Topic: String rattle

OK, I'm new to this whole electric guitar thing--got one for Christmas...love it and all that stuff.
When I'm being nice to the strings, no problem.  When I'm diggin in and smackin' them around, they seem to rattle off of the fretboard a bit--when the amp is up, no big deal, it drowns out the "noise", but if I have it at lower levels you can hear it.

Is this normal, or does it sound like I need some set up work.  I'm not getting any string buzz...but maybe it is the action.  It has a floating bridge, so it looks like I can just turn the little wheels to affect the action...bad idea?

What do you think?

Re: String rattle

25Frankster wrote:

OK, I'm new to this whole electric guitar thing--got one for Christmas...love it and all that stuff.
When I'm being nice to the strings, no problem.  When I'm diggin in and smackin' them around, they seem to rattle off of the fretboard a bit--when the amp is up, no big deal, it drowns out the "noise", but if I have it at lower levels you can hear it.

Is this normal, or does it sound like I need some set up work.  I'm not getting any string buzz...but maybe it is the action.  It has a floating bridge, so it looks like I can just turn the little wheels to affect the action...bad idea?

What do you think?

Have a look at the strings. If the rattling is cuased by the strings hitting the fretwire, you're having the same problem I had.

If it's rattling in Drop D or when tuned down, then you're best off putting some thicker strings on it. I would recommend a set of Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" strings, but I'm sure some of the other companies make similar sets.

Not sure what you should do if it's rattling in standard tuning, but I think some setup work may be necessary.

25Frankster wrote:

What do you think?

Yeah, bad idea unless you really know what you're doing. Take it to nearest music store and have it set up by a pro. You'll be much happier in the long run and it shouldn't cost more than $35-$50. Maybe even less......

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Raising the action will certainly solve the problem but by giving you alot more to press down on. Real question is was it set too low to start with? (alot of new guitars have no proper setup) Or has the neck twisted, a fret risen etc? This is what your music store will do, good ones may do alot of it as part of restringing and then advise you to pay for a full setup when they find out what needs doing. Well worth it as a novice could sacrifice days tightening/loosening truss rods to little effect.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanx a ton, all.  We have a very good luthier that works out of Sam Ash music about a half-mile from my office.  I have my Simon & Patrick over there right now getting the action lowered a bit, and a strap knob put on--think I'll just take over my new baby when I pick up my old.

And cythania, I played a Seagull C6 at a shop last week--LOVED IT!  The tone reminded me of my S&P, but a little fuller, I think....very even & rich sounding guitar.

25Frankster wrote:

What do you think?

Southpaw41L is correct get you axe set up. They will chjeck the straightness of your neck and ajust it and also adjust your bridge saddles for intonation and lower your bridge if needed. Have them change your strings to your brand of preference and set it up for the gauge of your choice. Also have them oil the fret board if you have a rosewood or ebony fret board.

Bootlegger.