Topic: If you've heard the song 'murder on music row' by alan jackson ...

I am a country music fan, and as such I'll admit that it aint quite what it used to be. George Strait and Alan Jackson wrote a song about how they'd took out the steel guitars and fiddles, and 'tore the heart and soul' out of the music.... most of what they said i could agree with untill they came to the part about how electric guitars were ruining country music.
This ticks me off, because, well its just a really stupid statement when you look at the music and see all the different styles that are incorporated into it. So here is Last Rebel's response to the song,

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

Anyway I heard it on the radio and got all ticked off again so i wrote a song about it lol

All You Need is Love smile

Re: If you've heard the song 'murder on music row' by alan jackson ...

hi last rebel you certainly give them a good kicking well done   stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Rebel,

Two in a row and I enjoyed this one so much I will even forgive you for not putting the chords all the way through to make life easy for an oldiel ike me whose memory is going.

Seriously it is a nice easy song to play and a melody comes very naturally from the chord sequence. I like it, well done.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hehe...thats pretty good..

5 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-10-14 13:34:57)

This song was written by Larry Cordle and Lonesome Standard Time. It's the title track from the 2000 release.  http://www.lonesomestandardtime.com/

This is an amazing piece of work. Larry is a local legend in Nashville who has written songs for a ton of the mainstream 'country' music performers. I personally have met Larry and have seen him perform at the 'Station Inn' in Nashville , Tennessee. He really opened my eyes to what is real and what is important in the music industry.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last Rebel Wrote;
I am a country music fan, and as such I'll admit that it aint quite what it used to be. George Strait and Alan Jackson wrote a song about how they'd took out the steel guitars and fiddles, and 'tore the heart and soul' out of the music.... most of what they said i could agree with untill they came to the part about how electric guitars were ruining country music.
This ticks me off, because, well its just a really stupid statement when you look at the music and see all the different styles that are incorporated into it. So here is Last Rebel's response to the song,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think you're missing the meaning of this song as well as the proper creator of this song. It(Murder on Music Row) was written due to an unwanted invasion of 'boy bands' during the awards ceremonies at the C.M.A.'s. George Jones actually walked off stage in disgust over the whole situation. Back to the lyrics; here's the chorus in it entirety;

"For the steel guitar no longer cries and fiddles barely play
But drums and rock and roll guitars are mixed up in your face
Old Hank wouldn't have a chance on today's radio
Since they've committed murder, down on music row."

The song is a plea to future generations of 'country' music performers(some, not all) to keep with the traditional sounds of music from the past and not to stray too far away from the 'roots'. Contemporary country has it's place but so does tradition.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Good song lastRebel,

I love Alan Jacksons voice. Line danced to his Chattahoochee!

He also does a great rendition of Buffetts "Five Oclock Somewhere.

Adalida by Strait, great song to Rock n Roll to.

Murder On Music Row" Is one of the loviest sounds to slow dance to.

Yes! I do agree with some here "He Did mean dont lose sight of the
real sound of Country Music.

A wee bit like our  own "Diddly Di Music. We may not all like it, but wouldn't
want to lose it from our Culture.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Having roused my interest I think I have found the song from which I believe was the catalyst for Last_Rebel's  new song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiILl_F7O8

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

8 (edited by last_rebel 2007-10-14 15:15:53)

lol.... maybe this came across the wrong way. First off let me say I like Alan Jackson, and I do agree that what the music has become is disgusting, and that that was actually a really good song BUT, the choice of words is what bothers me.
99% of it is absolutely correct.... but first of all there aren't usually rock and roll guitars (and here i must emphasize that rock and roll, is NOT the same as metal, hard rock, punk rock) in boy bands.
Some of the best country music has a great electric guitar player somewhere in there, and a nice drum beat too, so even if this song comes off as sounding too angry, all I'm trying to say is lets point the finger at the industry that let that happen, and the funny boy bands, NOT the instrument that helped define our music , and when I say that I don't mean Kieth Urban, I'm talking 'Cephus and Waylon smile
  I'm sure the man that originally wrote the song actually has the same ideas about music as I do, I'm disgusted by most of the crap that comes on the radio these days, this is just another point of view on the same subject.... kind of like Kitty Wells' 'It wasn't God who made honky tonk angels'
So no hard feelings??

All You Need is Love smile