Topic: BUILDING YOUR OWN "ELECTRIC" GUITAR

There are now a lot of members, and daily visitors. Yesterday, I was talking with 1 of my 2 best friends, and he plays bass in a tribute band, like a lot do, "the shadows", a few gigs a year, and except for the shadows, some CCR.
He used to have a Fender Precision Bass, but a mutual acquittance makes, or fabricates his own guitars.
My friend is playing now, on a 4 string bass made by that "luthier".
So, I dream since years of making a guitar, it will be physically almost impossible, but I really love to.
MORE: he can make a 100% copy, of a PRS dragon, or a 10.000$ guitar, and you pay less than half the price, his job is amongst others learning students to build a guitar.
ARE THERE "CHORDIANS" who play an home made guitar,followed by some questions:

- If you have a guitar, build for YOU, is the sound better? I refuse to talk about value, collector value, but having that guitar, and comparing it MONTHS after you own YOUR guitar (because of the still present happiness, owning a "foryoumadeguitar") compared with a similar you had before, let's say, a FENDER STRAT, a GIBSON LES PAUL, A PRS. Today the fashion is, when you enter a small workshop, of a luthier, the PRS shape, and the Gibson shape. We are probably all aware that just making guitars will jill the luthier financially.
- What will be your dream guitar, the shape: GIBSON, FENDER, PRS?
- What kind of wood can be used.
STUPID: can you make an alectric guitar using wood from an oak tree (NOT FOR ACOUSTIC GUITARS)? Probably you have to sit down to play that instrument, but what about the PHYSICS? the sound produced by touching the strings, going over your pick ups to your amp. BETTER: the wood you cannot use..
- also, you have wood fibers, squeezed together, resulting in a nice piece of wood.
- For the body of YOUR handmade E-guitar, what about Maple, Christmas tree wood, 100% is used in this hypothetical subject, so a kind of PRS, just using: oak, mahagony, spruce (most used for acoustic tops, but hers entirely used for electric, as all the woods I mention) 100% walnut body, 100% cedar body, 100% wood from a cherry tree, or apple tree.
Light wood will of course sound better, but I am talking about non usual used wood.(I also just read an article about Patrick Eggle Guitars).
- Poplar, Peach tree, in fact all kinds of fruit trees.
- another point of discussion is for instance: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN the Rosewood, fom Brazil, India, Madagascar. I was told that in so called "blind" studies, nobody could hear the difference between Brazilian Rosewood and Indian Rosewood.

I wanted to hear some more information, concerning 20-30 different kinds of trees.
PICK UPS
- there are a lot of different brands, for me one of the best is Lindy Fralin, beautiful, more than loud enough, and very good quality and output.
NECK, I would use exactly the same wood as the body.

So again a long email, containing stuff to discuss, and I'll end with where you can learn to build your own guitar (do I hear IKEA?), starting as a "virgin" what do I need.
I read in a guitar magazine (that's for you upyerkilt) that I think in Scotland, you have tis opportunity. It's like a B&B, you eat there, you sleep there, you are able to admire Scotland, and the participants are very limited (not more than 5, for the "personal approach"), they have all the material you need, like a carpenter, so it's a kind of work-holiday, you choose the model, the wood, what you expect and what you want to build.)
I was so lucky that there are places indeed: holiday combined with your passion, not cheap, and maybe you have the honour to have created the worst guitar on the planet, but at least you did it.
WHO CAN HELP ME HERE, places, material.
BOOT: do you organise workshops to fabricate your own guitar?
Greetings to all of you

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BUILDING YOUR OWN "ELECTRIC" GUITAR

BOOT: do you organise workshops to fabricate your own guitar?

Yes & no, I do all my work with hand tools and small shop power tools. I also buy bodies & necks that are already made and assemble them. As you know I am a hobby builder so I do repairs to fund my hobby.

Bootlegger.

Ah dear boot, I was convinced you've been disappeared to Alaska.
That "preconstructed" bodies and "necks" , what is the type of body-wood you use, same for the neck.
I wrote about that guy in Scotland, but to make your own guitar out of a stash of wood, will take longer than a week. You have a guitar body, a PRS like, what is your way of treating the body?
To put a layer around: nitrocellulose? and it will take 2 days before it is dry?.
Repairs do they include changing humbuckers?
If I want: is it possible to follow a kind of "course" to learn, or you do this behind close doors?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

WHERE WOULD I BUY A TOP QUALITY 12 STRING NECK

I can see alot of potential advantages to commisioning a custom guitar like being able to specify options that the maker you are emulating does not offer. Being able to specify control placing and eliminate pick guards or f-holes. Of course there's always the dread possibility that I'd create a neither fish nor fowl; a halfway guitar that doesn't really add up, nightmare...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

I can see alot of potential advantages to commisioning a custom guitar like being able to specify options that the maker you are emulating does not offer. Being able to specify control placing and eliminate pick guards or f-holes. Of course there's always the dread possibility that I'd create a neither fish nor fowl; a halfway guitar that doesn't really add up, nightmare...

Cytania,

You are correct in regards to the options you can have built into a custom guitar. The only difference besides price of a custom/semi custom guitar and say the following brands Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc is the parts you choose. I built about 95% strat copies, swamp ash, black korina or alder body wood with either rosewood/maple or ebony/maple necks.  The pickup configuration of either s-s-s or h x h and the wiring and or pots of my choice, some with pick guard some with out. So basically it is a strat built to my taste and paint/dye finish options. They aren't much different than the american Fender strats you can buy in a music store. With a custom guitar you choose any wood of good tonal quality and the options you want. It is still an electric guitar and up to the player's abilities to make it sound good. As far as resale value you'll never get back your initial investment only in pleasure not cash.

Bootlegger.

happy hopper wrote:

WHERE WOULD I BUY A TOP QUALITY 12 STRING NECK

You can have a bolt on neck  made from www.warmoth.com it will probley cost in between $300.00 to $ 600.00 american email them they will give you a quotation.

Bootlegger.

"WHERE WOULD I BUY A TOP QUALITY 12 STRING NECK"

Don't - just make your own Cigar box Guitar ! You can mike it up and everything for a few quid. Rough and ready, raw and gutsy. There's even instructions on how to wind your own pick-ups.

See http://cigarboxguitars.com/workshops/Ho … _A_CBG.php

"So I went ahead and made me a guitar. I got me a cigar box, I cut me a round hole in the middle of it, take me a little piece of plank, nailed it onto that cigar box, and I got me some screen wire and I made me a bridge back there and raised it up high enough that it would sound inside that little box, and got me a tune out of it. I kept my tune and I played from then on."

-Lightnin' Hopkins

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Boot, I am always amazed about your knowledge, skill and love for music (I had a few bad days earlier this week). But building guitars, is that your hobby, passion, or job.
About a 12-string guitar, sounds beautiful, but the fingertips 15 minutes later??!!!
About the PRS EG model, I think I told you that I have the 3 different kinds.
S-S-S  (Lindy Fralin domino pick-ups) a S-S-H, and a H-S-H. I don't find them again on eBay.
You gave me/us, very interesting sites.
But if I should ask you to build a guitar, having enough money, what should you propose, knowing that I adore PRS, I mean
- wood used for the body (talking about great wood, because there are s many different woods)
WHAT is your preferred wood? giving the best sound.
- wood used for the neck (I have small hands, and a telecaster neck is not my thing, even having a 1952 reissue, and adoring the sound). Is the wood used for the neck (a lot of rosewood is used) important for the sound, or adding something extra talking of sound.
- Electronics: what are your top humbuckers, or coils you use.
An easy answer can be to pick the wood, neck and electronics myself, and it is a question, giving you the opportunity to use the best (example: price range between 2000 --> 5000$) material, and the information that I love PRS, having an easy to play neck.
I am really very interested, what you would "create" knowing this information, and telling that you are 100% free to construct one.
Thanks a lot Boot.

Phil,

I will answer you as follows 1,2 ect.

1. Building guitars is my passionate hobby. I really love doing it I don't want it to become a job.
2. The wood choice would depend on what type of pickups you are going to use. Single coil I would use swamp ash body with a rosewood/maple neck. Humbuckers I would use a mahogany body with a flame or quilted maple top and ebony/mahogany neck or ebony/maple.  The maple tops would allow to dye it any color and that makes the grain pop. The neck wood combos are standard and they have worked for a long time. The tonal qualities match with the body woods.
3. The pickups once again depends on the sound your going for. Single coil for swamp ash and maple/mahogany for humbuckers. My choices for single coils are Fender texas specials, or Rio grande brand. Humbuckers my choice would be Rockfield SWC's or SWV's and Rio grande BBQ specials also EMG active pickups. Depending on what style of music I make the guitar for.
4. If you were going to spend that amount of money I would get on the waiting list for a Mc Naught or Myka guitar. It will be a long time before I would be able to do that for myself and the investment would be worth it. I really like the strat style body shape. The PRS is basically a strat/lp hybrid body (in my opionion) the best of both worlds.
5. I finished my swamp ash strat then ran low on money to finish my flame black korina strat but am going to start working on it in about a week.

Bootlegger.

BOOT, my friend this IS THE FINAL Q&A.
You are right about preparing all those items, do you sometimes the whole 9 yards making your own body and neck? If so, it is however a big investment to have machines to cut the wood in he correct shape, and same for the neck. I was talking with my luthier, he had to repair a guitar
a Gibson hummingbird, being the highest bidder on eBay, while transportation: the neck was bending, cracked. Why: because of a kind of stupidity: the strings where still tuned instead of being removed, or at least tune it almost very low, as far as you can go. It was a really good price. It was insured, but starting this for a crack?, this is not my style. It seems very attractive to get some super glue, the best was however: professional repair.
He build guitars too, having "blueprints" for a lot of guitars. You look around; or you propose something like I want to have a bod a circle, a $ shaped body, you get it. It goes from his place to a carpenter, neck too and it returns perfect, even with holes in it. I remember that we talked about guitars, I asked him the question: what about using only single coils? 6 single coils, 2 by 2 in the hole in the guitar.
I really thank you all for advises.
NO HALLOWEEN HANGOVERS ???

Bootlegger, I desperately need your opinion, or anyone who wants to chime in. I love to assemble Fender Tele's, about 90% Fender parts and then can't part with them, which is a whole other problem.  I prefer the USA Fender body but love the Japanese necks, which wont fit in the heel pocket without filing about 1/16 or so off the sides of the neck heel, which kills me to do to that beautiful finish , would you try and enlarge the neck pocket of the body instead ? I don't usually sell them , but still hate to devalue either part. ..Thanks, FiveO

Do not cut your neck pocket you need a tight fit between the neck & the body. Sand your neck to fit your neck pocket snug. You are not devaluating your guitar because once you took it apart and mixed the parts it was worth less than it was as an original.  Sanding versus using a file will allow you more control on what you take off because you can file in an angle. Place your sand paper on a flat surface and run your neck along the grain of the wood. This will ensure even removal of material on both sides of the neck.

Bootlegger.

Thanks, my friend, you make an excellant point, about mixing of the parts, I did it like you suggested on my last one, but was just reluctant to sand on this one, at least now I feel better about it, Thanks again, its always a pleasure talking with ya,...FiveO