Topic: Lowering Action on an Acoustic

Seems like something I should be able to handle--thoughts? Pointers?

Re: Lowering Action on an Acoustic

Depends on the guitar and the amount you want/need it lowered.  If it's just the remove a shim from under the saddle, it's usually easy enough.  But, if you need the truss rod tweaked or the saddle shaved at all, it's a little more involved.  Not rocket science but get tips before moving forward would be my advice.

25Frankster wrote:

Seems like something I should be able to handle--thoughts? Pointers?

Don't do it you don't have the tools or the experience, you can screw it up and have to pay to get it right anyways. To lower the action on an acoustic you have to either sand the bottom of your nut and saddle on a level surface like a piece of flat glass with sand paper on it. If you don't you will sand uneven loosing the original radius of the neck. You also have to adjust the truss rod to either relieve or add some tension. Typically you don't have shims under your saddle unless someone put them there to raise the saddle. You also have to know how much to sand down other wise buy a set of nut files, a nut saw and a couple of extra nut and saddle blanks so when you fubar the one on the guitar you have plenty more to get it right. I could tell you to go ahead and do it yourself but when you take it in the shop to get it done right I would not be paying for it the money is still coming out of your pocket not mine. So if your not comfortable or have doubts, get it done by a luither or tech and get it done right. You will be much happier with the results.

Goodluck!

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

I am not interested in messing this thing up!  There is a luthier with a great reputation not 10 minutes from my office--think I'm going to make a call.
Thanx!