Topic: have you noticed?

I play left handed and I recently noticed that the thumb on my right hand is fatter than the one on my left hand maybe due to using my right thumb to oppose fingering? I would like to know if people that have been playing right handed for many years have noticed the same discrepancy? 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: have you noticed?

Sir Phill
cant say i ever noticed your thumbs,but i`ll take you word for it.
you did`nt write this post late on a saturday night by any chance?
(if you get what i mean)     

The King Of Audio Torture

Both of my thumbs are the same size. What I have noticed as a right hander is the Osteoarthritis in my left guitar chord changing hand fingers gives me more pain and grief and less pain in my right hand strumming and finger picking movements.     

Lord Brian. Yes I did write it late Saturday night so it probably didn't make much sense? The thumb on my right hand is about 5 mm thicker than my left. It could be due to the many times I bashed it while I was an apprentice mechanic? But I thought the constant pressure opposing chord fingering over the last 55 years might have squashed it somewhat?

Annwyl Pedr. Sorry to hear about Arthur Itis lol, hope it doesn't bother you too much? I get it in all sorts of strange places...like my eyes! Or my neck. My right hand is getting a little stiff...no snickering at the back of the classroom please! I always think warm olive oil helps.     

Annwyl brawd Piri  you are  right warm olive oil helps.  My in-laws introduced me to it.   The olive itself is rich in vitamin B6 which contribute to the proper function of the nervous system and boost the metabolism. Olives also contain vitamins C, A, and E which all help a variety of functions throughout the body. When I was in Greece staying with my in-laws it took me a while to develop a taste for olives as there are so many different kinds. After a while I found the ones that suited my pallet. Maree’s parents had olive trees and made their own olive oil at home. They also made their own cheese from the milk of goats kept by her step mothers brother in-law. Another thing I liked was they grew their own eating grapes. It was really communal the making of alot of the homemade cooking things. Over summer Maree’s parents kitchen would be full of woman gathering together to make cheese and oil and other things for the whole extended family.

Iechyd da!

Pedr     

Pedr, you've had a very eventful and adventurous life. Long may it continue.     

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-01-11 05:42:29)

Thank you Piri and may you also have many more adventures.

Phill Williams wrote:

...no snickering at the back of the classroom please! I always think warm olive oil helps.

PARTY POOPER! I bet warm olive oil helps! LOL  - I just couldn't resist!     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Whenever I start talking about Olives and Olive Oil with some of my friends who are my age or older the conversation has often ended up going to Popeye and Olive Oyl his girlfriend. People then start talking about tins of Spinach something that Popeye  ate to give him strength. I have eaten spinach but I have never seen it in a tin.     

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." - Wimpy     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Sir Phill
you really opened a can of worms with this post.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Who thought there'd be so many inuendos in my totally innocent enquiry? As for Popeye, Olive Oyl, Bluto ( sometimes known as Brutus!) And not forgetting Wimpy, I can't remember what the baby was called? The cartoons from the 50s were the best. And Lord Brian...I believe it was a tin of spinach not worms, bet they taste the same anyway...lol     

I don't think you even use my thumbs.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

14 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-01-17 00:09:04)

I was thinking or is that finking , finger and thumb could be good rhyming slang for strum.
I was finking about grabbing my arf a dozen string machine and having a finger and thumb. That might confuse things the change of language when ordering a finger and thumb ( Rum) at the bar.

Zurf, the thumb is used, by me anyway, as opposing pressure on the guitar arm when fingering. To most guitarists that would be the right hand but I play left handed so it's my right hand thumb that seems to be wider!

Pete, you certainly shot off at a tangent there brother? I've heard the guitar called an axe (UK spelling) but never a arf dozen string machine. Ann calls my collection dust collectors or skip fillers when I die, I hope to get more pleasure from my babies before that eventuality     

Phill

I just hope my wife Pam doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for them smile

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

But what will really blow your mind is, If i hadn' t told you your chord playing hand has longer fingers would they still be longer!!!!     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Riverdales wrote:

But what will really blow your mind is, If i hadn' t told you your chord playing hand has longer fingers would they still be longer!!!!

I knew that was a wind up but I compared them anyway. Both hands matched!