Topic: Guitar buzz

Recently my guitar stand was knocked and my Ibanez Acoustic guitar was knocked over on its face. A string broke but the problem there is now a very loud buzzing sound coming from the Nut area when played the first few frets and open string. Any suggestions on how to fix it? (I have a dual action adjusting thing inside the guitar if that helps...i have no idea what it means or does)

Re: Guitar buzz

It sounds like to me that when it fell that the string might have cut a deeper notch in the nut therefore driving it closer to the fret board. Try replacing the nut. This will probably be the cheapest fix.

Eddie

yep replacing the nutt is probably the best thing to do but for short term you can get a small bit of paper or thin card and put that on the nut where the string goes ( letting the string rest on the paper. That will stop the buzz. But make sure it is on on that string and no others.

Alternatively, if you have very light weight gauge strings on, you could go up a gauge, that might cure it. My mate tried that with his Fender acoustic and it solved his buzzing but if he wants to go back to light gauge or medium gauge he will go back to getting a buzz.

This is short term solution, best get a nutt.

they are cheap

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

This sounds like a question for, doo,doo-doo-doo, ba-da-dip-dipity-doop, the all knowing about guitar fixin', BOOTLEGER

Good suggestions from previous posters, I, for what it's worth, agree.(nut)

Give everything but up.

If the impact of the fall was enough to break a string that presents any possibility really. Interesting that a string broke. I would imagine that a crack in the headstock or the nut may show with closer examination. A broken trussrod would be the worst case scenario. One cause of the buzz could simply be a loose tuner, or tuner button. I would remove the strings, and tap firmly with fingertip checking for loose parts or cracks in the wood. The nut may simply need to be re-glued. The double action trussrod is a metal rod with an "L" shape at the guitar body and a threaded nut most commonly placed under a cover plate on the head stock. Adjustment of the tension is best made in a warm, humidified environment with GRADUAL increments over extended an period of time. Tightening of the tension will render the fingerboard flatter, effectively lowering the action. Loosening will adjust what's known as "relief", and is a subject of individual preference. If the rod is broken the fingerboard must removed to replace it. The part can be made at any machine shop or your local guitar parts in Istanbul? Best to use a hot animal hide glue for any aspect of this repair.

Good Luck!