Topic: Where are the XXL solo's from the past

One example: Ten Years After, with Alvin Lee "I'm going home" the solo and the way he plaid it was really fabulous.
Today, I don't find solo's or maybe short ones.
One of the best parts, watching a band, was the INTRODUCTION of the members, like on the drums John Doe, followed by 15 minutes drumming, on the bass guitar Joe Smith, also followed by a solo, and on guitar, gitaardocphil, playing the solo for about 15 minutes.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Where are the XXL solo's from the past

Mornin DocPhil, I attended five April Wine concerts over the years and when they announce thier drummer he usually solo's for 20 to 25 minutes and is always amazing. I guess it gives the other's in the band time for a smoke break or bathroom duties. Seems the other solo's are shorter. Anyway to me you can't beat live music, as I always love going to Live Shows.

Have a great day Doc..... Badeye.

one caper after another

Try the Bullet in a Bible album by Green Day. Loads of solos on there, mainly after introducing each member of the band!

I saw the Bullet In A Bible Concert on the Saturday... Absolutely Awesome but the solos weren't as long as maybe Karn Evil 9 by Emerson Lake and Palmer or Moby Dick by the mighty Zeppelin lol cool etc

I'm the son of rage and love

I think the monster guitar solo has gone away with the monster stadium band.  Today's music is much more punk/thrash/emo oriented, and it simply doesn't lend itself well to the ripping melodic solos we all know and love.

It will come back, though.  All the good stuff does.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It had something, seeing a drum solo for 20 minutes, see the BICEPS size of the late "BONZO" Bonham, if you have the last DVD already a few years ago.
The strange thing about this DVD is that you can clearly see that Jimmy Page was producing this.
ON 30 minutes:
- 15 minutes PAGE
- 9 minutes PLANT
- and 3 minutes for Jones and Bonham (he seemed to have a Keith Moon character)
Watch that video, or dvd. But I don't expect tha those times will return, OR maybe no band takes the risk????

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Check out  Jeff Healy  for some wicked guitar solo's. He is blind from an early age and plays guitar on his lap. We watched him one nite and he was so into it he fell off the stage, the band picked him up and he continued as if nothing happened. The show must go on.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Phil,

Gone are the days of the so called guitar gods and the all day solos. The generation of the gods were more techinically apt & precise in their playing. Now a days it's easy to play and hide flaws with electronics. With that said there are still good guitar players in todays world of music but not like Page's, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman to name a few.

Bootlegger.

Well thanks for answering, I think that we all share the same opinion AND if you play a long solo, would people still like it?
I was never really able to play solo's on my guitar. People told me that my style was more "lead guitar, whatever this means" I used to play a song, recognised quit fast by an audience, and I played more a kind of rhythm, but not really as a quiet player. I added always something, licks, riffs
and important for me, they had to realise what song I played. Well this can be an interesting topic, the style you play. About the XXL solos: they still exist, seeing and hearing the G3, about 3 years ago, Satriani, Vai, and in particular Malmsteen. He plays Beethoven and more classic composers as if it was nothing, but he started at 5 years, with classical music. I would like to know if the public, today, would be bored or enthusiast. but I think it was fantastic to see bands playing solos, but even at that time, too much was too much. Marc Bolan, playing almost 30 minutes Get It On, great to see and hear, they just couldn't stop.