Topic: PLAYING ELECTRIC NOT USING EFFECTS

Just a simple question.
Everytime, I start playing electric, I can't help it, I start using effects, like distortion, phaser, maybe 5 minutes later, even if my electric is plugged into an acoustic amp.
I play more acoustic, but about using effects on an electric: AM I THE ONLY ONE or are fellow chordians use effects too? IT IS A MUST FOR ME and I don't know why.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PLAYING ELECTRIC NOT USING EFFECTS

I know what you mean... A couple years back, I got a digitechRP100 and I couldn't help but play with all the effects and different sounds every time I plugged in my electric guitar. I found that if I had the effects plugged in, it was always a bit of a distraction because rather than learning new scales and techniques, I'd just mess around with the effects. Lately, I've been trying not to use too many effects so that I can focus more on playing. At the moment, all I really use is a wah, distortion, and my amp. I'd just advise that you pack up most of your effects and play a simpler set-up. It might seem a little weird at first, but you'll get used to it quickly and your playing will improve quickly.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

3 (edited by Kahuna 2007-12-10 18:25:01)

I too, had recently purchased a multi-effect pedal (never had one), and found myself spending more time trying to learn how to use the darn thing more than playing.  With that said, however, I also discovered new sounds that my Strat can make too!  Yes, it's great playing without the effects, but I found that "with" effects, I tend to play longer!  I also bought a Boss drum machine to help with my timing.  So, I'm now yearning to play (and play longer) every day! 

At the same time, I tend to go back to basic and plug in my stomp box for a quick jam now and then.  It's much easier to just pick up and play.  Instead of having to mess with all the effects.  More choices to make I guess.

shredfiend wrote:

I know what you mean... A couple years back, I got a digitechRP100 and I couldn't help but play with all the effects and different sounds every time I plugged in my electric guitar. I found that if I had the effects plugged in, it was always a bit of a distraction because rather than learning new scales and techniques, I'd just mess around with the effects. Lately, I've been trying not to use too many effects so that I can focus more on playing. At the moment, all I really use is a wah, distortion, and my amp. I'd just advise that you pack up most of your effects and play a simpler set-up. It might seem a little weird at first, but you'll get used to it quickly and your playing will improve quickly.

Same here with the G2.1U. A brilliant Multi-Effects unit but I've found if I try to get the sound right for whichever song I'm playing I end up not playing it!

I just use it for Amp modelling, Distortion and occasionally Wah.

A few months ago Phil I was getting obsessed with a clean playing sound, the sort of thing you hear on Buddy Holly solos and early sixties (pre-Beatle) hits. Only problem was small amps couldn't deliver it. Took a big combo that would take up a big chunk of money and house space :-(

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

6 (edited by Detman101 2007-12-11 15:39:50)

I play every week in church without effects. Mostly because I have issues with my equpiment. I have a ZOOM-8080 BASS pedal but I play electric and the effects sound weird on it.

I have a PANDORAS BOX as well but I can't split the output to go to the mixing board and to my amp used as a monitor.

So....I have no choice but to plug directly into the amp and MIC the amp into the mixing board so that everyone can hear my crappy little 10W ibanez amp.

Also, I don't have enough time between Sunday School and church service to get my gear setup for all the different sounds that are available when using the effects pedal.  10-15 minutes just isn't enough time to get your sound right...

sad
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I gave all my effects away bar a tubescreamer and bought a marshall hi gain , now what could be better than that .

You can`t wind me up , I`m electric.

Detman101 wrote:

I play every week in church without effects. Mostly because I have issues with my equpiment. I have a ZOOM-8080 BASS pedal but I play electric and the effects sound weird on it.

I have a PANDORAS BOX as well but I can't split the output to go to the mixing board and to my amp used as a monitor.

So....I have no choice but to plug directly into the amp and MIC the amp into the mixing board so that everyone can hear my crappy little 10W ibanez amp.

Also, I don't have enough time between Sunday School and church service to get my gear setup for all the different sounds that are available when using the effects pedal.  10-15 minutes just isn't enough time to get your sound right...

sad
Dm

Go and get yourself a Zoom G2.1U and a cable splitter. Then you can play through the Mixing Board and the amp at the same time. cool

Purlnekless wrote:

I gave all my effects away bar a tubescreamer and bought a marshall hi gain , now what could be better than that .

This dude knows how it is done! Rock music is about just cranking up the volume and tearing it up.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

Tibernius wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

sad
Dm

Go and get yourself a Zoom G2.1U and a cable splitter. Then you can play through the Mixing Board and the amp at the same time. cool

I've got a pandoras box (KORG PX4D). Can I use a cable splitter with that and route it to the amp and the mixing board?

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

I've got a pandoras box (KORG PX4D). Can I use a cable splitter with that and route it to the amp and the mixing board?

Dm

I know that the G2.1U has stereo output, so it can be linked to two amps at once. If the PX4D has stereo output as well you should be able to.

Right into the amp, 99% of the time.

But that amp's usually up loud enough to break up nicely since its a nice, small 5watt tube amp.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Yeah I have a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 and and Boss Fuzz Pedal that I occasionally use, and my amp has effects such as distortion, chorus, reverb, flanger, tremolo, etc.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix