Topic: semitone chnages on the songs

on  the page the songs are displayed, to the right, there is an option to change the semitone. is that like adding a capo?

thanks

Re: semitone chnages on the songs

Hi JCURNAL and welcome to chordie!

Yes, it is sort of like adding a capo - but not exactly the same.

A capo changes the pitch (one fret = one semitone) but you still use the same chord fingerings.  However, the transposing tool on chordie allows the user to change the key of the song.

For instance, say a song is in the key of 'F' and uses F, Bb, Dm, C.  However, you don't want to mess with playing F or Dm of Bb so you simply change the key of the song to 'G' and then use G, C, Em, D.  This change is made by simply transposing 'up' 2 semitones.

For me, this is one of the very best features of chordie -

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

so i cancghange the semitone and use the different or easier chords but i do not add a capo to make those chords sound like the song?

I suppose you could transpose and then also use a capo . . . it's a personal preference.  A capo is good for moving a song into a comfortable singing range.  When you transpose a song to another key, it will still sound the same.

For instance, a 3-chord song in the key of 'G' might have the G, C, D chords.  If you transpose it to 'D' it will have the chords D, G, A.  Each set of chords includes the I, IV, V chords for that key - consequently, the song will 'sound' the same, it is just in a different key.

I hope this is helpful - I'm not sure if I have really answered your question.  James

James gave good information.  However, it's not likely that you'll be able to understand what he means by what he's written.  To really grasp what James has written, go try both methods.  You'll understand it through experience far better than through written word. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf - "understand it through experience" - that pretty much sums it up!  I was compelled to respond to JCURNAL's postings because they are good, basic questions that many new players have probably pondered.  However, once I started writing my answers, I realized that such a question is really just the tip of the iceburg for many fundamental concepts that would be difficult to describe in words but easy to demonstrate in person.

thanks for the info.

JCURNAL: I use this function often when the song is written in # or b, like Eb, or E#. Songs are often written in function of the "singer", or written on piano.
Transposing is a wonderful item here, you can play the transposed song, almost exact like the original. You will be able to find that 95% of the songs you transpose are as good as the original.
It is just a matter of being busy with + or - semitones, I am sure you find what you're looking for.
I considered this transposing thing as a VIRTUAL CAPO.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

9 (edited by alvee33 2007-10-22 17:53:15)

The way I use it is ............

If I transpose down 2 semitones then I put my capo on the 2nd fret.  Down 3 semitones - capo 3rd fret. I always try to transpose down for this reason.

Works for me.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??