Topic: UNDERESTIMATED FAMOUS GROUPS

This topic is more focused on the fifties, sixties and seventies.
Maybe it is not fair for our younger chordians, they can probably make a similar topic about underestimated groups starting from the eighties.

I admit that a better title would have been the same but about pop groups, who sold millions of records by us, being shy mentioning the name of such groups. IT WAS "NOT DONE" to be a fan of certain groups. (Examples: Mud, The Sweet, Slade, in fact more the "glitter" style, see PAUL GADD
better known as Gary Glitter, T-Rex = Mark Bolan can be added too) Like I told they sold millions, and now you will find them back, touring under the name "the Golden Time)
Underestimated for me:
- Bee Gees
- Kinks
- The Who
- The Tremeloes
- The Hollies
Please add your opinion concerning these groups. Maybe it is not correct to mention Zager & Evans or Norman Greenbaum. I am convinced that they sold probably better in the US

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: THERE MUST BE HUNDREDS OF THEM, LIKE THE TURTLES, REALLY GOOD

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: UNDERESTIMATED FAMOUS GROUPS

I wouldnt have thought The Who or the Kinks were underestimated at all. They were/are massive

Maybe this will depend on what part of the world you live in? I know in the Uk The Jam were hugely massive and quite rightly so, but they never made it in america so they were underestimated there.
Also Oasis, very big in Uk and europe but never quite done it in America as big as they did elsewhere.
So it really depends where they were very big and where they were underestimated.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The Band

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

richie valens. all time greatest. if he would have lived he would have changed the face of rock and roll. he did beutiful things for my people(mexican americans) but now that i think about it, he wasnt all that underestimated.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Ten Years After. Alvin Lee would've possibly been considered the best guitarist of his era, had it not been for this guy named James Marshall Hendrix. Alvin recently played a seminar at a little music store near my home. This guy is freakishly good, still!!

Give everything but up.

Wow, I had the chance to see both "Ten Years After" and "The Band" in 1994 at the Woodstock Music Festival. Both truly awesome performances. I collected all the Bands
music over the years and they have some great music.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

I agree with upyerkilt and southpaw (where did you get your nickname?) .
The best dvd I saw was the overwhelming song: I'm going home by Ten Years After. But what happened later with Alvin Lee, who was indeed one of the best guitar players I ever saw.
About the who and the kinks I was maybe wrong. Upyer do you know the song DAVE BERRY singing: you got this strange effect on me (written by Ray Davies) and was a huge hit in the UK, Belgium, and maybe a few more countries? Have you heard something about Scott Mckenzie after his (Mama & Papas) song: SAN FRANCISCO. You are 100% correct about the JAM, followed by other WELLER projects. WORLD FAMOUS in the UK, and a lot less in the rest of Europe.
By the way: why are bands so unhappy when they don't have success in the USA. If you focus your music more in Europe, you will have a gigantic market: just count the numer of people in other European countries?

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: EUROPEAN BANDS, FORGET THE USA AND CONCQUER EUROPE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I agree with upyerkilt and southpaw (where did you get your nickname?) .
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Phil,
My nickname is from playing guitar left-handed. Here's some USA info on the origin of the name;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southpaw_% … guation%29

Give everything but up.

Surprised that Ken never mentioned them, imo one of the most underated bands ever are Stiff Little Fingers.

When people talk about Punk Rock it always amazes me that SLF hardly ever get the credit that the Pistols or The Clash receive.
A tremendous band imo.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

very true Craig,
Why did I not mention them? also the Alarm  ithink are underestimated everywhere too.

Phil,
heard mama and papas, like the song.
And I think people are disapointed if they dont get famous in USA because it is so big. If you conquor USA you have a good name as you will have so many fans. I thin kthat is why bands want success in USA so much and who can blame them? if they want bigger then do it in a big place. Usa is the biggest piece of ground that speak english and probably mostly only listen to english singing, whereas in europe ye've got all sorts of languages and singing and different instruments.
Also Japan!! bands want to make it big there too. No idea why, their first language is not even scottish,lol or english.

I just want to make it big in the hills of scotland, that will do me.  iam going to try and do a tour next year of about 10 different bothies. And I dont even charge anyone to see me, I do it for the music, the enjoyment, the pleasure, the satisfaction, the whisky, the sore head in the morning the..... the...... did I mention fun?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I think one of the best bands never to make it huge are Del Amitri.  They churn out great song after great song, ballads are beautifully done, rock songs are punchy with great hooks and riffs yet they get very little recognition outside of their fan base.  Very upsetting

x

I'm the son of rage and love

Indeed Stiff Little Fingers, but isn't or wasn't there also a band called "Little Feet?"

Yes Phil,
Here are some musical morsels on "Little Feat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Feat

Give everything but up.

All I have to say is that I was born in the wrong time. Everyone has told me that since I was 10. I love the mamas and the papas, the who, bees gees, the hollies,the ramones,scott mc kenzie, pink floyd, and Nancy sinatra. I would pritty much call my self a hippie/punk.
                        I have my moods. I love the golden time!

Lets go melt some faces!!!!

I really like a band called Skindred, they play a mix of metal, punk, reggae and rock.

www.myspace.com/skindred

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Little Feat.  Most awesomest live band you'll never see.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]