Re: Backyard Gathering 2015 - Chordie Friends

Wish I could. It is a bit too far to drive. Hope it goes well though.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

311 from Boston.

307 miles from Harrisburg, Pa.

Nahhh. Not that far. smile

unclejoesband wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

311 from Boston.

UJB I thought you were going too have aa members event how is that going or is it off?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

unclejoesband wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

311 from Boston.

560 miles for me.  Heading out about 5 am Friday. It'll be nice to see Jim, Amy and Roger again and get a chance to meet and do a little pickin' with Joe. My knee is doing well and I'm hoping my sciatica doesn't cause problems during the drive.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

dino48 wrote:

UJB I thought you were going too have a members event how is that going or is it off?

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27684

At this point I have 8 confirmed, 2 probable and 2 maybe. 4 are out of town and 4 are local from the confirmed category. There will be a few other locals coming just to socialize as well.

I figured I would bring that thread back to the top after this weekend in NY.

Glad to hear you arrived safely, Roger, and I'm sure that the Walls are making you feel very much at home. Have a great time everybody!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I think we've all been a bit excessively tired. Jim's been working non-stop then we've been working on fixing up the porch in the evenings.  Roger had nearly 24 hours in travel time. However, I think we may have all started to catch up on our sleep a bit.  Roger was a great help to Jim last night with laying down some deck boards - and he sang a few songs for me while I was working. I'm hoping we can get some solid guitar time in tonight!  Then tomorrow - all the last minute shopping and party prep! 

Ya'll are missing out on meeting a wonderful person.  My girls even say that they'd like Roger to come back to visit again and he's only been here a couple days so far. I have to agree with them.  Good conversations as well.  All good stuff.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

That glow in the sky is me blushing....

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

84 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-15 06:04:21)

Well, quit blushin' and start playin 'n singin',  dagnabbit ! (Our own Amy said that, so it ain't cussin').

Anyway, here it is almost 2 am on the day I get to see y'all on a live stream and I'm very excited about it. Multiply me times the number of our members we never hear from and who are lurkers (come out, come out wherever ya are), and you'll get some idea what a grand show this will be.

Hell, my toes are curlin' so hard from excitement that I'm doin' my Kegels without even realizin' it. smile smile smile

All kidding aside, I want y'all to have a wonderful time, and throw a drink our way, won'tcha?

Your Number One Fans

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I'll be heading out in about an hour. I'll see you folks around noon. smile

Bragger. tongue

Just kidding! You have a great time, Joe!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

So far... DE showed up a day early, so we've had a fair amount of picking and strumming already.  I did grab some recordings which I'll need to normalize and cut a lot of chit chat out of before they go online some time (probably next week or the week after).  Rogers already found himself some interesting things to photograph aside from the strange American's he's staying with. 

I have to get going here soon as I've got a couple pork butts to get over some heat!

Sounds like you are having a good time and very busy,if I ever come I can bring some Tri-tip packed in dry ice,I remember  you seemed too like it when you were in L.A.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tell DE and Roger not to stay close to the heat for TOO long, Amy. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

90 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-15 20:19:03)

Dear Amy and Jim (I'm not sure that's your husband's name, but anyway)

I am sure I speak for the whole Chordie family when I say thanks, you two, for putting together
your backyard fest and providing a great time for all of those who could make it there.

Having put together one of these [not a CHORDIE FEST] before, both Dondra and I know it ain't easy and you have the added responsibility of a little one to take care of.

So yeah, I can see why you love the guy you're married to and I wish I could be there to meet the both of you.

Have a great time

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

mekidsmom wrote:

I have to get going here soon as I've got a couple pork butts to get over some heat!

I don't recall you mentioning there would be hot butts before...  You might have changed some minds of folks who stayed home.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

oh yeah, you all totally missed the smoking butts

Ok, so for anyone that missed it - the live feed was actually recorded by the google guru minions and now just looks like a video uploaded to youtube - so if you feel like pretending you're at the gathering (even though it's not going on right now), you can sit back and watch it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXXQbvP6Sw 

At some point, I might edit it to make it .... um... more view able in small increments instead of nearly a 2 hour video!  The sound sucks from what I can tell.  Apparently laptop microphones are not made for broadcasting musical events with multiple things going on and vehicles driving by (or nearby firemen getting married).  But... whatever - Had ya been here, you would have heard it all in TRUE stereo, live, and even been able to join in!  wink

It was a great time!  Thank you to UJB for all the homemade goodies!  We'll be snacking for a while.  I'll be kicking Jim's butt to get him to learn a few of those songs from your book!  DE drove quite a way with knee and back issues - that there is awesome! One whole pork butt was worth being able to hear him play just one song live and I had the pleasure of many!  My own Dad was here, right in the middle and learned how to play "picker's circle" style.  I think he even liked it!  smile  Way less pressure than being the only guy with a guitar in hand. Roger, of course, is still here stealing wifi. wink I'll tell ya what, this guy knows a lot about guitars but he can SING too! smile  We'll be heading out to the beach and falls and Adirondacks this week.  Fun stuff in store!  -- We had a few family members come out to listen as well.  Several friends didn't make it - but - that's ok, less people not playing guitar means more time for ME to enjoy playing and not playing hostess quite as often.  I did get photos that'll go up on the net somewhere at some point in time ... and I even did turn my recorder on a few times, so I"ll get some of those files up eventually. 

Right now, I'm T I R E D - DE showed up Thursday night and we've all been going nearly non-stop since then.  It's been AWESOME!  Smoking Butts, Cream Soda, Rock Island Line, Beer, Salt Taters, Midgets, "Guano" Man, Evan Williams, singed leaves and grass, Corn on the cob, Hoffman hotdogs, The Monkey and the Engineer, tater salad, jello, mac salad, Leaving on a Jet Plane ...

A lot.  It was a lot.  A lot of awesomeness.  smile  THANK YOU to those that came and joined in.  We ARE going to do this again!  Photos and music to come soon...

(ps - Bill - you had so many different posts going on here, I couldn't keep up!  smile  I don't think anyone but you ended up with a hangover, we're all just a bit tired.  LOL)

Just watching the video now. Sounds like you all had a great time! Well done Amy, Jim and family for hosting - it's a lot of hard work, but it has to be done, sometimes!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

So tired I screwed that up... it shouldn't read "Guano Man" but rather... "hiney man"  hee hee - watch the video, you'll understand a little more - maybe.  wink

Thank you Amy for letting us be a part of your get together.

It's nice to be able to put a face to some of the names.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Ol Billy-Bob (me) kinda hogged all the message space, didn't I? I'm sorry about that. It looked like some of you did get my messages and I hope that those which did make it where taken in the spirit intended - just to say hello - and kid around a bit.

And Mr. unclejoesband?

As delicious as those cookies looked, I'd still rather take my chances with the bowling ball.

LOL!!!!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

And Mr. unclejoesband?

As delicious as those cookies looked, I'd still rather take my chances with the bowling ball.

LOL!!!!

Bill

Well you didn't miss much. It was my first attempt at making them. I took a couple shortcuts and quite honestly, I thought they were pretty bad. So the bowling ball is probably a better choice. smile  Mekidskids seemed to love them though so I left them all there instead of bringing them home to give to the chickens.

So............. a BIG THANK YOU has to go out to Jim and Amy for pulling some cyber-friends together for a wonderful time. They were terrific hosts and did everything they could to help make the new guy on the board feel right at home. I'm looking forward to returning the hospitality in October when they come to visit.

Dirty Ed has a bottomless pit of a repertoire and and I took full advantage of it by quietly practicing some of my scales. Sometimes I hit it right  and sometimes.... not so much. But it was fun just the same.

Roger was absolutely delightful to converse with and he also has an endless repertoire with a voice to make it a pleasure listening to. I only wish that I could sing as well.

And I can't leave out Amy's dad. He kept going and going just like the Energizer bunny. How do you folks keep all those songs in your head?

Steph, the budding guitarist, reminded me of my initial foray into the world of guitar playing. If she sticks with it she will be superb in no time.  Amy, tell Kate thank you for the flower. I meant to take it with me but forgot.

I'll look forward to doing this again next summer. But before that I would like to invite you all to visit the mountains of Central Pa. in the fall. That includes you Roger. Although having already made two trips to the States this year, You may have had your fill of us Yanks and our abuse of your language. smile

It was a pleasure meeting you all and thank you again for having me. I look to getting together again.

Hi Joe,

It was great meeting you and, as much as I would like to join your gathering, I am only a poor pensioner so, unless I find I have won he lottery when I return home, I will have to take a rain check on that.

I have been made more than welcome on both my trips to your vast and wonderful country and enjoy discovering the differences between UK and US English. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"