Topic: Tabs

Hey. Can someone please explain to me how to read a tab? I know nothing about it, so please start with the basics:)

2 (edited by last_rebel 2007-11-14 22:20:25)

Re: Tabs

el-----
Bl-----
Gl---------
Dl----------
Al--------
El-------

the line= which string
number= which fret you put your finger on

/ or s= slide to (example: 4/5 means hit on fourth fret slide to fifth)
p= pull off
h= hammer on
^ = bend string
~= wiggle string

Okay first things first: hammer ons and pull offs.
    A 'hammer on' is simply when you pluck the string open, then press your finger down hard and quick enough on one of the frets to produce a slight sound. For instance, 0h3 (or open hammer on third fret), would mean you pluck the string open, then 'hammer' your finger down on the third fret to make that soft wuick little echo.
  A 'pull off' is the opposite of a hammer on. You pluck the string then let off of it and let it echo. (example, 3p0 or third fret pull off to open, would mean you hit the string with your finger down on the third fret and release it and let the cho note ring).

Okay next: bending and wiggling....
  Bending, Very simply means you put your finger down on the string and you push it upwards (or downwards I guess but not as often). in tablature notation 3^5 (or third fret bend up to fifth) means that you play ON THE THIRD FRET, but you bend it to produce the pitch of a fifth fret note.wiggling is the same thing except you bend it up and down rapidly (~)
  When you put your finger on a fret and pluck the string it produces a certain pitch, or 'note'. When you press down on the fret and push upwards )literally bending it, don't worry it wont break), you change the pitch or 'note', or in other words the sound becomes higher.The tab notation 3^5, does NOT mean you move your finger from the third fret, it simply means you push the string upwards untill it produces the pitch equal to the one you would get from plucking the string with the finger on fifth fret. Most string bending occurs on the e,B,and G strings, because they are thinner and easier to bend. Its gonna hurt, but you just have to do it anyway. As you get into the tablature that requires bending the string up and holding it there, you'll need lots of finger strength.
  String bending produces a special sound, kind of wha, slightly distorted effect, and you wont get far without learning it. As always practice makes perfect.... try some CCR, and other older bands before they had lots of effects to work with to find string bends. SO, in conclusion: String bending = pushing down and pulling upwards on the string NOT lifting the finger,

Here's some posts I put up previously for someone else who asked the same question. If you need some more help with any specific thing just holler smile,
                  Last Rebel

All You Need is Love smile

Thanks. What would I do with out you:P It was a little hard to understand the words and the meaning of them all, but I think I got it. I understand more now. I`ll try some CCR as recomended.

By the way, I forgot to ask, is there any perticular song of CCR you recomend?

mmmmm, I'd say fourtunate son's a good one to start with, check out back in black and hell's bells by AC/DC too, maybe .45 by shinedown, those are all pretty simple.

All You Need is Love smile

Thanks.

One more question, when you count the frets is number 1 the top or the buttom fret?

1 is the top fret where the neck joins the headstock.
The higher the number, the furthur down the fretboard you go.

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

Thanks, man. I`ll give it a shot now.:)

I have a related question. What is the difference between "fingerpicking" and "playing tab"?

alexis33 wrote:

I have a related question. What is the difference between "fingerpicking" and "playing tab"?

Tabs can be played with a pick or your fingers, while fingerpicking is strictly playing the notes with your fingers and thumb.  So, fingerpicking is tab, just without a pick.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

'Tab' is a type of musical notation specifically applicable to guitar.  'Fingerstyle' is a playing style. 

You can write tabs for strumming, in which the fret numbers line up vertically; if the fret numbers don't line up, it means to play the individual notes.  You can do either with a pick (strumming or 'flatpicking'), and you can do either with your thumb/fingertips in any of the various types of 'fingerstyle' (clawhammer, Travis).

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

What does p0 and p3 mean, and what are the differens?

14 (edited by Guitarpix 2007-12-03 03:59:37)

p0 would be just a pull off to an open note. For example..On your low E string,  5p0  your hitting the string with it fretted at the 5th fret and then releaseing it for an open note without plucking the string again (sometimes you may pluck the string a little with your fretting finger when releasing it but that depends on the sound your after).

P3 is pulling of to the 3rd fret.  example: 5p3  Would be hitting the string with it fretted at the 5th and then releasing it to the 3rd fret (already having the string fretted on the 3rd prior to releasing it at the 5th)

Hopr that helped! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNCwR1KQI0 This will make it nice and simple. The best video to show how to read basic tab! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju0NyraO … re=related Ok, found it, This lesson starts of with the blues scale but he covers your hammer ons and pull offs in it also.  Should be helpfull.

Thanks.:)

vheissu wrote:

1 is the top fret where the neck joins the headstock.
The higher the number, the furthur down the fretboard you go.

Ben

Think of the fretboard in terms of pitch. As the sound gets higher, you move UP the fretboard. As the sound gets lower, you move DOWN the fretboard. So to move from the first fret to the tenth fret, you move UP, to move from the tenth fret to the first fret, you move DOWN.

Give everything but up.

Hi again. can some one explain this tab to me? |--5p3/2---------------2p0--------------------------3p0----------------|
Explain what those means ?                                    /\                          /\                                    /\
                                                                                  l                            l                                      l

Thanks.:)

Place a finger on fret 5 and a finger on fret 3. Play the string then lift the fret 5 finger off allowing the string to ring on fret 3 then slide the fret 3 finger down to fret 2. When you play the pull off don't just lift it, give it a little flick and it will ring better.

Place a finger on fret 2. Play the string and pull off, as above, to the open string.

3p0 is similar to 2p0

oh, okey, thanks.:)

What do they mean with natural harmonics?

when they tell you to mute a string, what do they mean?

>>>>>"when they tell you to mute a string, what do they mean?"<<<<<<<<

It means to touch the string without pressing it down on the fretboard or to lightly touch your strumming, or picking hand over the string(s) that are to be silenced.

Give everything but up.

okey:) thank you.