1 (edited by johncross21 2007-10-13 17:14:55)

Topic: Singing (along to guitar)

I don't do a lot of singing but I do sing occasionally when I play my guitar

There are some songs which I can sing almost passably but I have never had any lessons

so I have some questions about pitch

I often find when I play music in books that I can can either sing somewhere up there or somewhere down there. one is usually easier.  I presume but, am not sure, that the  two different positions are octaves of each other.

assuming that they are  - and in both cases I am in key - is there a convention about which octave to use - should you sing at the same pitch as the root note of the gutar part - or can you sing an ocave lower.

and it possible to pitch your voice  between the two octave (or is that going to be horribly discordant).

on a second point  - people often say that if you voice is too high for a song move the key up using a capo but I often have a different problem. my voice is quite low. is it possible to change to a lower key when you are playing open chords

perhaps one key is easier for people with deep voices - or are the keys (played in the open position) about the same pitch ?         

confused yet ?

if you can work out any logic in this - give me some thoughts

Re: Singing (along to guitar)

lol hi John
Well, take it from me, use your capo a lot more!!
Even if you have a low voice, it can still sound in key with a capo on the 2 nd 3rd 4th or even 5th fret. The string ight sound higher, because indeed they are but your voice will be in tune with them. Or maybe be ,lol

I have been using my capo more and more so i do not strain my voice. I dont know if you have read any of my posts about singing nodules? but that is what you can get if you strain your voice. I neever got my nodule from straining but straining my voice while having a nodule makes it worse.

Sometimes I think I am not straining my voice when plying in open chords but still every song I am doing I am starting with the open chords and then trying it on every fret up to the 5th to see if I am finding it easier to sing. I think everyone should do this. you will be suprised at how many songs you will use your capo on.
I  find I mostly if using a capo put it on the 2nd fret. but then it all depends on what scale the song is in. I could transpose to make it better but transposing sometimes means learning other chords, so I prefer to use a capo ( lazy way I know but effective)

Old Doll sent me this link http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breathing_techniques.html
It is quite similar to the breathing techniques I am getting at speech therapy and I can say they do work. If you follw the steps you will find singing is much more relaxed.
Breathing is wonderful,lol. So I just discovered, even when talking.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken

as I was writing my post I thought perhaps I should try using the capo for songs which are too high for me and then singing the octave below

sounds like thats what you're suggesting ?

I'll try it and see if it works for me

john

Hi you need to find your key. Guess you knew that.
Try singing a simple 3 cord song in say C F and G. then play the song in A D and E. go on to play the same tune in F Bb and C. this is playing the song in different keys. In the end you will find the key that suits you. You may find that starting in C for one song is fine but a different song might suit you better starting in D. have a look at the SONGS on this web site, pick a song you know well and have a go at changing the key with the TRANSPOSE CHORDS function. Have a go at experimenting for now and see how you get on
Des

hi john i play all my songs on the first three frets so i dont think i can go any lower anyway i just play and sing for fun so in my case it does'nt really matter but if your singing professionally you have to be a bit more careful and need the right tune to get your songs across...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool