Topic: 12 strings;any truth to this.

Been told to restring my 12 strings this way;Ee,Aa,etc....instead of eE,aA,etc....supposed to play easier(picking single notes)and would sound better.Any ideas anybody?

Re: 12 strings;any truth to this.

I think you'll have problem reversing the larger diameter strings as the nut and bridge slots will all be the wrong size.

I have to agree with Baldguitardude. I don't see that it would make it easier to play. If you do decide to go through the process of changing the nut and bridge let us know how it works out for you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I concur with the above. Playing a down stroke it is easier if the thinner string comes first.

I have owned a 12 string, off and on, since the mid 60's and I have never heard of doing this, a 12er is not designed to be strung this way so I would avoid it like the plague.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you  for the feedback,i'll leave the way it is.

I think tuning it down to Eb might be a worthwhile test of playability, esp. if you're a string bender like I am. smile

I like doing the 1/2 step down, just keep a 12 string Capo around if you need to play in standard.  A regular one will work, but not as well.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

The way dudes asked about is the way Rickenbacker 12-string guitars get their unique sound.  But, as others pointed out, it would require re-working  the nut and bridge slots.  The reason Ricks sound different is that the human ear hears the very slight delay in the picked strings even though the difference is less than a second.  We end to remember the last note  played.  It would be interesting to see if Rickenbacker would be interested in making an acoustic guitar similar to a 360-12.

Bob Cummins wrote:

The way dudes asked about is the way Rickenbacker 12-string guitars get their unique sound.  But, as others pointed out, it would require re-working  the nut and bridge slots.  The reason Ricks sound different is that the human ear hears the very slight delay in the picked strings even though the difference is less than a second.  We end to remember the last note  played.  It would be interesting to see if Rickenbacker would be interested in making an acoustic guitar similar to a 360-12.

Rickenbacker makes some great acoustics. They are hard to find and very expensive if you do. Look them up online and you will see.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Bob Cummins wrote:

Thank you for this Bob. I did not know that Rickenbacker strung this way.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You can certainly but ready-made nuts, I got a standard eE aA.. one but you could probably get one in EaAa just to try it out.

David Crosby has his 12-string set up the way you describe - reverse of what is commonly available.

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Now you have me wanting to experiment, first thing I'll have to do is find a 12er to sacrifice. At least I can say "honest honey, I really don't have one set up like this---"

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".