Topic: WOOD USED FOR A GUITAR NECK

Is the type of wood, used for a "guitar neck" very important? If yes what is the reason, or how does it affect your playing.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WOOD USED FOR A GUITAR NECK

As far as I know, it's usually the same as the body and then either maple, rosewood or ebony for the fretboard. Fretboard wood matters much more than neck wood, as does radius etc. My guitar has a mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

aj1 wrote:

Thanks for that, very interesting.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

aj1 wrote:

That is a ggod wood discription that Brian has on the UJ website. He has a luither's website also.

Bootlegger.

gitaardocphil wrote:

Is the type of wood, used for a "guitar neck" very important? If yes what is the reason, or how does it affect your playing.

Phil my friend,
As with body woods the neck and finger board woods also help shape the overall tone of the guitar. Also the fingerboard wood helps the ovall astics of the guitar. There are some beautiful and functional finger board woods do a search on ziricote finger boards and you will see some beautiful finger boards.

Bootlegger.

I've been first of all on that site, you will find a GIANT source. Boot: isn't it so that you will hear more difference depending if they used glue, or not? Vibrations will probably be noticed. Body wood, is more important.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

mabey its just me but i favor the blond fretboards on the tele or strat they seem a little faster and easier to clean

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I like a maple neck for tone and sound but for comfort and playability I prefer a Rosewood neck. I'd like to see a guitar neck that combined maple and rosewood, a rose-ple, or map-wood neck with elongated strands of each wood seperated into 1/4 ths. Molded together, shaped, sanded, with some expertise precision completion. Now wouldn't this be cool? What are your thoughts on this concept Bootlegger?

Give everything but up.

If you read about guitars, and specific on the PRS site, you can choose between a PRS custom 22 and a PRS custom 24, so 1 guitar has 22 frets, the other 24 frets.
SOME QUESTIONS:
- Are there guitars having MORE than 24 frets, like 26
- What is the difference between 22 frets and 24 frets, besides the fact that you can reach higher if you have 24 frets?

gitaardocphil wrote:

I've been first of all on that site, you will find a GIANT source. Boot: isn't it so that you will hear more difference depending if they used glue, or not? Vibrations will probably be noticed. Body wood, is more important.

Phil my friend,

Both body and neck wood are important in shaping tone, the body will have more significant effect because of the mass of the body size in relation to the sise of the neck.  Glue must be used to connect the finger board to the neck wood otherwise it would just fall off. You may be thinking of a set neck versus a bolt on neck on that thought.

Bootlegger.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I like a maple neck for tone and sound but for comfort and playability I prefer a Rosewood neck. I'd like to see a guitar neck that combined maple and rosewood, a rose-ple, or map-wood neck with elongated strands of each wood seperated into 1/4 ths. Molded together, shaped, sanded, with some expertise precision completion. Now wouldn't this be cool? What are your thoughts on this concept Bootlegger?

Southpaw41L,

The type of neck you are describing is common among luthiers, they will match maple & walnut strips together (usually five, maple, walnut, maple walnut& maple) to get the thickness and depth (usually 3/4"strips x 3"). This allows a stronger neck (less warpege) and a nice astetic look with the striped wood variation.

Bootlegger.

gitaardocphil wrote:

If you read about guitars, and specific on the PRS site, you can choose between a PRS custom 22 and a PRS custom 24, so 1 guitar has 22 frets, the other 24 frets.
SOME QUESTIONS:
- Are there guitars having MORE than 24 frets, like 26
- What is the difference between 22 frets and 24 frets, besides the fact that you can reach higher if you have 24 frets?

Phil,

Typical for a guitar is usually 21 or 22 frets, with 24 out there also as you mentioned. The 24 fret allows a few more notes in octave (basically the same as your low end 12 frets but an octave higher).

Bootlegger.