1 (edited by Jaynie 2007-11-23 21:17:59)

Topic: What does the diamond mean above the tab box?

Sorry if I seem to be a total ignoramus but unfortunatley I am  (I have only been playing for a couple of months.)  I know what the X means - that you don't play that string but can anybody please tell me what  the diamond means?

Re: What does the diamond mean above the tab box?

is it a diamond or is it a "0" ?

a "0" means to play the string open.
that maybe is what a diamond means if it is a diamond, other than that i have no idea.

I dont think I have noticed any diamonds

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It's definately a diamond, I am looking at a C9 variation that doesn't involve barres as I struggle to do them as I have found that I have a little bit of Arthritis in my left index finger that makes it difficult so I need to find different ways to play.

my guess is that it means harmonic

have a look at this

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=44

I think UYK is right about it being an open string as the 0 looks to be shaped like a diamond on my laptop.
Looked at the C9 and seems that whats it showing.
Ark

Hey Jaynie, are talking about the c9 in the chord chart of this site? If so, they are diamonds and it means open string. Tho, sometimes it is an "0" or "o". But also, some tab for songs have diamonds over frets that do mean harmonics. Hope I helped you.

The C9 I am looking at plays the A string and B strings on the first fret and it looks like the rest of the strings are played open but Im not sure because all of the other chords have o's for open strings not diamonds and yes it is from this site.

jaynie click on the "Resources" tab at the top of the page then click on the link "large chord chart" and look for the C chord shapes and  click on the C9 variant. This show all the C9's yours should be there all have a diamond shape "0" to denote an open note.
hope this helps
Ark

On the large chord chart I saw diamonds above strings on certain chords. What does this mean?

What do you mean by the meaning of life? Oh right, guitar!

Hi Jacko and welcome to chordie. The diamond means those string are played open (no fretting), the x means not played or muted.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!