Topic: iPhone/iPod touch interface

Well, if chordie have nailed it well enough to make ipod note files of our songbooks, then surely a nice, easily-navigatable iPhone /iPod touch portal to our songbooks would be nice and easy too?

Re: iPhone/iPod touch interface

... it is there. Try going to Chordie with your Touch/iPhone...

Would it be possible to access it from something else than an iphone/itouch? I don't have any of those, but I use pda and nokia linux tablets which usually work very well with website enhanced for iphone.

What's the direct url?

The direct url is the same for any device or browser.

For example: I have a bookmark in my iPhone with the url http://www.chordie.com/songbook.php.  This is the same url if I type it into my browser on my PC but with very different results.

I did a view source on the resulting page but there wasn't any specific code there, so I imagine all the device specific code is being handled on the server side.  Perhaps there is a tag your device sends that maybe the page authors could add to the list of mobile devices....

I have an Ipod Touch and just like the blurb on the front page says what a great device for learning to play guitar.  Between the WiFi access, direct link to youtube and the ability to listen to MP3'S of songs I'm trying to learn and storing some other random lesson videos i cant say enough good things about it.  I've been waiting for a guitar site to optimize itself for surfing on the iphone/touch and here it is...

Thank you!

arman68 wrote:

Would it be possible to access it from something else than an iphone/itouch? I don't have any of those, but I use pda and nokia linux tablets which usually work very well with website enhanced for iphone.

What's the direct url?

Chordie is a fairly complex website - regarding html/css use. I have not optimised it for the nokia linux tablet. Tell me more about the browser (and if possible point me to a development kit) - I might be able to fix this.

Currently Chordie is primarily optimised for the W3C standards of xhtml/css. It is also tweaked a bit to work with fairly new versions of the following browsers:
Firefox
IE 5 and IE 6
Opera
Safari for Mac and Windows

Of portable devices it is optimised for
iPod Touch/iPhone

Some support (though a bit outdated) for
WebTV

danagle wrote:

The direct url is the same for any device or browser.

For example: I have a bookmark in my iPhone with the url http://www.chordie.com/songbook.php.  This is the same url if I type it into my browser on my PC but with very different results.

I did a view source on the resulting page but there wasn't any specific code there, so I imagine all the device specific code is being handled on the server side.  Perhaps there is a tag your device sends that maybe the page authors could add to the list of mobile devices....

This page is dependent upon whether or not you are logged in.

The device detecting should only affect the stylesheets. Ie the html/content is exactly the same for a PC and an iPhone. However different css-files are loaded, and the formatting is totally different.

admin wrote:
arman68 wrote:

What's the direct url?

Chordie is a fairly complex website - regarding html/css use. I have not optimised it for the nokia linux tablet. Tell me more about the browser (and if possible point me to a development kit) - I might be able to fix this.

Thanks for the offer. I am not sure what info you need. Web browser is based on firefox, and user-agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U; Linux armv6l; en-GB; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20071128 Firefox/3.0a1
Tablet browser 0.2.2 RX-34 + RX 44_2008SE_2.2007.50-2

Screen resolution is 800x480 pixels (including scrollbars), so ideally a display without adverts or clutter would be best; I am sure most people who use Chordie on portable devices, also use it a lot more on their desktop (like me), therefore I think it would be best to confine the ads to the standard website version. Pixel density is very high, which makes normal fonts appear very small and difficult to read; a larger default font would be best (min size 20?).

I have a Creative Zen Vision rather than an i-anything. Can I use it with Chordie?

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

arman68 wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I am not sure what info you need. Web browser is based on firefox, and user-agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U; Linux armv6l; en-GB; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20071128 Firefox/3.0a1
Tablet browser 0.2.2 RX-34 + RX 44_2008SE_2.2007.50-2

Screen resolution is 800x480 pixels (including scrollbars), so ideally a display without adverts or clutter would be best; I am sure most people who use Chordie on portable devices, also use it a lot more on their desktop (like me), therefore I think it would be best to confine the ads to the standard website version. Pixel density is very high, which makes normal fonts appear very small and difficult to read; a larger default font would be best (min size 20?).

Could you send me a picture of what you are seeing when browsing Chordie? Please send it to admin@chordie.com

Hi great site!
Can any of the songs be saved and viewed on an iPod classic?
And if so how would you go about that?

Thanks!---Flex

is it possible to add your songbook to an ipod touch

IS anyone at chordie...going to make an Iphone App??
I know the pages are optimised for the iphone...but there are so many cool things that could be done....currently the app store has a Guitar Tool Kit... Chordie should launch off this and add all the cool stuff...like I love the fact I can convert any song to mandolin...even taht for a chord book would be good.  I don't know really...But I think there must be a heap of oppertunity ...especially if people have the songs on their iphoen and want to play along or or somthing...

They have an app for the iPhone now, it's called songbook, and it is supposed to act like the songbook on Chordie.com, however, I can't seem to figure out just how to get the songs to be formatted correctly. I've used the little trick they give you (replace http:// with chordpro:// in the URL) and it gets the song into the songbook app, but the formatting is crap and it s very hard to read. Does anyone know how to get a quality tab/chord sheet with this program? 

Also, as a suggestion, if the songbook app is actually related to chordie.com the developers should find a way for us to upload our songbooks at chordie.com to the songbook app on the iPhone.

Hey,
I've made another app for the iPhone called MySongbook, it's not related to the other app named Songbook, and not related to chordie... just me.
I'm hoping I'm not breaking any forum rules by recommending my own product... I'm in weird place where I know that I have a good app, and I'm sure many would like to know about it, and then again, people hate advertising... sad

...anyway, my app has a built-in browser, so that you can just go to a page with chords and just click on save chords, and I made sure that it work with chordie. There are more features that you can see on my website, and plenty of ideas for the next release (including support for chordie's songbook), but I'll let you see for yourself if it worth your money...

Please don't hate me for posting this... smile  ... and If you've got any questions please tell me and I'll answer as quickly as i can.

***I have removed the link for your product as you are selling it and advertisers have to pay for advertising space on Chordie. Please write to Per (the site owner) at admin@chordie.com if you wish to promote your product - Roger Guppy (Moderator)***

There is an official iPod/iPhone application coming. However it is currently a legal nightmare. Things are a lot more complicated if songs are to be stored locally on the device. I have spent hundreds of hours on this the last year, and hopefully it will be sorted out in a week or two. Unfortunately that is all I can tell you for now...

Hi - I was wondering how progress is going with the official iPod/iPhone app. I notice the last post commenting on this was back in Feb and at that point it sounded like it was getting close.

Is there any way of adding to my chordie songbook while using an iPhone? I can fi d songs easy and view my songbook but can't find a way of adding songs.

Knacked wrote:

Is there any way of adding to my chordie songbook while using an iPhone? I can find songs easy and view my songbook but can't find a way of adding songs.

I have the same question. The chordie iPhone site is great but I can't add songs to my songbook.

I hope I am not out in left field here, but I talked to Andreas Linke at http://linkesoft.com/  and he said he just made an interface for songbook for Ipod/IPAD and he is getting ready to get it working on Droid soon.  I have been using his Songbook for Windows and Windows Mobile for years.  It is the neatest program for storing your music files in chordpro format.  I am in no way affiliated with him.  I asked to to contact Chordie and see about advertising his program here.  I really feel it would benefit both him and Chordie.  He said he would check into it.  If I am out of bounds here, let me know.  In my opinion, his program would compliment Chordie well.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.