Topic: How do I start learning lead solos ?

Hi all

I am a proficient acoustic player and am looking to transfer my learnings to an electric, with the aim of looking to learn lead solos for instrumental breaks in songs.

Has anyone got any sound advice for getting started here?

When you see guitarists soloing, it looks like they are playing almost intuitively... that is what I want to achieve.... the question is how?

Thanks guys...

Jason

Re: How do I start learning lead solos ?

Learn scales. Inside out! If you don't know your scales then you will not know what notes fit where.
Consequently I cannot play long improvised scales. sad

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Learn scales. Inside out! If you don't know your scales then you will not know what notes fit where.

Because this is so true, it's worth quoting again.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi jerome.oneil

Many thanks for helping out here....

Scales it is then, cool.  Okay, sorry to ask, but how may I start with this. Which ones first, where can i see them etc etc.... any ideas?

Cheers

Jason

jersey wrote:

Hi jerome.oneil

Scales it is then, cool.  Okay, sorry to ask, but how may I start with this. Which ones first, where can i see them etc etc.... any ideas?

Cheers

Jason

Am and Em and pentatonic scales I believe.
I could be wrong though.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

jersey wrote:

Hi all

I am a proficient acoustic player and am looking to transfer my learnings to an electric, with the aim of looking to learn lead solos for instrumental breaks in songs.

Has anyone got any sound advice for getting started here?

When you see guitarists soloing, it looks like they are playing almost intuitively... that is what I want to achieve.... the question is how?

Thanks guys...

Jason

Hello Jason,
I just put a songbook together that has tons of scales and the sort. Here's the link;

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … gid=109008

Have fun,
SoutPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Great advice on the scales! Learn scales and then think in terms of phrasing. Sing a verse...then play it. Ask a question then answer it...  Listen to a lot of the blues players and you'll hear the guitar phrasing and repeating ... hope this makes sense...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jersey wrote:

Hi jerome.oneil

Cheers

Jason

People are going to tell you to learn a scale in a particular key.  I'm not.   There are 12 possible scales within the chromatic scale for any mode.  Then you have your pentatonics and other kinds of scales as well.  That's a whole lot to learn if you think of it in terms of key.   

The good news is that all of those scales break down into a small number of patterns on the fretboard.  There are five major and minor scale patterns, and likewise five major and minor pentatonic patterns.   Those are the patterns I'd learn first.

Learn one minor pentatonic pattern, and you can play minor pentatonics in 12 different minor keys.  Learn one major pentatonic scale, and you can play pentatonics in 12 different major keys.   Same with the major and minor scale patterns.  Learn one, and you can play in any key.    It makes it much simpler to learn to play scales, because you can simply ask "What key are we in?" and play.   The more patterns you learn (There are 5 pentatonic patterns, for example) the more options you will have on the fretboard.

I play scales every day.  You should, too.  More accurately, I practice scale patterns every day.

Summary:  The practical application of scales is not in the key you want to play in, but the scale pattern you put to the neck of your instrument.

Here are the five minor pentatonic patterns.  Note that this is not the "A minor pentatonic pattern."  It's only A if you start on A.  If you start it on B, then it's B minor, etc.

http://www.tonart.com/Main/ScaleLessons … terns.html

Minor pentatonics are good scales to start on, as they are easy to learn, and immediately useful.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

OK at the risk of sounding obsessed with 'Louie Louie' this is a good starters solo. It's just 5th 7th and 8th fret. Get your fingers so your first covers the 5th fret, your second does the 6th (not used) and your ring finger does the 7th fret and your pinkie does the 8th (notice this is just the thinest strings so it won't have to stretch like the bigger fingers. The trick is to keep practising until it's automatic and your fingers drop across the whole fret fast. You see a 5 on the tab and blam down goes your first finger and off come the rest etc.

Off to practice this myself as I'm still pretty slow...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Fab, thanks cytania..... good luck with the practice !