Topic: About SIGMA SEAGUL and other guitars

These guitars, weren't they made by MARTIN?
You can compare it probably with a Squier and a Fender.
Am I right writing that they are no longer produced?

They sound nice, and going to the top of sigma, I think that for the same amount, you are able to buy a better.
Sigma DR-41:  Dreadnought Body, Solid Spruce Top,  Laminated Rosewood Back and Sides.
Retail Price: $675
For that money, and an almost complete laminated guitar, except for the top, I would go for another. MY BIG QUESTION IS: is my conclusion wrong or not?
Seagull S6 Entourage Acoustic Guitar Features: PRICE 299,99$
    * Top: Solid cedar
    * Back: Wild Cherry laminate
    * Sides: Wild Cherry laminate
This guitar is pretty similar to a sigma, they use WILD CHERRY laminated, where sigma uses laminated Rosewood.
If you pay $799.99, you are the owner of a MARTIN D-15, no laminated wood is used. I have the dark brown mahagony version.
>What is your opinion about these guitars.
Like seagul: I never played or tried one.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Al Bradley 2008-01-02 20:17:57)

Re: About SIGMA SEAGUL and other guitars

I have a Seagull and I love it. They are handmade in Canada in the village of LaPattie Quebec. They are part of the Goden guitar family. The factory is subsidized by the Canadian government so you get a quality guitar for a low price. I have the S6+CW acoustic/electric. I think you should  sit down and play one of the Seagull models for five or ten minutes they have amazing tone and they play effortlessly.

Al, thanks for your answer. You just confirmed what I was thinking, that GOD(in) runs the whole thing. Is Simon & Patrick also a GODIN product.
Yes it is, I just found it.
How many brands does he have?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I bought a Tanglewood Seagull guitar 2 weeks ago.  I am only a beginner and learning to play.  Are these good guitars.  I took a guitar player with me to buy it and he said it had the best sound of the ones he tried in the shop.

I don't think you have a bad guitar, all you need is a guitar, easy to play, and a great sound.
The price range is from 150$ up to 1000$

cstrain wrote:

I bought a Tanglewood Seagull guitar 2 weeks ago.  I am only a beginner and learning to play.  Are these good guitars.  I took a guitar player with me to buy it and he said it had the best sound of the ones he tried in the shop.

You did fine.  Good luck in learning to play.  Check back in often and let us know how it's going.  Lots of beginners on here (including me) to commiserate with you and offer advice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

gitaardocphil wrote:

Al, thanks for your answer. You just confirmed what I was thinking, that GOD(in) runs the whole thing. Is Simon & Patrick also a GODIN product.
Yes it is, I just found it.
How many brands does he have?

Hey Doc,   Godin has several susideraries. They own Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Norman guitars and Art and Lutherie guitars. Simon and patrick was a company that he started in honor of his 2 sons (hince the name Simon & Patrick). He also has a signature line that carries his name (Peppino signature series). I am a huge fan of this line of guitars! I have owned several and still currently have 2 '95 Simon and Patrick Pro's (Rosewood and Curly Maple) These are outstanding values. All solid wood construction, great craftsmanship, but most of all an excellent woody tone. Also Have a '07 Seagull Artist studio Rosewood. Also a very Fine instruement...IMO

Anouther Great value from Canada is Garrison guitars. The company is not related but they offer solid wood guitars with a very unique bracing system at an excellent price! The bracing system they use is very interesting concept! Check it out...http://www.garrisonguitars.com/  Gibson purchased the company this year. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a Seagull S-6 Cedar Top and I love it. It has a really great sound and I was able to get it new $299.00 + tax

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I have owned a Sigma D-41 for the past three years. It was $400 with a killer TKM case. The sound was decent, but not spectacular. That's why I replaced the nut with a home-made bone nut (worked like a charm), put Elixir strings on it, and replaced the bridge pins with brass ones: Voila! The guitar sounds awesome, although it can't touch a Martin or even a Taylor. Now I know that I should have saved my money up for a Larrivee, Seagull or Taylor. The Sigma is a nice guitar for the money, but it is amost "overdone" with inlays, etc. Today, I would prefer a simpler but better-sounding acoustic. Yes, I bought my daughter a Taylor Big Baby for about the same price and that little beast sounds more precious than the huge Sigma.