1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-12-28 05:47:54)

Topic: Songs Used To Advertise On TV

Here in the US, and example would be "Give A Little Bit", a song by Supertramp used for Amazon and a horribly sung cover of a tune by Lindsey Buckingham called "Holiday Road" which is being played ad nauseam. I think I know how this works - the artist gets paid some huge amount for the rights to use his work for a certain time, right? Even if the song is covered with different words (as the Buckingham tune is), but does he still get royalties, or are they suspended until such time as the usage of the tune  by the advertiser runs out?

How is it in the UK? New Zealand? Australia? Canada?  Do they also get paid for a  time-limit "contract" and what's the royalty system like?

Just throwing this one out for discussion if you are so inclined.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-12-29 09:23:55)

Re: Songs Used To Advertise On TV

Bill an interesting subject Advertising and music. It is a minefield full of legal traps.
A New Zealand political party has been ordered to pay more than $400,000 to US rapper Eminem for using music similar to his 2002 hit "Lose Yourself" in a television commercial to help win a national election.   The National Party used the song 186 times during the campaign before taking the ad off the air, the court said,
The National Party purchased the track, titled ‘Eminem Esque’ from a company called Beatbox, who had obtained the licence from a music library called Labrador. The National Party believed that they had gone through the right process.
The National Party purchased the song  which was licensed with one of New Zealand’s main industry copyright bodies, the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society
Legally they had got it wrong but looking at it I can see how you could be caught out through not knowing. 
Copyright and royalties is very  complex it is a minefield to walk through.
According to the Court, there is an infringement due to the fact that the composer of  “Eminem Esque” was aware of the original track including bearing in mind the name of the latter song. In this case the purchaser got punished not the composer who copied Enimem
The Court order $412,896 considering the fact that the infringement happened for a limited period of time.

What can we take from this case?
The hard thing is  a company or person  paying for an advertisement can become liable for music content which they  are unaware  of.  Lawyers and legal situations benifit who???? This prominent intellectual property case is likely to have implications in many jurisdictions.
. Copyright protection automatically exists from when the work is created, and does not require registration.
In answer to your question Bill, How is it in the UK? New Zealand? Australia? Canada?  Do they also get paid for a  time-limit "contract" and what's the royalty system like?
Here in New Zealand   the right payments,  for the broadcast, of  music in an advertisement vary..  Types of licensing contracts can include: a flat fee for a defined period of usage,  or for each time the advertisement  is broadcasted.

Hi Bill & Peatle ... we have fairly similar arrangements in Canada. There's a regulatory body from which an entity has to purchase an annual licensing agreement, to use copyright music. This even applies to churches using hymn books for congregational singing! If a store or fitness club wishes to play music over their internal PA system, they just can't plug an MP3 player in and let it go; they have to get a license. This body ensures that royalties are paid to copyright holders, and I for one think it's a good arrangement.

For advertising campaigns, the advertiser needs to make direct arrangements with an artist's agency to use a song for a specific period, and a contract price / term is arranged. We all remember how Microsoft paid The Rolling Stones $3,000,000 to use their song "Start Me Up" when they launched Windows '95.

I'm reminded of this clip with Inspector Clousseau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnlIWpZSPXU

HAHAHAHHA
Clousseau - hysterical !!!

Love it  - thanks for sharing

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke