Topic: How can I name this kind of chords

Chords like

1        When you capo a fret (for example the first) What's the open string's chord name then ?

Re: How can I name this kind of chords

Two ways:

Either plug the guitar into a chromatic tuner and see what it says it is.

Use the name of the Root, which in this case would be the note played on the 6th string.

If either of these are wrong feel free to correct me.

Think of your capo as a permanent barre.  With the capo on the first fret and you playing an E shaped chord, you're actually playing an F. Play a G shaped chord with capo on first fret, you're playing a G#. Many times when  a score is written for a song there will be 2 chords shown. The actual pitch chord and the shape, or form chord. So, for example, you might see something like this;

James Taylor    "Fire and Rain"
capo 3rd fret

F(D)
Just yesterday morning.............

so the F is the actual pitch, or correct key the song is in and (D) is the shape for the chord to be played.

Hope this was helpful.

Give everything but up.

The best chord you can call all the open strings (no capo) would be Em(sus4) so with the capo on fret 1 it would be Fm(sus4)

www.nofretguitarlessons.com.au

For a guitar in standard tuning, a straight bar is generally a m11.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by ozguitarplayer 2007-12-05 01:52:20)

If it were a m11 would it not also need a b7 in the chord as all extended chords automatically have the b7 in them? It's this that made me figure that it be a sus4, and it could be argued that this is incorrect anyway as sus2 and sus4 chords usually omit the 3rd. Some chords can be named a few different way and it's not always that a chord can be named if they are a bunch of unrelated notes.

11 chords are 7 chords.  As are 9 and 13 chords.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]