where it came from.....

http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd … =231194999

please help!!!!!

Clare

Life isnt about FINDING yourself.....Its all about CREATING yourself!!!!

2 (edited by cytania 2008-01-14 15:08:06)

Re: first guitar.......

All depends on what sort of music you want to play Clare. Classical guitars have nylon (often called 'gut') strings which sound very mellow, perfect for finger picked notes, not loud but expressive. You can strum a classical but you won't get the bright, sparkling sound of a steel strung acoustic. The strings are easier to press down on a classical and don't need changing as often.

The guitar you are being offered is bigger. Dreadnought is larger than full size, perfect for being heard at a folk pub. It also has a hidden acoustic pickup that allows you to plug one of those little brown acoustic amps in. With this it should sound even sweeter, you can also add effects like 'chorus' to really get a big sound.

Here are some reviews of the basic model although I suspect they are for one without the additional electronics. Sounds like a decent starter instrument.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … CD-60/10/1

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thankyou

I have noticed that when strumming my first nylon string (G i think) sounds a bit dull, as oyu say not very sharp, even thought they are new strings!!

Thanks again i think that for £60 id be silly to not take it

cheers

Clare

Great guitar for someone starting out: Taylor Big Baby. I bought one for my daughter this Christmas and I do pick it up to play when she's not home... This relatively small guitar has a crystal clear sound + enough low-end for a well-rounded tone. Playability is super easy. Taylors are usually expensive, but this one retails here for $400 (bag included).

Steel strings on a concert guitar will eventually ruin the neck, because these guitars don't have a metal truss-rod in the neck. The tension of the steel strings is just too much for a Spanish/Concert guitar.

If someone is giving you a guitar, take it.  You can still buy another if it doesn't work out. 

Second the Taylor Big Baby as a learning guitar.  It's not a 3/4, but I think they call it a 15/16 - just a skooch smaller than usual.  The sound is terrific and they are sure enough easy to play as guitars go. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

thanks everyone..... got the fender fishman and i gotta say much easier to play than the classical i have, sounds better , but thanks for the advice

clare