Topic: AGAIN: DECENT GUITARS, MORE EXPENSIVE, BUT STILL AFFORDABLE

A fellow chordian VHEISSU asked a question about a Flying V.
Here is what he wrote
I'm looking at purchasing a Jackson Flying V from a local music shop for £250 (around $500) however, the only thing putting me off is that it's a string through body and I like having the choice of using my trem.
Would it be possible to fit a floating trem (floyd rose or something like it) to a string through body? Or would it just look terrible.
This topic is a result of his question, and I wrote already about "cheaper" electric guitars.
Now I will try to look for "the better guitar", a higher price of course, but I wanted to create a topic, about these kind of guitars. More: I will try to find 3-5 brands.
- Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar Overall: 9.15 (reactions and critics) price $579.99.
Faded is not with lacquer finish, and I witnessed the making of a Gibson hollow body in Memphis, the lacquer is a time taking process.
This guitar is a traditional SG, with mahogany body and neck, tune-o-matic/stopbar bridge, and alnico 490 pickups.
- Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster Electric Guitar from the Mexican Plant. It is a revised version of the former Super Strat. Upgraded with American-made Vintage Noiseless pickups. Very good critics, and not that cheap as a classic Mexican Strat. $599,99.
- Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Electric Guitar Overall: 9.42, very good critics $599, is not that cheap, is made in Korea. Being a PRS lover, I have an SE too. I wanted to add a PRS EG SE, but it seems that this model is discontinued. I have the US made EG serie, 3 different guitars with s-s-s coils, s-s-h(umbucker) and h-s-h. The s-s-s combination on my PRS sounds better than a strat. If you live in the UK, go to www.guitarbitz.com. Another solution is eBay, I purchased my PRS EG series, as well as a PRS SE Tremonti , SG style and real good, compared to the real thing.
- Fender Standard Floyd Rose Stratocaster Electric Guitar Overall: 9.02 (very good comment) but Mexican. (The Mexican Fenders sound pretty good) $499.99 - $534.99
- Paul Reed Smith SE One Electric Guitar Overall: 10.00 (super ratings), the price is $499.

So these guitars are really good, very important: great critics. Website I used:
www.musicianfriends.com. You will find also Scheckter, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, but I limited this topic to those guitars I would buy myself. One thing I do know is: it is subjective of course, I have a PRS SE Tremonti, and that guitar is one of my favourites.
I also recommend eBay, never got a problem with guitars, and seeing the $$ vs. the ££, don't think too long, you go to a music store, try some guitars, and than it's up to you. It is not because you enter a guitar store that you HAVE to buy. Here in Belgium a Gibson (forgot the type, it was an SG) price 1500€, in Germany, the same guitar €1300.
I hope I could help.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Tibernius 2007-11-13 12:11:45)

Re: AGAIN: DECENT GUITARS, MORE EXPENSIVE, BUT STILL AFFORDABLE

This website sells PRS guitars:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk

They are in the UK and are the cheapest I've found.

PRS Santana for £289!

Dear Tibernius.
Thanks for this information. I wanted the topic on the "electric" guitars, because it belongs here. I didn't check your site music street, but I certainly will. I am now busy to write about PRS.
Thanks a lot, I love information, the more the better. If you have some suggestions, they are more than welcome. I wrote this topic because of a young man, wanting information about Jackson's Flying V. You probably know my condition, and THANKS TO THAT CONDITION, I have time. I also try to help, a lot of people have questions. This also important for me, having about 25 guitars.
This makes it easier for me to compare, like 3 PRS EG USA made, another is a PRS SE Billy Martin, I swear, this is a killer guitar, and compared to a Gibson SG Menace, the SE is better.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

If you check ebay (uk version, but they should have them on all of them), you can buy an Airline guitar for about £250, that is exactly the same as the one Jack White (white stripes) uses.

gitaardocphil, have a look at the musicstreet website when you get chance, most (if not all) of the guitars they sell are at least £50 less than the rrp. The PRS guitars there are very cheap, but I think they only sell the korean versions.

What do you think of this website:

www.warmoth.com

They sell guitar parts, bodies, necks, etc. and custom guitars. It's cheaper to buy a custom Jaguar from them than buy one from Fender!

Tibernius, I don't know about the £ value, but the € is so strong that 10$=7€, which makes it very interesting to buy for us. I don't know about this year, all I know was that a Gibson Les Paul Standard, found on ebay, for 1000$ it was quit easy, because that price in $, was almost identical in Euro, all included: purchase, transport, custom taxes. This was 1000€. Go and find a guitar of this price. Can you believe this: a Gibson SG classic:
577.00 USD = 393.895 EUR or in Pound 281.752 GBP. If I should have more money now, I would go on my own to the USA, and both times I went there, I came back with a SJ-200 Montana Gold, and 1 year later a Martin D-45V (Nashville: GRUHN) I knew the serial number of the D-45V, and just asked a friend that he wrote me a certificate that he sold to me THAT guitar, with the correct serial number. And since I need to have a wheelchair (I can walk, but bigger distances are exluded, you see what a car crash can do, they "blocked" my foot, so I can't bend it, and I walk, and since that intervention, the pain in my back is unbearable, 1 vertebra "exploded in 4-5 pieces, and 1 piece is pushing against my spinal chord, feeling that it is getting worse every year.
Sitting in that wheel chair the customs here asked if that guitar came from the USA, my response was yes, it is one of the few things I can do. NO PROBLEM.