Topic: Tips for a begginer?

Hey everybody! I'm new to this whole electric guitar scene and I need some ideas about how to become a good (if not great) player. I just got my guitar on Christmas, and I have a list of the major chords, I'm still getting the minors and power chords, but I need to memorize where they are and be able to change back and forth between them. Any tips on how you guys did this? Also, should I work on playing songs (from tabs) or work on playing the chords for them cause I am planning on starting a band with some of my friends and I need to know this sorta thing... if you can answer these questions to help me out, thanks!

It is only in true horror that you can find your noblest self.
Nothing is worth winning if you don't lose something doing it.
Recent studies have shown that 64% if all math students are bad at math. If you think that you are one of the other 46%, then take the time to read what you're reading more closely.

2 (edited by 25Frankster 2007-12-27 22:29:54)

Re: Tips for a begginer?

Welcome aboard Epi!  I got an Epi for Christmas myself, but have been playing acoustic for 5 yrs and I'm finding out the electric is a different beast entirely.  For instance a lot of open chords just don't sound right on my electric.  That being said, when I have the gain / crunch turned up, I'm playing just about 100% barre chords or power chords.  That being said, advice from a fellow rookie would be to spend your time learning power chords, or "Fifth chords" as they are also known.  They are a lot easier than learning a bunch of open chords so consider this good news.  Also, I understand tabbing something if we're talking about a lead riff.  But when we're talking about 5 power chords, why bother?  I see all these songs tabbed out---6 printed pages, and when you look at it, it's a handfull of power chords.  I just don't get the whole tab thing when we're talking rhythm guitar.

Oh, and advice?  Practice, practice, practice.  You will be frustrated, your fingers will hurt, you will be ready to sell the thing on e-bay, but like someone said the other day, every great guitarist started out with those same feelings & just had the determination to work through them.
ALWAYS have fun...oh, and practice.
And then practice some more.
And don't forget to practice.
Did I mention you should practice?

Oh, and I forgot something--there is an old saying, "How do you eat an elephant", and the answer is "One bite at a time".  Learning the guitar is sort of like that--it's a huge undertaking, wanting to learn and perform, but you have to aproach it one bite at a time.  For instance, I'm going home tonight, and I am going to work (like, playing guitar is actually "work") for 2 hours switching between 6 power chords.  Actually, three chords but I want to hit both of them at two different positions on the neck.  Set small daily goals...small bites...and go for it!

3 (edited by Tibernius 2007-12-27 22:26:27)

epiphone987 wrote:

Hey everybody! I'm new to this whole electric guitar scene and I need some ideas about how to become a good (if not great) player. I just got my guitar on Christmas, and I have a list of the major chords, I'm still getting the minors and power chords, but I need to memorize where they are and be able to change back and forth between them. Any tips on how you guys did this? Also, should I work on playing songs (from tabs) or work on playing the chords for them cause I am planning on starting a band with some of my friends and I need to know this sorta thing... if you can answer these questions to help me out, thanks!

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a try.

Power chords: learn the two finger versions first, then the three finger. (two finger is 57xxxx, three finger 577xxx, for example)

Major chords: try the twelve-bar blues progression. There'll be a copy of it here somewhere. It's basically three chords for the entire song. Sounds like the early Elvis songs.

As for whether to learn tabs or chords...that depends on which kind of music you want to play. If it's Punk-Rock or similar you should be able to get away with knowing only power chords, for a while. Once you can play almost all of the American Idiot album, you get bored of power chords.

Good luck.

(there's always someone who can type faster than me roll)

Practice.

Then some more practice.

And then to finish up:  Practice.

And probably practice some more.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by markdrago 2007-12-28 08:38:58)

Ok, i think that this is one i can actually answer and hopefully help. For me the best thing was to learn the majors and a few minors, A and E mostly, and you can play some great stuff. Also practice barre chords and power chords, they help alot and are pretty easy to learn because its a lot of fun to play those. I can give you links to some really helpful videos also if you want to learn some songs, just tell me or post back here if you want to know. And try not to listen to the whole practice all day, You dont have to be so dedicated that you spend all day, or force yourself to do it. Have fun, dont force your self to play when its not fun. Look on youtube for videos, they help a hell of a lot.

Its your life, live it

Chords fit together into sequences, so although in theory you might change from one chord to any other at random, in real songs they tend to cluster together. Learn E A D, then G F C, then G C D, then G Em C D. Once you've learnt the majors look to the minors Em Am Dm etc. Then sevenths B7 is one of the few easy open B chords, G7 is a common way of heightening a G chord for dramatic effect. You can neglect full F and full B until later when you're fingers are hardening up. loosening up and getting stronger.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Could somebody email me a chart or something of the major, minor, barre, and power chords???? It would really be helpful because at my church, I am in two bands, and I wanna be able to play my guitar for both of them, instead of just playing the bass. If somebody could do that, it'd be great. If you can only email me a couple charts, that'd be fine, or if you could send me a  link as of where I should get these, that'd be fine too. I'm really glad that I decided to join such a nice community. Thanks for all your help you guys!

It is only in true horror that you can find your noblest self.
Nothing is worth winning if you don't lose something doing it.
Recent studies have shown that 64% if all math students are bad at math. If you think that you are one of the other 46%, then take the time to read what you're reading more closely.

epiphone,

have you seen the chord chart here on chordie?

http://www.chordie.com/chords.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

epiphone987 wrote:

Could somebody email me a chart or something of the major, minor, barre, and power chords???? It would really be helpful because at my church, I am in two bands, and I wanna be able to play my guitar for both of them, instead of just playing the bass. If somebody could do that, it'd be great. If you can only email me a couple charts, that'd be fine, or if you could send me a  link as of where I should get these, that'd be fine too. I'm really glad that I decided to join such a nice community. Thanks for all your help you guys!

If you want another set of chord charts, try the book "Guitar for Dummies". It has a list of 96 chords, along with how to play them.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Practice.

Then some more practice.

That helps how? Practice is the obvious answer but it's worth nothing if you don't say what to practice.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Practice.

Then some more practice.

That helps how? Practice is the obvious answer but it's worth nothing if you don't say what to practice.

Because most people don't practice.  That's how.

"Is there an easy way to play just like Edie Van Halen?"

The answer is no, there isn't.  All there is is practice.   There is nothing else, especially in the beginning.   If you aren't willing to dedicate yourself to that, then you may as well take up air guitar.

The first thing a beginner should do is learn theory, scales, chords, notes, etc. Understanding is more important than the physical part of it, practice without theory results in playing with your fingers and not your head, i.e just putting your fingers where the diagrams tell you to and not knowing what you're playing or how you're doing it.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

To disagree with SGinCYQX one of the joys of guitar is you can get a long way without theory. Many of the great American blues, folk and country players learnt it all from observation and experimentation. However there is a time for theory since the rest of us don't want to spend years hopping trains or selling our souls at crossroads!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

You can get a long way without theory, true, but you're not really understanding the instrument, if that makes sense. Because of theory I can transfer anything I learn on the guitar to any of my other instruments. Before I paid attention to theory, I was playing basically by muscle memory.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

The first thing a beginner should do is learn theory, scales, chords, notes, etc. Understanding is more important than the physical part of it, practice without theory results in playing with your fingers and not your head, i.e just putting your fingers where the diagrams tell you to and not knowing what you're playing or how you're doing it.

Once you've been around here a little longer, you'll understand why what you're telling me is nothing short of laughable.

Advice to you.  As a new guy, you should rearrange your cotton for the first little while.   That is, take it out of your ears, and stick it in your mouth.

16 (edited by SGinCYQX 2007-12-31 00:59:46)

jerome.oneil wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

Once you've been around here a little longer, you'll understand why what you're telling me is nothing short of laughable.

Advice to you.  As a new guy, you should rearrange your cotton for the first little while.   That is, take it out of your ears, and stick it in your mouth.

Go ahead, enlighten me. Why is it laughable? You've never shown me any sign that said I could learn a thing from you, except how to dodge a fact.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

Go ahead, enlighten me. Why is it laughable? You've never shown me any sign that said I could learn a thing from you, except how to dodge a fact.

Which fact might that be, sweetie?

Go ahead and read a bit.  Then get back to me. 

But really, your cotton is really discombobulated.  You aught to fix it.

jerome.oneil wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Which fact might that be, sweetie?

Go ahead and read a bit.  Then get back to me. 

But really, your cotton is really discombobulated.  You aught to fix it.

I state that theory is essential to understand what you're doing, and you insult me with absolutely no reference to the topic. If you want to actually justify what you're saying, i.e tell me why what I'm saying is laughable, I'll be glad to listen. Until then, I'll continue to disagree.

It's also great that you think you can directly base my musical knowledge on the number of posts I have in a forum, especially one like this, where maybe ten people actually make sense on a regular basis.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

I state that theory is essential to understand what you're doing, and you insult me with absolutely no reference to the topic. If you want to actually justify what you're saying, i.e tell me why what I'm saying is laughable, I'll be glad to listen. Until then, I'll continue to disagree.

It's also great that you think you can directly base my musical knowledge on the number of posts I have in a forum, especially one like this, where maybe ten people actually make sense on a regular basis.

Well, your first entry into this thread was

"That helps how? Practice is the obvious answer but it's worth nothing if you don't say what to practice."

Which was directed not at the OP, but me.  So you're not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy about that "insult me" whine.    There's a really simple rule about not starting fires if you can't take the heat.  And clearly, you can't.

I haven't said a thing about your musical knowledge.   If you had a clue, you'd know why.    You're completely ignorant in a whole lot of other ways, mostly having to do with me, and this board.  And if you'd shut your pie hole and read a bit, you could cure that.  But I'm gonna guess you won't.

But please do show me that "fact."

I'll wait patently for you to point it out.

You still haven't explained why it was laughable.

-Jimi Hendrix.

Welcome Epi and congrats on your new guitar. Lots of info and opinions on this forum and you'll find a lot of valuable stuff. Let me try a little different direction while agreeing with some of the previous posts. First have your new guitar checked out by someone a bit more experienced or preferably a luthier. Make sure your guitar is set up properly so that it in itself doesn't handicap your abilities. Learn a few scales and chord sequences and practice-practice-practice-and more practice. If you start with a simple chord progression and just play it over and over you'll soon start modifying and developing your own sounds and styles...same thing with scales. Stuff will just start popping out as you learn the fret board and get your fingers used to moving around creating sounds. If you consider that the vast body of work done by Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash and the blues players are typically just 3, maybe 4 chords. Let someone like Jimmy Hendrix play a Bob Dylan song and it will blow you away with all the complex things he does with those 3 or 4 simple chords.

Learning to read music and understanding Theory will help you learn and give you direction and discipline, but it's not for everyone. Some very fine musicians are musically illiterate!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

SGinCYQX wrote:

You still haven't explained why it was laughable.

That's because you haven't looked.

I'm still waiting patently for that fact.

The fact is that theory is essential to understanding music.

Where, exactly, should I look?

Obviously we have quite different views on learning and playing music. That's why music sites like this are cool. What I consider the first thing a beginner should learn can be done for the most part without actually having a guitar in hand, for the most part. I learned this way too late and it was difficult to pick up because it forced me to think differently about the guitar. Unfortunately, it's also not much fun for a beginner. Probably the best bet is to find an even balance, one where you're understanding what you do but it's exciting at the same time.

-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

The fact is that theory is essential to understanding music.

Where, exactly, should I look?

And where might you have seen me "avoid" that fact? 

Here's a start.  I generally abstain from doing for people what they are capable of doing themselves, but as I see you are exceptionally lazy, I'll give you a hint.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5175
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5157
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4728
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4338
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3963

If you're willing to put in just a teeny tiny bit of effort, you'll learn why I think your assertions are laughable.

None of that shows why learning theory as a beginner is laughable.

-Jimi Hendrix.