Topic: Kiwi Folk Singer and writer Derek Lind.

Hello from the South end of Chordie Land.
I thought it would be good to introduce a little known favourite New Zealand Folk singer and songwriter to you all out in the Chordie-verse. His name is Derek Lind a not so well known person here and around the world. He is a favourite of mine I will attach a link of him doing a song of his at a gig earlier this year.
https://youtu.be/5gnX8c35jwU

Re: Kiwi Folk Singer and writer Derek Lind.

Listened to and watched this beautiful tune, Pete. Also subscribed and left some words for Derek.

Thanks for the link!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-11-08 01:12:43)

Thank you Bill, Derek's  wife died a short while back and I think music and his strong faith has helped him with the grieving process.
Another song you might like of his on youtube is What Came Natural.

He is good reminds me of our country western singers.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Cheers Dino he has that folk country style of pulling different threads together to tell one story.

Nice Peatle, hadnt heard of him before, thanks for sharing.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Very good indeed! He reminds me of our folk / country / singer / songwriter Gordon Lightfoot in a lot of ways ... and that's a BIG compliment.

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-11-09 01:02:32)

Tenement  to compare Derek to Gordon Lightfoot is a Big compliment he would be honored to be in such company. Derek style has been described as from the Texas school of song writing. I am not sure what that is. I know Derek has been influenced by American Folk and Country and Western story telling. He does it in a Kiwi way.  I will attach another older video of a song I like of Derek's preformed live called What Came Naturally.
https://youtu.be/IRcGxhsy0ag

It's always great to see musicians from all over the world, making their mark in new yet familiar ways.

By the way, I'm a huge NBA basketball fan, and your guy Steven Adams is an adrenaline rush to watch. The big man (7'0" / 255 lbs) is amazingly athletic, and his savvy with the media is equally enjoyable to watch. I'm hoping our one Canadian NBA team (the Toronto Raptors) can get a guy of his caliber in the ranks.

Steve is a great roll model for youngester here in NZ. He comes from a family of 18 kids. When he was 13 years old his father died he went of the rails briefly, until his older brother Warren took him in and help put him back on track. His sister Valerie Adams is a Double Gold medal Olympic shotput champion.
Steve is the highest paid Kiwi  sportsperson so far. He has provided scholarships to help disadvantage youth to get educated and develop their sporting potential. With him playing NBA Basketball kiwi are starting to get very interested in Basketball. Our national game is Rugby Union.

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-09 10:44:04)

For those that don't who he is, here's an awesome pic of him in action. I love the countdown implied here: 3 - 2 - 1 - swat!!! I can imagine hearing sports commentator Jack Armstrong:

"Git dat gawbidge outta heah!"

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-976d112912ebb2c8fcd15c4a6d23bef4.jpg

Thanks for sharing Pete. Good songs tell stories, great songs like Derek's paint pictures.  His style reminds me of Townes Van Zandt. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed listening. I'm going back to check out some more of his stuff.Please tell Derek he has at least one fan on the other side of the planet.

Thick as two short planks

Thank you all of you for taking the time to give Derek a listen. Having people from outside NZ like his music would make him happy.