Topic: Metronome

What is 4/4 time on the metronome? Is it set on 60 or what setting for the different times.

Re: Metronome

Hello JBridges - a metronome can help you keep a steady pace (tempo) to your timing.  A setting of 60 would be sixty beats per minute. 

4/4 time refers to time signature for a piece . . . 4 beats per measure, and a quarter note is one beat (it is sometimes refered to as march tempo).  2/4 time (quick march) means 2 beats per measure, and a quarter note is one beat.  3/4 time (waltz tempo) means 3 beats per measure and a quarter note is one beat.  6/8 time (another type of waltz tempo) means 6 beats per measure and an eighth note is one beat.  There are other time sigs, but these are the most common.

Most rock&roll and blues and folk music is in 4/4 time.  The metronome can help you keep a steady pulse, but it won't differentiate between 4/4 or 3/4 other time sigs.  You playing and singing will help set the time signature or the 'feel' of the pulse of the tempo with the emphasized beats.

Try this - set your metronome at 80 or so.  Now, along with ticking count out 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and put the emphasis on the 1s (this is 4/4 time at 80 beats per minute).  Keep doing this for  while until the 'feel' gets ingrained in your gut. 

Now, leave the tempo at 80 but count out 1,2,3,1,2,3 and put the emphasis on the 1s (this is 3/4 waltz time at 80 beats per minute).  Keep doing this for a while until the 'feel' gets in your gut.

You will notice a definate difference between the rhythmic 'feel' of 4/4 and 3/4 times even though they are at the same tempo.  Use your metronome to help maintain a steady tempo - use your playing and singing to emphasize the appropriate beats to convey the rhythmic pulse of the music.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Metronome

James,                                        Thanks for the information and I will put this to use today and let you know how it worked for me.Thanks again.