Topic: Kill switch

Hi all,

On Saturday I'm going to find a guitar with a killswitch and have a go. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding them? I've never used one.
  Thanks!

Will

PS: WHO HERE BELIEVES IN GHOSTS?  (0)==W

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: Kill switch

Most guitars do not come with a killswitch. You will have to modify any guitar you buy to make the 3-way switch a killswitch on one of the poles.

Same for a 5-way switch.

Hope you're good with electronics....hehe. Though, an easy way to do it would be to snip the wires off of one of the switch poles (Whichever pickup you're never going to use again)

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

Hi all,

On Saturday I'm going to find a guitar with a killswitch and have a go. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding them? I've never used one.
  Thanks!

Will

What are you trying to achieve with a kill switch? Please do not take this question as a way to flame you I want to know what you are trying to do so that I may answer you correctly. If you don't know how to read a wiring schematic or wire a guitar you may fubar it really fast.

Bootlegger.

Killswitch? Is this the thing I saw John 5 doing in a Fender Custom shop video where they'd rewired a telecaster for him? Both of the tele's two knobs were volume. He could then turn one off and work the two way switch with his right and create a stuttering flickering effect...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

bootleger wrote:
(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Will

What are you trying to achieve with a kill switch? Please do not take this question as a way to flame you I want to know what you are trying to do so that I may answer you correctly. If you don't know how to read a wiring schematic or wire a guitar you may fubar it really fast.

Bootlegger.

Um, I mean is there any cool things I should do with one, and things.

cool
okay??

A kill switch would basically do just as it suggest, kill the signal allowing no sound to come from your guitar.  In other words turning it off just like a light switch.  So in essence you really don't need one just turn off your amp to kill the sound or current.

Bootlegger.

Just turn the volume all the way down. instant kill swith.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

well, this word kill switch is new for me, I don't know what it means or what purpose it has. Can you tell me more about this paranormal? Also talking about guitars, which is your favourite, and especially WHAT is a kill switch. On this one I am completely ignorant. Do you mean, a switch, like a 5 way switch on a fender? What kind of music do you play and what kind of guitar do you have, last thing, do you play for a public?
Thanks

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Here's the clip I mentioned, I think what John 5 has is a killswitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIzR-JtGdbU

Unless anyone else knows better.

cytania wrote:

Here's the clip I mentioned, I think what John 5 has is a killswitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIzR-JtGdbU

Unless anyone else knows better.

Thanks very much, I don't like this person but I'll take a look

cool
okay??

Did you get the right video? Because that was somebody making a guitar for him and then he played a few riffs, but he didn't use a kill switch, there wasn't even one on that guitar. Check you've got the right link.

Will

cool
okay??

If you want to see someone using a kill switch look for a video of Buckethead doing Jordan, he POUNDS the killswitch everytime he strums tongue

I know I've seen it! I can play it, so I'd love a killlswitch. I have a strat, and apparantely, it's hard to put a  kill switch on a Stratocaster.

cool
okay??

Darn, I meant this John 5 video, (use of switch is 3 quarters of way to end);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rhuop6K … mp;search=

Just seen checked out Buckethead doign Jordan, it's a similar sort of thing but that mask is creepy. Why does he wear that bucket hat?

A kill switch is sorta interesting but I can find other ways to do it. Some guitars (especially) strats tend to hum if you set them down...I roll the volume off or sometimes use an A/B box and just switch the guitar to a dead channel...also most tuners (Boss TU-2) have a mute feature while tuning...for some of the efffects you're seeing in the video you might be able to turn the volume off of the pickups you're not using and then use the pickup switch to toggle on and off while playing...I hope that makes sense...  I would think that it would be simple to have a tech wire in a kill switch for you...I believe in less is more on a guitar...hope that helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.