Topic: Compression

I always thought compression was bad, a cheap way of umphing up a sound, RCA used to directly process Elvis's vocals with it (making remastering pretty tough) but in my quest for a Scotty Moore/James Burton rockabilly sound I've found Vamp setting 17B to be perfect and the key part of it is compression. Anyone know their way around compression pedals? there seem to be alot of different ones out there...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Compression

cytania wrote:

I always thought compression was bad, a cheap way of umphing up a sound, RCA used to directly process Elvis's vocals with it (making remastering pretty tough) but in my quest for a Scotty Moore/James Burton rockabilly sound I've found Vamp setting 17B to be perfect and the key part of it is compression. Anyone know their way around compression pedals? there seem to be alot of different ones out there...

I have this one and love it. It adds amazing tone to ones soloing and the added sustain makes playing easier. I'd be lost without it;

http://www.music123.com/Boss-CS-3-Compr … 3.Music123

Give everything but up.

Stupid question since I own a G2.1U, but what exactly is compression? What does it do?

Compression squeezes your sound, limits it's frequency range, sounds like a receipe for bad tone doesn't it?

And yet compression is the essence of that late 50s, early 60s sound and at the heart of country electric guitar. Compression is great. Think 'I Feel Fine' By The Beatles, think 'Mystery Train' by Elvis. Somehow bass picks are a dozen times more percussive and treble notes sing out with a pleasing quack. Studios had the technology to add compression but I don't think pedals were around then. This makes me guess that hollowbody electrics and Fender amps added compression naturally.

I'm considering making a Carl Martin compressor as my late birthday treat. Top unit and doesn't rely on batteries or outboard supplies which is useful as once used this effect tends to stay on.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I have a zoom  multi unit effects.  I will put in some  compresson if I want harmonics - a little compression brings those bell sounds out nicely.

johncross21 wrote:

I have a zoom  multi unit effects.  I will put in some  compresson if I want harmonics - a little compression brings those bell sounds out nicely.

Thanks, I've got a Zoom G2.1U and had been wondering when to use compression. Now I know.

Compression squeezes your sound, limits it's frequency range, sounds like a receipe for bad tone doesn't it?

I'm sorry but that's not the case.

Compression doesn't affect frequency. It governs the amplitude of your signal by keeping the level within a particular range. It affects the dynamics of your playing.

Simply put, it amplifies weak signals and attenuates loud signals below and above a threshold.

It's used in recording studios to keep the volume of the recording within a range which is audible to the listener and under the distortion threshold, or to emphasise particular parts of the mix without affecting the volume levels.

For guitarists, used right, compression can be very useful. For instance you can pick individual notes and strum chords and keep the subjective volume level similar.

I often play electric guitar clawhammer style with metal thumb and fingerpicks. A bit of compression can add extra emphasis to the attack of the note and is great for separation of individual notes.

Experiment with different settings.

You won't hear much, but you'll start to play differently, and perhaps more accurately.