Topic: what should i get??

heya i want to get a decent guitar and i'm not really too worried about money. I'm not keen on the flying Vs and i just want a nice guitar thats easy to play and good to look at. I'm thinking of Fender or Gibson... any preferences?

Hannah - teenage rocker!!

Re: what should i get??

If you aren't worried about money...

Try an Epiphone Les Paul or a Fender standard Strat. I have no idea if they are any good but they are what I would buy if I could afford them.

Or, try a PRS SE, lots of version, decent quality, and about £300.

gitaardocphil, what's your opinion?

hcullis wrote:

heya i want to get a decent guitar and i'm not really too worried about money. I'm not keen on the flying Vs and i just want a nice guitar thats easy to play and good to look at. I'm thinking of Fender or Gibson... any preferences?

What country are you in?

If you are looking for a professional quality instrument without the extreme cost, try http://www.rondomusic.com

I have the silverburst AL-2000 and it's absolutely lovely!
Video of it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4cqwuNGjo

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I would look at guitars that are more widely used, like Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster (American version), and PRS (if money don't matter!) 

I have both a Les Paul and a Strat.  I love the Strat for its lighter weight and five position pick up settings.  I play the Les Paul more, now that I have an effect pedal board!  The LP is a bit heavier, so you'll need a good, heavy duty strap for comfort.  You can go wrong with either one.

Why does everyone think that Fender and Gibson are the only decent guitar companies out there!?

The only reason that I can think of is that the media and advertising has brainwashed people.

First, let me say that I think Fender and Gibson do make several great guitars, but I do not think that they should be the only brands that one considers when looking for a decent electric guitar. Personal preference is everything! I would never consider buying a Gibson because they are over-priced. A les paul standard costs $2,000 bucks!! This is madness!!

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

6 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-11-16 07:19:31)

shredfiend wrote:

Why does everyone think that Fender and Gibson are the only decent guitar companies out there!?

The only reason that I can think of is that the media and advertising has brainwashed people.

First, let me say that I think Fender and Gibson do make several great guitars, but I do not think that they should be the only brands that one considers when looking for a decent electric guitar. Personal preference is everything! I would never consider buying a Gibson because they are over-priced. A les paul standard costs $2,000 bucks!! This is madness!!

Everyone?
How about a recommendation instead of condemnation of everyones views.

Sincerly,
A VERY Satisfied Les Paul & J-45 Parent

Hannah,
Have a look at these;
http://www.music123.com/Electric-Guitar … sic123?o=1

Give everything but up.

shredfiend wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.
These companies think that they have everyone by the short-hairs and they don't seem to understand that other companies can emulate their production processes down to the smallest factor and produce a guitar of the same quality for much cheaper.

Companies like Rondomusic.com produce basically the same guitar that Fender, PRS and Gibson do, but without the cost of the big-time name! I'm never going mainstream again now that I know better!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I do agree but only for 25%. I have been in the GIBSON plant in Memphis, I saw the production process of hollow bodies. About quality: YES, they want to put on the market only the best. It looks a lot on throwing away money, because they "destroy" 25% of these guitars. I was a little bit angry when I heard about this, because they can bring them on the market, as a lot cheaper model, like B-GIBSON. I just know that you will find real good guitars, other brands in stead of the Holy Trinity GIBSON, FENDER, PRS. Gibson does have low(er) budget guitars, not using lacquer like a Gibson SG Faded. I compare these guitars with a car: BMW, MERCEDES, LEXUS, they are expensive too, it is maybe a stupid fact to compare a Gibson with a Mercedes, but they have one thing in common, producing a very good product. I have a lot of guitars, and I will only take the acoustics, you can't beat them. About the price, if you have seen what I saw, it is amazing, the quality of these hollow bodies. I have 1 hollow body: an Epiphone Sheraton. I am also asking why they are expensive. Just know that if you transfer the production to China, with a few US people to check the process, the price will drop, and Chinese People are delivering fantastic work. They work real hard and good, certainly compared to countries like India.
I am a PRS fan, and they are offering you a better choice: an expensive US model or a lot less expensive Korean model: PRS SE, have one, and the sound is marvellous.
If you look around on chordie, I worked very hard on some topics, like cheaper but decent guitars. The problem is indeed that you pay a lot of money, but it is even 100 times worse, if you see vintage prices, like a fender stratocaster 1964, going up more than 20.000$ and this just for a piece of wood with strings.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

I compare these guitars with a car: BMW, MERCEDES, LEXUS, they are expensive too, it is maybe a stupid fact to compare a Gibson with a Mercedes, but they have one thing in common, producing a very good product.

Good point, also...

Lexus is another name for Toyota. You can buy a Toyota that is the same as a Lexus for about half the price. You can buy an Epiphone that is the same as a Gibson for about half the price.

Some Good points I agree. Some say fish is fish but me, I rather have a plate of some sushi grade tuna over catfish any day. You get what you pay for, there are very few exceptions to this ancient old adage.

Give everything but up.

well i'm from the UK and tryin to avoid an america shop as the p&p will cost quite a lot. If it isn't from a different country i could stretch to £500, so i think i can fins a decent guitar for that amount, not sure what thoug!! thanks a lot for you're comments everyone, i'll take them into consideration!! once again, saved by chordians!!

Hannah - teenage rocker!!

Tibernius wrote:
gitaardocphil wrote:

I compare these guitars with a car: BMW, MERCEDES, LEXUS, they are expensive too, it is maybe a stupid fact to compare a Gibson with a Mercedes, but they have one thing in common, producing a very good product.

Good point, also...

Lexus is another name for Toyota. You can buy a Toyota that is the same as a Lexus for about half the price. You can buy an Epiphone that is the same as a Gibson for about half the price.

Well, no.

Epiphone's are great guitars, but they aren't the same as a Gibson.  They typically use thinner, lower quality woods in Epis, often settling on a veneer, and most of them are made overseas by OEMs.  Epis typically use a lower quality electronics mix.

And for the record, a Lexus isn't a Toyota, either, for much the same reason.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

13 (edited by Tibernius 2007-11-16 20:51:40)

hcullis wrote:

well i'm from the UK and tryin to avoid an america shop as the p&p will cost quite a lot. If it isn't from a different country i could stretch to £500, so i think i can fins a decent guitar for that amount, not sure what thoug!! thanks a lot for you're comments everyone, i'll take them into consideration!! once again, saved by chordians!!

Check this website out then, they are much cheaper than the high-street guitar shops:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/index.php? … db5df7f0c5