Topic: "Ant Anthem"

Our good friend Roger Guppy managed to almost incinerate himself recently while spraying ants in his kitchen while the oven was lit.  I understand that his hair is slowly growing back and he looks almost like a mammal once again.

This song is in honor of the ants . . .

Ant AnthemJames McCormick, October 14, 2007

[G]Got a good job in the ant hill, I [C]carry stuff a-[G]round

[C]Building it nice [G]for the Queen, she lives way under-[D]ground

[G]All my buddies are really cool, we [C]got our special [G]groove

We [C]do it together, we [G]do it right, ain't [D]nothing we can't [G]move

And our [C]hill it is the [G]strongest,

The [C]biggest and the [D]best

We're the [C]center of the [G]universe,

Ex-[D]ceptionally [G]blessed

Well, I [G]tote around bits of this and that, I [C]traipse to and [G]fro

[C]Everybody [G]knows my name wherever I must [D]go

Through [G]tunnels or out upon the trail, I [C]do my job with [G]glee

I [C]love the work, [G]love the food, I [D]love the compa-[G]ny

And our [C]hill will last for-[G]ever

It's [C]our eternal [D]nest

We got [G]shiny exoskeletons, don't [C]need no boots or [G]socks

We [C]punch in once [G]when we're born, we're always on the [D]clock

We pa-[G]trol our sprawling empire, [C]forage far and [G]wide

[C]Leave a trail of [G]pheromones our [D]comrades for to [G]guide

Our [C]hill it is the [G]pinnacle,

A [C]place of utter [D]bliss

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-30 23:57:19)

Re: "Ant Anthem"

Love the song!! I picked up my guitar and played with it and love it!! I played it in power chords and gave it a Sublime/Ska sound (similar to "What I got") And thought it worked out perfect! Thanks for sharing it! Sorry to hear about Roger though...I had a similar incident with my furnace 2 years ago...lol  Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi James
Just come home, American visitors, wonderful night! wonderful conversation.

Exoskeletons "Ants" imagine over 500 million years old? These wonderful tiny creatures the mind boggles even
with a few wines. Roger will love this. Thankfully he wasn't burned alive! He may even refrain from useing sprays?  Although we all know they are must to keep our own nest habitable!
Personally i prefer Essential Rosemary oil, mixed with common water  i found is the best and most natural deterrant.
Seen some beautiful Ant hills recently, done as i love to do, watched them in total quiet and bliss. There work is all about total unition. Humans could
learn so much from them.
Love the image,"We got our special groove".
Well done James.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Guitarpix - so glad you enjoyed this little ditty . . . power chords are perfect for the intended grandeur of this anthem!

Old Doll - I just know that you would particularly enjoy this ode to our little formic friends!  'Round here we have mostly Fire Ants - red, aggressive, stinging, nasty little buggers.  Originally from South America, these little nasties have slowly and steadily spread and are edging out almost all other native ant species.  They were introduced accidently when a research colony on a coastal island was scattered by a hurricane several decades ago.  Fire Ants are no fun - but they are amazingly adaptable and fascinating.

James, is it possible that you have telepathic abilities? I swear that I have a song titled the anti ant anthem, because I adore playing with words.
Weird.
Nice tune, but 1 question, we tried, you, guitarpix and me this song. Probably the 3 versions are different in style, about the song.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Huh it was me that was invaded by the marauding millions, me that fought valliantly using new and ingenious tactics, me that was the victor albeit sorely wounded and he writes a song about the enemy. I am going to sulk!!!  tongue

Actually I do rather like the little critters and can spend ages just watching them work and of course I have one for my avatar. (I just do not want them in my home)

Great song James an unusual subject but as usual well thought out lyrics and chords, it plays well.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger, you're still my hero!

An epic ballad of your Pyrrhic Victory may yet emerge - possibly an entire rock opera.  I can just see the pyrotechnic special effects and hear the army of ants marching into battle.

The part of Roger would be a dashing tenor (obviously).
The Cat would have to be a sultry alto.
The Ant Queen would have to be a soprano of magnificent proportions.
The Horde of Ants could be mixed chorus.
The part of the Baked Potato - tough to cast - but I'm thinking maybe a child star.

One question though . . . did you ever get around to eating that baked potato?

8 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-10-15 19:24:38)

"Actually I do rather like the little critters and can spend ages just watching them work and of course I have one for my avatar. (I just do not want them in my home)"

"Great song James an unusual subject but as usual well thought out lyrics and chords, it plays well."
<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<<<>>>

I in agreement with the previous posts. Wonderful song James. You got a cool mind!!

I just realized that Roger's avatar was an ant. I always thought it was a person playing the bagpipes.

SoutPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

"Actually I do rather like the little critters and can spend ages just watching them work and of course I have one for my avatar. (I just do not want them in my home)"

"Great song James an unusual subject but as usual well thought out lyrics and chords, it plays well."
<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<<<>>>

I in agreement with the previous posts. Wonderful song James. You got a cool mind!!

I just realized that Roger's avatar was an ant. I always thought it was a person playing the bagpipes.

SoutPaw41L

I always thought the same thing...lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I had it for Ants until I saw this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120587/
Then I couldn’t quite see them in the same light.
The thought that I might be squashing a comedy genius and a host of luvies. Sorta restrained me. lol
James proving again you make a good song out of  mostly anything.
Regards
Ark

hi james this sounds like a" biting,sore subject "good song though,well done james...now roger i dont know what you've singed, but read the directions on the can first ...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

OK James you are back in my good books I have stopped sulking. The baked potato was delicious smothered with melted butter and cheese and not an ant insight.

SouthPaw and GuitarPix my buddy Adam Ant is deeply aggrieved and if I am reading the signs correctly you can expect your own invasions shortly, so be warned. Bagpipes indeed!!

DaddyCool for full details of my heroic encounter check out the "Embarrassing Moments" thread in the Chat section: http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4170 post #7

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"