Topic: Autoharp

Hi,

Anybody else out there play the autoharp?  I have a lot of trouble finding music specifically for it that I like and usually have to adapt guitar chords. Is any one else in the same boat?  I think it is far more versatile than the music books give it credit for.

Re: Autoharp

Greetings omIni - I am an autoharpist!  It is a wonderful instrument which (unfortunately) is too often played very poorly.  Most folks think it can only be lap- strummed by sweet little old ladies . . . but it is actually a powerful and expressive instrument - with 36 strings spanning 3 1/2 octaves there is vast potential for sonic bliss.

Playing autoharp is alot like playing chess - the basic moves are real easy . . . it is how you put the moves together that really counts.  I have been playing for three or four years now - it is a blast and I am constantly discovering new sounds and techniques to coax more nuance from the instrument.

It can churn out monster chord changes with wicked speed and precision or whisper sweet seduction like a sex godess.  I love to sing - and I especially love to sing and play my autoharp. 

Musically, I'm omnivorous - - - anything from Gregorian Chant to Old Timey to Classical to Rock & Roll to Tin Pan Alley to Blues to Broadway to Top40 to Southern Harmony to Punk to Bluegrass you name it . . . genre labels are tedious - if I hear something I like I really don't care what label applies.

Glad to find another 'harpist on Chordie.  It is a tremendous resource.  The transposing tool is especially useful for moving a song into a harp-friendly key - and the vast pool of tunes available is great fun.

So - what do play - chromatic or diatonic - 21 or 15 chord - fingers or fingerpicks - ???  Hope to see other autoharpists join this discussion.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I  love your way with words James, the sweet seduction od a love goddess ,lmao, cracker, very good.

so, anyway, yeah, should this post not be in other stringed instruemnts?

just wondering ,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Yes, Upyerkilt, this autoharp thread should actually be under 'Other Stringed Instruments'.  Can the thread be moved by a moderator, or should it just be restarted in its proper place?

By the way, I checked out your 'Little Black Flea' song on youtube - - you've inspired me . . . now I want to borrow a digital camera and post some songs of my own.

Upyerkilt - I have started a new 'Autoharp' thread in the 'Other Stringed Instruments' section.  Thanks for pointing out that the previous posts were off-topic in the 'Acoutsic' section.

inspired you? cool,lol. I think that is now threee people in my life i have managed to inspire.lol

Let us know when you get your songs on and I will rate them high, whether i like them or not,lol

just what I expect from everyone here

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending