Topic: You'll Come Back Home

My son’s on my mind a lot lately with his redeployment only about a month away so here’s another song for him. I hope you like it.

You’ll Come Back Home By Jeff Gilpin

October 11th, 2007

Intro

[Bm]x4

Verse 1

The[Bm] time is almost here

That time that’s [G]filled me with [Bm]dread

Kept trying to [G]keep it out of my [Bm]head

But it keeps [A]returning[Asus4] [A]

Verse 2

Like looking [Bm]out on a foggy day

It’s all so [G]shapeless at first [Bm]glance

But when you [G]give your eyes a [Bm]chance

You’ll catch [A]details [Asus4] [A]

Chorus

It’s [D]clearer now

Closer to the [A]time

That you go a[G]way

Not for a [A]crime

Just to [D]serve

And one [A]day

You’ll come back [G]home

Verse 3

You’d [Bm]think it’d be old hat

That we’d be [G]stronger this time [Bm]round

There’d be no sur[G]prises to be [Bm]found

And that we’d be [A]ready[Asus4] [A]

Verse 4

But it’s like we’re [Bm]playing a dangerous game

Only it’s a [G]game that’s absent of [Bm]fun

Where there’s [G]nothing to be [Bm]won

Only your sur[A]vival[Asus4] [A]

Chorus

It’s [D]clearer now

Closer to the [A]time

That you go a[G]way

Not for a [A]crime

Just to [D]serve

And one [A]day

You’ll come back [G]home

Verse 5

If this [Bm]world could be made fair

I could [G]do your time for [Bm]you

[G]Double if they asked me [Bm]to

And I’d do it [A]smiling[Asus4] [A]

Verse 6

Be[Bm]cause when you’re away

Every [G]single day you’re [Bm]gone

It seems the [G]days are twice as [Bm]long

And the nighttimes [A]longer [Asus4] [A]

Chorus

It’s [D]clearer now

Closer to the [A]time

That you go a[G]way

Not for a [A]crime

Just to [D]serve

And one [A]day

You’ll come back [Bm]home

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: You'll Come Back Home

Hey Jas - Yep, this is one I want to record as well but I really have a stack of songs I want to record I might have to pick and choose

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Another dandy song, Jeff - My thoughts are with you and your son as his re-deployment starts.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I have a few friends in the service as well, Greg's over in Iraq as we speak, and Paul just got back.... Blake I don't know where he's at.
Nice song, seems like people get off on tangents about what they think about the war, and i'm talking about people for AND against it, that they forget our own boys are still over there putting thier lives on the line. I hope they know there are still people hoping and praying for them, and who are proud of them, if not always the government that sent them off....
Anyway very nice song jets.

All You Need is Love smile

Jeff,
First of all I wish to thank your son for his bravery and sacrifice. Please send him my best wishes and thanks, sincerely.
Next, you are a fantastic writer of song. I've enjoyed every song you've posted but this one,"You'll Come Back Home", is in my opinion your finest work. I have a good friend in Toledo Ohio who has family members in Iraq and Afghanistan. His name is J. Hanson and he, like you, is a fine songwriter. He wrote a song titled "Home" that I think you'd appreciate. I think you can access this song from this site;
http://www.junkanoobrothers.com/

Finally, just wanted to thank you again for sharing your gift of song with us and wish you and your family the best.

Have a Great Day,
SouthPaw(Toney)

ps; I grew up in southwest Virginia(Pulaski County). Which part of the state is Gainsville in?

Give everything but up.

hi jeff a great composition and we can feel for you while your sons away  stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Jets,
lovely song as always.
May the strength of the Good Lord be between his shoulder blades and all
who so bravely give for the rest of us! Bring them all home safe in body and mind.
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thank you all for your kind words and comments
James I'll pass it on to him and thanks
Reb - I agree. My son volunteered and knew what he was getting into. I didn't want him to. I didn't want him to place himself in danger but he did what he thought was right and I support him on his decision, though I worry about him a lot. My son Tim is a bridge crew member in the US Army and while it is not in the most dangerous field in the military he is, like many of our sons and daughters, over there in a war zone where sometimes bad things happen and I want him home safe as soon as he is done with what I hope is his last tour there. I cannot imagine how the mothers and father of the soldiers who routinely go out on patrols keep from worrying themselves sick.
Toney - Thanks you for your comments. I could never have started writing if it wasn't for chordie and all my fellow chordie friends. I think I did a good job on this one too and like I said to Jason I plan on recording it when I get some time. I just wish I could sing it and play it exactly how I hear it in my head where I never make a mistake and am always on key. smile Gainesville is just west of Manassas and where I live is on the edge of Haymarket just off I-66. It’s almost like the mountains but not quite
Daddy - Thank you I like it too
Helena - Thank you for your words and your prayer for my son.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

Your choice of chords and the sequence really set the right mood for your lyrics. A wonderful song to play and sing and I look forward to hearing your recording of it sometime. Well done.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"