1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-21 10:56:19)

Topic: WHO IS CONSIDERED TODAY AS THE BEST GUITARIST?

I know, a lot of discussions are going about the best band, BEATLES or STONES
or about JIMI HENDRIX, & SRV.
But I wanted to have some information about who is considered "TODAY" as the best guitar player.
I did see DVD's with the G3, SATRIANI, VAI and people like MALMSTEEN, JOHNSON and others, like STEVE LUKATHER.
Derek Trucks and Adrian Legg, but I don't know 1 single thing about these guys, except that Trucks seems to be the youngest "voted" guitar player.
Of course, we are subjective, but try to be OBJECTIVE. There are great guitarists you don't like because you don't like the music.
MY LIST (??)
- Billy Gibbons, ZZ-TOP. The group has only 3 members, (the funny thing is the name of the drummer, named BEARD, the only member without a beard) Why do I like GIBBONS, because he plays the guitar alone, but when you see them live, you have the impression that there are hidden behind the curtain, 2 more players. ( Maybe it is like that?)
- John Fogerty: not a brilliant guitar player, but full of passion, and also ALONE, on LIVE CCR albums, see also NEIL YOUNG, same category.
We have the "turbo players" like Johnson, Malmsteen. Also Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, but I stick more on players like KEITH RICHARDS. What I saw in 2003 in New Orleans, in a club, beats everything, a real genious. Other item: HOW DO THEY FIND GREAT PLAYERS: Scout, luck?
I saw a "similar topic" by jamiey1, difference: My QUESTION IS NOW in 2007

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: GREAT GUITAR PLAYER: IT AIN'T ME BABE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHO IS CONSIDERED TODAY AS THE BEST GUITARIST?

It all depends on what type music and band you like. Who's great to me you may not like and the one's that I do like have been doing it for 50 years and younger persons like them too.

Bootlegger.

Why the hell does it even matter?

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

hey gitaardocplil, i really like this blues guy named guy davis.  he plays mandolin banjo 12 string guitar and harmonica (not all at once) he really doesnt get alot of respect.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

SGinCYQX wrote:

It matters because GittarDocPhil says it does. He wants to know who people like to perhaps enlighten himself or others onto something wonderful and fantastic that others might be missing out on. Don't think of his request as a popularity contest but instead think of it as a showcase of brilliance.

Hello GittarDocPhil my friend,
I'm really into; Steve Vai, Warren Haynes, Carlos Santana, Eric Johnson,
                         Trey Anastasio, Jerry Douglas, Pat Metheny, George Benson, 
                           Joe Satriani, Gary Rossington, Brad Paisley, John Mayer,
                             etc....., the list grows and changes every day.
                                 Peace and Guitars,
                                  SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

SGinCYQX: I don't have a clue that it matters, because you are maybe the best player.
No, I am just looking for a guitar player, I prefer in a band, and not like "the guitar man" and band.
You have a few types: "speed" guitar players, like MALMSTEEN, impossible to follow that guy, BONAMASSA too, too fast.
I am convinced, as I wrote, that in clubs, like in Memphis, New Orleans, there are some evenings, unbelievable players. I am just asking how guitar players, I saw in a club, remain a lot in that circle of bars. Are there still "talent scouts"?

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: NOTHING MATTERS, BUT FOR METALLICA: NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

I am convinced, as I wrote, that in clubs, like in Memphis, New Orleans, there are some evenings, unbelievable players. I am just asking how guitar players, I saw in a club, remain a lot in that circle of bars. Are there still "talent scouts"?

Condensed by Bootlegger to address a portion of the post 9-22-07.

Phil,

The A&R reps of today aren't the same the are looking for trendy type music that is going to bring in revenue or commerical success which still equals the almighty dollar. The musicians you mentioned on the chitlin or bar circuit as you wrote are doing it out of passion for music. Most if not all of them dream of the big time, but I bet that the majority of them would play for free if you did'nt have no money to pay them. But they do get paid because they have bills to pay just like you and me. You will find alot of musicians that should be signed to a major label but they play what I call musicians music. The ones who recognize their talent are other musicians. I don't know the percentage of A & R reps that are or have been musicians if any.

Bootlegger.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
SGinCYQX wrote:

It matters because GittarDocPhil says it does. He wants to know who people like to perhaps enlighten himself or others onto something wonderful and fantastic that others might be missing out on. Don't think of his request as a popularity contest but instead think of it as a showcase of brilliance.

Hello GittarDocPhil my friend,
I'm really into; Steve Vai, Warren Haynes, Carlos Santana, Eric Johnson,
                         Trey Anastasio, Jerry Douglas, Pat Metheny, George Benson, 
                           Joe Satriani, Gary Rossington, Brad Paisley, John Mayer,
                             etc....., the list grows and changes every day.
                                 Peace and Guitars,
                                  SouthPaw41L(Toney)

SP41L(Toney!):

I'm with you on most of your list, good picks on Santana, Warren Haynes and Eric Johnson. What era on Garry Rossington, the first Skynyrd, Rossington Collins Band or the ever changing current Skynynrd line up? I urge you to listen to the "Street Survivors" album/cd (I have both) Stevie Gaines does some great work on it. He plays the first lead on "That smell" also the harmony lead with Allen Collins and the openning lick on "I know a little. He was really fluid.

Bootlegger.

Alan Holdsworth.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

well first of all ur right, billy is awesome....
i would say some of my personal choices would be,

stevie ray vaughn

slash

and of course being a huge skynyrd fan i have to mention them, and dont get me wrong gary rossington plays a mean slide guitar but i think steve gaines was just as good (if not a hiar better and being an all around player)

im also a big hank jr fan, and even though i know he uses a band most of the time, ive seen him play on his own and that dude's pretty impressive, kind of reminds me of waylon who would have been on the list if he hadnt passed away a few years back.

All You Need is Love smile

My favourite guitarist was............my dad.  No, he never had a number one record and he never performed in front of millions but he played and played and played for his family and freinds.  Each time someone asked him to play publicly, he would smile and say, "Hell No!  No one wants to hear this old Samoan."  But everyone did.  He could play anything.  He learnt on a a "coconut guitar"  Thats where the shell of a old dried out coconut is used with other peices of wood and made into a guitar, very similar to a uke.  They still make them the odd time but they are only good for one session!!!  Then you make another one!
Outside of my dad, I have many guitarists I love, but probably my favourite is David Gilmour.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

gitaardocphil wrote:

SGinCYQX: I don't have a clue that it matters, because you are maybe the best player.
No, I am just looking for a guitar player, I prefer in a band, and not like "the guitar man" and band.
You have a few types: "speed" guitar players, like MALMSTEEN, impossible to follow that guy, BONAMASSA too, too fast.

Well, if you want to know who everyone else likes, that's a different thing. By my thoughts, the best are B.B King, Peter Green, Mark Knopfler, and other "bluesy" players like them. I personally think the best players are those with a bluesier sound. But you may think the shredders, who play millions of notes a second are the best. Or the modern Indie guys who play weird licks that no one's ever heard are the best. It's all objective.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Some of my favorites guitarists;

Joe Walsh- The James Gang,Barnstorm, The Eagles.

Carson Downey- Big City Blues Band.

Jose Feliciano.

The guitarist from- Los Lonley Boys.

S V R .

Jeff Healy- The Jeff Healy Band.

Randy Backman- The Guess Who, Backman Turnerr Overdrive.

Buddy Guy.

Brownie MaGhee

Jon Jones-Spare Parts

I also love the sound of some old blues players like Leadbelly, Sam "Lightning" Hopkins, Elmore James,
Blind Boy Fuller,and newer blues players like Guy Davis,
John Cambelljohn,Morgan Davis, Matt Anderson,and my all time favorite Matt Minglewood. I can't say that any of these
players are the best but I sure do like them. Cool Thread.

... Badeye.

one caper after another

Trying too stick with modern and relatively new guitarists I would say the following 3 are amongst the best around today;

John Frusciante.

Jack White.

Matt Bellamy.

As for all time greats? Quite a few of the aforementioned obviously. And, I'd include guys like;

Peter Green.

Ritchie Blackmore.

Mick Ronson.

Pete Townshend. (naturally). smile

The geezer from The Stooges who's name escapes me at the moment.

Tony Iommi.

John Squire.

Ronnie Wood.

Paul Simon.

Robbie Krieger.

These might not be the most technically proficient guitarists around, they might not even make most folks top 100. But, for me, what makes a great guitarist is whether or not the sound reaching my eardrums can shift my mood around, make me play an 'Air guitar solo' out of the blue or indeed, most importantly, make me lift PJ out of her stand and strangle a few chords out of her.
Every last one I've mentioned can do that. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

15 (edited by neon of Flare 2007-09-28 00:36:21)

between John frusciante, buckethead, jimi hendrix and slash

amazing that no one has mentioned Eric Clapton, Gary moore, Angus Young,

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

17 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-09-25 08:52:56)

SGinCYQX, fellow chordian: this is one of the reasons why it matters, we have now a list of famous, guitar players but this word (famous) is not the right word.
I prefer "famous in what they play.)
But just like you, I am a huge fan of Peter Green, I have almost every single song of Mark Knopfler, and I adore BB King. ATTENTION: if you listen to JJ CALE, you hear Mark Knopfler.
BB inspired a lot of people to play the guitar. How old he might be, (born in 1925) and still active as guitar player. I wish I was like that man. SGinCYQX (where did you get this nick name?) and all chordians: he was voted as the 3th best guitar player in the world, by Rolling Stone magazine:
1/ Jimi Hendrix
2/ Duane Allman and followed by
4) Eric Clapton
5) Robert Johnson
6) Chuck Berry.
You can find this information : google: BB King: Wikipedia.
What kind of guitar you have and what style do you play? I think you are a blues man.
I looked where you live, and this was always one of my dreams: living in Canada.
I really should appreciate if you mail me about New Foundland, and what is needed to move to Canada.

Take a look at this guy - Tommy Emmanuel. Probably the best unknown guitarist I've ever seen/heard.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/665 … _Song.html

You can also go to YouTube, or Spiked Humor and search on his name.

Hey gitaardocphil and the chordie community.

I have to agree with you on Billy Gibbons ZZ-Top. He's probably not the best but impressing as you say live. The band was very impressing as the 3 old men rocked my socks off in probably the best consert I've ever experienced. Guitarists I enjoyed alot thruu the years is Carlos Santana, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia, Malmsteen in his first album, Gary More, Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush) and many more. I also enjoy any blues artists that goes up doing their songs solo.

4gits&counting wrote:

Take a look at this guy - Tommy Emmanuel. Probably the best unknown guitarist I've ever seen/heard.

I'd heard of this guy previously from numerous people. I have to say, after watching a dozen or so of his live performance footage, I am truely impressed with Tommy Emmanuel. He's a fantastic player with technical prowess and personality too. Very refreshing to see a new member of the 'elite' list of guitarists. Just remember though for every single amazing player we actually see or hear there are many others out there just as good if not better than the best of the best. It sure is fun when we find a 'diamond in the rough' like Tommy Emmanuel. Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed it !!!

SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

hi, can i humbly request for the lyrics and chords of the song touch and go by rupert holmes, thank you very much and more power

nmespiritu11, you won't find them here on this forum. But did you look in the "department" ARTISTS and SONGS.
I will see if I can find it.
But in the mean time and starting with the knowledge (can be 100% wrong) that you have that album, TRY TO PLAY ALONG.

4gits&counting wrote:

Maybe unknown where you come from but here in australia he is probably the most respected guitarist, and I personally probably think he is the most skilled (not best or greatest) guitarist in the world. I think Eric clapton was a famous guitarist just because he was british, there are many american guitarists as good as him.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Altex wrote:
4gits&counting wrote:

Maybe unknown where you come from but here in australia he is probably the most respected guitarist, and I personally probably think he is the most skilled (not best or greatest) guitarist in the world. I think Eric clapton was a famous guitarist just because he was british, there are many american guitarists as good as him.

Eric Clapton is famous because he can play, listen to some of his blues stuff. He can play.

Bootlegger.

gitaardocphil wrote:

SGinCYQX, fellow chordian: this is one of the reasons why it matters, we have now a list of famous, guitar players but this word (famous) is not the right word.
I prefer "famous in what they play.)
But just like you, I am a huge fan of Peter Green, I have almost every single song of Mark Knopfler, and I adore BB King. ATTENTION: if you listen to JJ CALE, you hear Mark Knopfler.
BB inspired a lot of people to play the guitar. How old he might be, (born in 1925) and still active as guitar player. I wish I was like that man. SGinCYQX (where did you get this nick name?) and all chordians: he was voted as the 3th best guitar player in the world, by Rolling Stone magazine:
1/ Jimi Hendrix
2/ Duane Allman and followed by
4) Eric Clapton
5) Robert Johnson
6) Chuck Berry.
You can find this information : google: BB King: Wikipedia.
What kind of guitar you have and what style do you play? I think you are a blues man.
I looked where you live, and this was always one of my dreams: living in Canada.
I really should appreciate if you mail me about New Foundland, and what is needed to move to Canada.

Hi Gitaardocphil,

What you say makes sense. Technical ability holds no interest for me. Well, very little. Musicality is what seperates B.B and Jimi from the hordes of shredders in the world. I play mainly the blues, but I love classic rock and I even play heavy metal with my local friends.
My guitar is an Epiphone SG, and my hometown is Gander. The callsign for Gander's airport is CYQX, therefore, "SGinCYQX".

Canada is a fairly easy place to move to, but don't take my word for it. My advice to you is to check this site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/

Newfoundland has a lack of opportunities, I'm afraid. I would head to the mainland, like Toronto or such. Once again, check the site. That's the best idea I can offer.

-Jimi Hendrix.