Topic: Bands That Stuck It Out

My friend and I were racking our brains the other day trying to come up with the name of some bands using the following criteria:

- Still together today (band members that inadvertently died and then replaced are OK)
- Formed their band prior to 1990
- Still putting out relevant music for today's music tastes, at least something in the last 10 years
- Leave out the smaller bands that aren't as mainstream
- Stick to rock, punk, alternative, etc no hip-hop, country, new age

We came to find we didn't have too many.  The best band we had was U2.  Aerosmith was a close second.  Anyone else have some ideas?

Re: Bands That Stuck It Out

yep aerosmith is truelly one of the great survivors of rock for going that long 1967? 68? I have their first album and apart from the production on it, the album is timeless.

also there is

Rolling stones ( early 60's)
ac/dc  ( early - mid 70's)
the who ( early 60's) ( even though there are only two left)
stiff little fingers ( (1977)
rem ( early 80's)
motorhead
red hot chili peppers (early 80's)
eric clapton ( mid 60's)

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Didn't AC/DC switch bassists somewhere along the way? And again with the bassist but I also think the Stones' bassist retired or quit in the 90's.

I found this a lot more challenging given the fact that the only way the original band can still be considered is if they are still together or parted by death (or medical reasons in the case of REM).

REM, the Who and Red Hot Chili Peppers are great pulls by the way.

aaahhh,
only allowed to be replaced if died?
then I have to take away SLF, Stones,
chili peppers guitarist left but is back ith them, ac/dc changed their drummer too and he was away for years but he is back wit hthem as far as i know and also the original bassist played with them a few years ago when i went to see them.

this is a harder question than I originally thought.

I'm pretty sure ZZ Top still has the original members, but I might be wrong

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

How about Peter, Paul and Mary who have been together since 1961 or are they discounted as they never had a regular bass and drummer.

Just a thought,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

We were trying to do it without looking on the net but I had to look up ZZ Top since you mentioned it.  I mentioned it but my buddy was adamant one of them died, but just checked and he's alive and kickin and they're all still touring.  Good one etc_04.

Peter Paul and Mary is a good one too Roger.  I think they would have an "asterisk" next to them because of the drummer and bassist but ultimately I would say yes since they're the main draw and are considered a trio. 

It did turn out to be a harder question after eliminating a few, didn't it? smile  Our whole thing was to see who actually had the chemistry to stick together without egos, drugs, fame, etc. getting in the way. It was pretty interesting going through them all.  Thanks for your input on this everyone!

Well, fellow chordian, I will be 52 years YOUNG on December 7th, and the very same question popped up, not know, but already years.
I hope to be right that reunions are excluded.
I think that we should be able to find a lot more bands, "lost glories", but still on the road to live the life they always had.
- PINK FLOYD SHOULD BE IN THAT LIST TOO, they lost Syd Barrett, and later on Roger Waters left the group, but if you mail me: bad answer: see the Stones= 3 left from the original line up.
There is almost no group in the original line up EXCEPT 1, yes ONE group: ZZ TOP. They started with 3, and they still play with 3 SINCE 1969!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love those guys, especially, GIBBONS & HILL, who have Santa Claus faces, but when I hear the drummer's name, I still have to laugh, already for years. His name is beard, but he hasn't one and Gibbons & Hill, well.. I am wondering if the length of their beards is not affecting their play, that the touch a hear in stead of a string.

The longest running band should be STATUS QUO, they started in 1962!! and except for some changes, you can tell that the HOT SHOTS, are still playing. RICK PARFITT & FRANCIS ROSSI.
THEY ARE 45 years active, amazing, almost unbelievable.

FACT: the AC/DC brothers YOUNG started forming a Group ( Angus and Malcolm Young ), but Have you heard about the "EASYBEATS"with their smash hit: "Friday on my mind", and "hello, I love you, was found by George YOUNG, yes the older brother, with a guy named VANDA (originally from the Netherlands, real name VANDENBERGH).
Before they became very popular, they even had the second place, in albums sold in the USA, and I think they sold now about 200.000.000 records. They had different line ups, one of the better was with Bon Scott (+1980) In some cultures, "AC/DC" is a slang term for bisexuality;
Also some religious figures have suggested that the name stands for "Anti-Christ/Devil's Child(ren)", "Anti-Christ/Devil Christ", and "After Christ/Devil Comes".
You can probably add THE WHO, again a group having PETE TOWNSHEND and ROGER DALTREY, starting in 1964.
If you DON'T COUNT the periods of NON-ACTIVITY, they are playing about 43 years.
I hope this was helpful, and I like always to add, mostly "not knowed facts".
I LOVE THIS QUESTION

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

sorry Doc.
BUT
It might be a close call with Status quo and the stones. The stones formed in 1962. still three original mambers which is better than status quo achieved since they split in the early 80's then reformed with only two original members.

The rolling stones are noted as the longest band going today, so they must beat quo
http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/the-rolling-stones

Ken

More difficult than I thought it would be but heres my contribution

Green day started 1987. Produced indie records from 1989 until 1994 Dookie was a mainstream success. Three core members in place in 1990

Radiohead formed 1986 - all original members working on new album.

I would take Clapton off the list, he's been a member of several bands

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix