1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-11-20 03:14:51)

Topic: Battle's Been Won

While on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan for the NZSAS, Lance Corporal Leon Smith was killed in action on 28 September 2011. Leon was 33 years old and a son of a friend of mine. He was a very calm and  brave in every facet of his life. At his funeral someone told me, in order to be able to handle the horrors of war you have  to believe the battles  been won before it begins. He also said most of the brave men and woman that fought in wars on all sides have tended to believe in a higher power leading them on. Anyway for years the word’s ‘Battles Been Won” have stuck in my head. About four or five years ago I wrote these lyrics thinking about Leon and threw them in the draw of my desk. About four or five months back I was cleaning out my desk and found them again so I decided to quickly record it on my cell phone.  Going through my Computer files early this morning I found the phone recording and decided to put it on Soundcloud. I played the bass bits using the E and A strings  on my guitar. This is how I imagine people like Leon might think about being a soldier.   https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/battles-been-won

Battle's Been Won 

I had a lot battles in my life.

I’ve seen my fair share of strife.

After the battle has been won.

I tell you the devil he has been done.

It takes faith.

And it takes belief to find that he doesn’t rule the world.

Don’t be deceived the battles won.

Don’t let the devil think that you’ve been done.

Oh, the battle has been won.

It has been won.

It has been won.

By the one.

By the one that I believe in.

On we go to war and they try to put us on the floor.

They try to run us all down.

The many clowns that are running around.

But the battles been won.

But the battles been won.

The battles been won.

The battles been won.

It's been done.

We don’t want the devil to overcome.

We need the higher one to help us win.

It's been done.

It's been done.

The battles been won.

The battles been won.

The battles been won.

Re: Battle's Been Won

I like that that has something there, I was throwing around some opening somber chords (a minor 123 on first and second fret) with a bit more flow than stop and go and more "Dead South" beat,  but I like it. The Good vs. Evil is what intrigues me, nice man. Carry on!     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Thank you Riverdales for taking the time to have a listen and your interesting comments.     

Great words there Pete. My wi fi is playing up, it always does when it's raining so I couldn't get your video. I'll try again later.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

thats a nice tribute to lance corporal Leon Smith.     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Good one Peale !  Sounds so much like Tom Waite !!   Exceptionally nice tribute.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-11-21 07:07:32)

Thank you  Phill, Mojo and Jim for your feedback. Leon was an exceptional young man. Just incase people are interested I will attach a link to a Wikipedia article on Leon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Kristopher_Smith

Good day! Quite interesting to listen to.